Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
I have a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan on my ipad 1 which has always been active on my account. When I tried to transfer the service to my ipad min, it doesn't allow me to activate the unlimited data plan. Does anyone know when AT&T turned off this option on the mini?

keziapurrs

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
Houston, TX
I didn't know the unlimited data plan still existed when the mini was released. Did they extend it foe the mini and not for smartphones?

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Isn't transferring the plan as simple as cutting the sim and putting it in the mini?
Or does AT&T need to authorize it on the new device or some other draconian BS?

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Transferring unlimited from iPad1 to iPad3 was as simple as entering my account name and password into the cellular settings tab. No need to mess with SIMs.

I sure hope they haven't cut us all of, since I have been keeping the unlimited alive even when I wasn't really using much data.

A quick google shows that many others have had no problems trasnferring unlimited data to the mini.

Did you try to swap sims, or just enter your account info in the cellular settings tab?

m66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
keziapurrs: they didn't offer the unlimited plans for the mini unless you had an active account that was unlimited when you first purchased the ipad 1.

Paulbennet95: I haven't gone that route, I'd prefer to transfer the plan to the mini by updating my account info from one device to the next.

Tmarks: I'm sure that transferring the plan was easy in the past, but did you look at how old the information was on google? A lot of the transfers occurred in 2012, but not recently. I saw another person post having the same experience as me, 7 days ago. I went through the cellular data in the ipad settings and also through the AT&T ipad landing page. Both said that the plan is not supported on the mini. I tried this yesterday. I would prefer to not cut up my SIM card unless I had to. I could always wait for the next mini to come out with and hope to transfer the plan to that device immediately.

So for now, i have a gimped cellular mini. I'll leave the unlimited on the old ipad 1.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
well, that sucks. I did notice most of the mini unlimited transfer discussions on google were late 2012, but just figured when that was when most people jumped devices.

Hope this doesn't stay this way, as I was intending to transfer my unlimited on Ipad 3 to the next generation of mini. Bummer.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I cut down my iPad 1 sim and stuck it in the mini. No problems.

If you want LTE all you need to do is get a nano sim (or use the one the ipad came with)
Under cellular data, view account and login with your info and you can transfer the unlimited over, and it will enable the LTE feature

With your ipad 1 sim, that sim doesnt support LTE. Even if LTE works, it will work very crappy.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
If you want LTE all you need to do is get a nano sim (or use the one the ipad came with)
Under cellular data, view account and login with your info and you can transfer the unlimited over, and it will enable the LTE feature

I did this a few months ago with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.