Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Are people still droneing on about the iPad mini not having a retina display?!
The Mac's were never a Problem, iPhones were never a problem, nor were iPads 'till the iPad 3. Just shut up.

VHS was never a problem, laserdisc was never a problem, 240p tube TVs and huge ass CRTs were never a problem. Hell, even no TVs and radios were never a problem. Ask your grandparents.

People now have higher standard which growing rapidly, who's to blame really? It's the price of progress, and even the closest contender of iPad mini (Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire) came up with cheaper price point, or better display. Why can't people complain?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I think you could do a bit shutting up as well. So stop flapping your gums about how no one had a problem with the displays on the first iPads. Maybe you didn't, and this may come as a shock to you so prepare yourself, but you don't represent the masses of iPad users.

My gums do not flap.
My teeth are perfectly in tact, thank you very much :cool:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Computer screens were never a problem before they were color, do you want to go back to monochrome green?

Dot matrix printers were never a problem before laser printers...

Dial up was never a problem before ISDN...

VHS was never a problem before DVD...

ETC.

You can buy color monitors right now. You can buy laser printers right now. You can buy insanely fast internet right now. You can buy DVD players right now.

You can't buy an iPad mini with a retina display right now.

No amount of complaining about the iPad mini's display is going to magically make it retina any faster. We all know it's inferior to the iPad 3/4 display, we all know there will eventually be a mini with a retina display, so threads like this are just beating a dead horse.

moosemeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Why can't people have an opinion

Obviously, opinions vary on the Mini. I have one and I'm not fond of my screen either. My issue is brightness. When I see people post that they have to set their brightness at 50% or lower to avoid excessive light, I scratch my head. My iPad mini screen is DIM. It's dimmer than the screens on my iPad 3, iPad 4 and Nexus 7. 100% brightness on my mini is equivalent to roughly 50% brightness on my other iPads. If I set my brightness to 50% or lower, it's dim to the point of being barely readable. Suspecting I may have a defective mini, I went to a store and tried two minis. They seemed just as dim. So either someone in Apple's supply chain is using dimmer LEDs for some of these minis or people's opinions about brightness vary greatly. But my real problem is with the people attacking the OP for stating an opinion. Stop acting like a cult and let people speak. All the OP did was voice an opinion about a tablet and some people jumped on the person like cult members attacking a non-believer. It's just a tablet folks, not a god. Everyone isn't going to love the same thing. And for those saying "well, just don't buy it", that's equally dumb. If your kid's teacher is terrible would you just not send them to school? Avoidance isn't the answer to life's problems. There very well may be an issue with the brightness on some of the mini's. If everyone just "shuts up", how would we ever know? After all, searching for answers about why my screen is so dim is what lead me here in he first place.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Obviously, opinions vary on the Mini.
.... So either someone in Apple's supply chain is using dimmer LEDs for some of these minis or people's opinions about brightness vary greatly. But my real problem is with the people attacking the OP for stating an opinion. Stop acting like a cult and let people speak. All the OP did was voice an opinion about a tablet and some people jumped on the person like cult members attacking a non-believer. It's just a tablet folks, not a god. ...
If everyone just "shuts up", how would we ever know? After all, searching for answers about why my screen is so dim is what lead me here in he first place.

Well said, we come here for opinions and answers, both of which can vary based on device and use. No need to stiffle the conversation with words like "just shut up"... I think the moderator should remove such foolish posts.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
VHS was never a problem, laserdisc was never a problem, 240p tube TVs and huge ass CRTs were never a problem. Hell, even no TVs and radios were never a problem. Ask your grandparents.

People now have higher standard which growing rapidly, who's to blame really? It's the price of progress, and even the closest contender of iPad mini (Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire) came up with cheaper price point, or better display. Why can't people complain?

Bingo.

Isn't it what forums are for? Discuss all aspects of the products? If everyone was polled to see if they liked topics before they were posted nothing would be posted.

----------

Well said, we come here for opinions and answers, both of which can vary based on device and use. No need to stiffle the conversation with words like "just shut up"... I think the moderator should remove such foolish posts.

Didn't you know a bunch of Steve Jobs illegitimate children post here?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I was just now thinking to myself how lovely the mini's screen is when I stumbled across this thread. To me, because of the distance at which I hold my mini, the lower res is not much of an issue. Hard for me to make out pixels at that distance anyway. A retina will undoubtedly be better, particularly for stuff like color saturation, but the current mini's display is fine.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A retina will undoubtedly be better, particularly for stuff like color saturation, but the current mini's display is fine.

Retina will be better for type, espcially small type. A better quality screen, regardless of its ppi, will be better for color satuation, color accuacy, whites, and blacks.

But I agree that many people aren't bothered by the low ppi of the current screen.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010

And these higher standards keep pushing us forward :D

Years ago, I had a ton of devices to deal with, none of which interconnected with each other, it was a PITA to do anything! iPhone started the trend of phones being so advanced, we forget that they can still make phone calls!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.