Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Hey guys, just wanted to share this bit of exciting photography news. This summer, I'm embarking on a 50 day photography road trip across America and Canada. All total, over 7,000 miles. The trip is called "Shootapalooza II: The Sequel." I'm heading to Maine to teach photography for a month at the Maine Media Workshops, and I'm taking nearly the longest route possible. I'll be stopping off in major cities and interesting towns of both countries along my travel from Louisiana to Maine, making constructed fictional images for my main body of photographic work. I have a Fictions project that I've been working on for the past year, and want to finalize and complete it while on this trip. I'm also creating portraits of those I meet along my travels for a massive side project. I'm heading west, traveling up the coast, exploring the American midwest, and covering the width of Canada. Any advice or tips on the various cities I'm venturing into would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm doing casting calls right now for talent in some of the locations. If there are photographers who have an interest in being an assistant in a city, perhaps if they're curious about seeing how photographs like this are built, feel free to get in touch.

Shootapalooza blog from 2010, to get a feel for what the original was like: http://www.andybloxham.com/shootapalooza

The Kickstarter currently running for this trip, to help cover basic travel expenses: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloxham/shootapalooza-ii-the-sequel

The current list of cities/towns for this photography road trip are:

Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
Las Cruces, NM
Phoenix, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Medford, OR
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Vancouver, BC
Kamloops, BC
Calgary, AB
Regina, SK
Winnipeg, MB
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago, IL
Toronto, ON
Montreal, QC
Quebec City, QC
Woodstock, NB
Rockport, ME

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Ha, thanks.

Australia will happen eventually. There and the bulk of Europe are definitely on the list for upcoming photo tours in the future!

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Cool.... best of luck. I'm willing to bet you'll have no issues in Austin,TX keeping it weird.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
This sounds like such fun. How are you not going to NYC though? The mecca of street photography. Suprisingly, there's still a lot of untapped vision here. Most street photography here in NYC tends to be very stereotypical.

If you need an assist in either NYC or Philly, page me.
;)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Nice to see you're getting this going again. The West should offer a wealth of settings for the type of work you do. I'll be interested in seeing what you can make of my adopted homeland.

Dale

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
This sounds like such fun. How are you not going to NYC though? The mecca of street photography. Suprisingly, there's still a lot of untapped vision here. Most street photography here in NYC tends to be very stereotypical.

If you need an assist in either NYC or Philly, page me.
;)

010.jpg

Last time I made a trip like this, it was all midwest and east coast. This is the image I made in lower Manhattan. So that's why on part II of this trip, I'm heading west and looping back around into Maine. But I will be coming back through NYC in late August and might stop off for a photo, perhaps!

Thanks for the comments, guys! This trip has ballooned out even more. I've added Chico, California, Cleveland, Iowa, and Essex Junction, VT. It's going to be rather intense, almost two months on the road making imagery. I think a gallery in Toronto might even be opening up to let me set up a studio inside of it for a massive portrait shoot while there!

If anyone wants to follow the trip while it's happening, I'll be running a complete travel blog at http://www.andybloxham.com

And there's still 10 days left on the Kickstarter, if anyone wants to own some schwag from the trip, including final prints. I even added stickers to every reward $15 and above!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloxham/shootapalooza-ii-the-sequel

Thought I'd throw this possibility out there to you photo collectors. I need less than $500 to reach funding on the "Shootapalooza II: The Sequel" Kickstarter! One backer at this level would make this fundraising a success! This image is an example of some of what you will receive. The description is:

Wallpaper and postcards, plus a signed and framed 16"x24" print of any constructed fictional photograph made on this trip. Each image will be in an edition of 10. This is a great chance to pick up an early edition of new work! This print will be presented in the exact same archival materials and frame that I use for the current Fictions touring exhibition. Frame size is 21"x28". Additionally, if you receive edition 1/10 of the photograph, I will also give you the original storyboard sketch made for the image. If you're 2/10 or above, I will send you an original storyboard sketch of a separate photograph. Additionally, you will receive a signed Fujiroid from the production of the photograph.

Attachments

• photo copy 3.JPG
    photo copy 3.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 111

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Wow, sounds like a great trip! Too bad you aren't getting any further to the east coast of Canada than Woodstock, the maritime provinces are gorgeous! If you can get to Cape Breton or Newfoundland you won't regret it.

Last edited:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Wow, sounds like a great trip! Too bad you aren't getting any further to the east coast of Canada than Woodstock, the maritime provinces are gorgeous! If you can get to Cape Breton or Newfoundland you won't regret it.

If I had more time, I would certainly travel all the way into Newfoundland. Ideally, it'd be great to visit all of the provinces in one trip. Time restraints have me being in Maine that weekend, though, to start a month of teaching photo workshops (which are going to be a blast)! Go, go, go, go... infinity.

I'll make it to there, Prince Edward, and Nova Scotia one day, though!

I see this becoming a great trip…

I will probably raise my pledge later ;)

Aha, thanks! I was wondering who from Macrumors had pledged. Thanks again!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Last post on the trip! Thought I'd expose a little on what the backside of logistical organizing looks like. It started out with just a big collection of sketches based on story snippets. Each will eventually become a photograph.

shootplan1.JPG

Then every destination is listed out, and I have to factor in the geography of that city, who I know, what type of facility access they'd have there, what other resources might be available, and all kinds of others factors. Then I start plugging shoots into different cities as a first round... this all will probably still change around a little bit as I get into schedules and specifics with people all over North America for that nearly 2 month stretch of time...

shootplan2.JPG

But at least things are shaping up!

I won't post again about the trip unless someone has a question. It's just a fairly unique thing to do for making photographs, thought some of you would enjoy seeing "the other" type of photography process.

Also, for those who are backing the project for prints, I'm excited to announce that all of the finished work from Shootapalooza II, including the debut exhibit, the 8"x10" and 13"x19" collection prints, and my new portfolio, will be printed on Harman by Hahnemühle's Gloss Art Fiber papers! Many often inquire about my paper choices, and this is the paper that receives the most inquiries. It's fantastic, and will be a great form of presentation to showcase the work made on this trip!

If anyone would still like to back this project and perhaps even receive one or more of these images as finished photographs after the trip concludes and 200 hours of post-production wraps, there is a little less than 2 days left on the Kickstarter. This funding literally just goes to food and gas while on the trip. Everything else regarding the photographs, supplies, gear, etc, comes straight out of my pocket.

The link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bloxham/shootapalooza-ii-the-sequel

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.