Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
anyone know how to do this? its driving me nuts. Have been through every possible profile , adjusted settings, but cannot get it to play on my samsung smart tv.

There has GOT to be a way!

HELP......

below are the settings my Samsung smart TV can see.

UPDATE - change to above, it would seem a simple NORMAL profile on handbrake will work, however these file splay off a usb stick plugged into my samsung. They will NOT work when trying to play from my WD y book live NAS. guess the problem is with the NAS not the TV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 13.02.55.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 13.02.55.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,900
Last edited:

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
?????

anyone know how to do this? its driving me nuts. Have been through every possible profile , adjusted settings, but cannot get it to play on my samsung smart tv.

There has GOT to be a way!

HELP......

below are the settings my Samsung smart TV can see.

UPDATE - change to above, it would seem a simple NORMAL profile on handbrake will work, however these file splay off a usb stick plugged into my samsung. They will NOT work when trying to play from my WD y book live NAS. guess the problem is with the NAS not the TV.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi, I am trying to play mp4 files off a NAS drive via the samsung smart tv.

at first only some files would play so I assumed it was an issue with the file types and the TV not being able to play certain ones. However the files that wouldn't play via NAS will play via a USB stick connected directly to my tv.

Therefore Ive narrowed it down to the NAS being the problem area.

Many Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi, I am trying to play mp4 files off a NAS drive via the samsung smart tv.

at first only some files would play so I assumed it was an issue with the file types and the TV not being able to play certain ones. However the files that wouldn't play via NAS will play via a USB stick connected directly to my tv.

Therefore Ive narrowed it down to the NAS being the problem area.

Many Thanks.
You have a Samsung TV and a NAS. A NAS is a server. Your TV does not see servers as dumb drives storing content. Samsung's AllShare Play handles content on USB devices and servers. AllShare Play handles content on dumb USB devices as expected as long as it is plugged directly into the TV. USB hubs are not supported. Both FAT32 and NTFS are supported. For content on servers--whether it is a Windows PC, Mac, or NAS--the DLNA Function is required.

Read your operator's manual for more information about AllShare Play.

If your NAS does not directly support DLNA, then you will need install a DLNA server on your Mac and then use your Mac to stream content from your NAS to your TV.

Last edited:

gilimanjaro

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Sounds like you have a similar Samsung to mine...

What it will play over DLNA is a subset of what it will play from a USB stick. And what it will play over DLNA is not a whole lot.

In the end I went with a MacMini running Plex Media Server with my NAS attached, and using Plex Player from the MacMini.

If you have a 'recent' Samsung (which I don't), there is a Plex Player native for the Samsung. Otherwise, Plex Media Server can act to be a DLNA server and you can use the DLNA client on your older Samsung.

If you have a powerful NAS (which I don't), you may be able to get Plex Media Server running directly on it.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
My NAS uses a TWONKY DLNA server which was pre installed on the NAS. The all share play can see all the folders and their contents, however it only plays some of the files.

there appears to be an option to upgrade this TWONKY Server on the NAS but its not as simple as just clicking update on the NAS server settings. I will have to take a more in depth look at this. I believe a more update version of TWONKY will allow me to view a wider range of files on my samsung smart tv.

im a bit reluctant to use another DLNA server via my mac as there is one on the NAS , all be it a not fully functional one at the moment!

Thanks for your help.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
My NAS uses a TWONKY DLNA server which was pre installed on the NAS. The all share play can see all the folders and their contents, however it only plays some of the files.

This is to be expected. Your Samsung is a Linux-based computer with a large built-in built-in display. It decodes and renders DLNA content. There is no provision adding codecs to the TV. If you use your TV as a dumb monitor, then your computer handles the decode and rendering of content. All the TV sends to the TV is a audio/video stream.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
This is to be expected. Your Samsung is a Linux-based computer with a large built-in built-in display. It decodes and renders DLNA content. There is no provision adding codecs to the TV. If you use your TV as a dumb monitor, then your computer handles the decode and rendering of content. All the TV sends to the TV is a audio/video stream.

I dont believe this is a codec issue as a file that wont play via my NAS, plays fine when connected direct to TV via USB stick.

I guess im gonna have to buy a media streamer to get around this as i dont want to have to have my laptop on just to stream from my NAS. especially when the reason I purchased this damn NAS was that it had a DLNA server built in.

Dont get me started on the supposed ability of this to work with Time Machine either.......

ricowhaz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
NAS firmware

I use a WD My Book Live and previously most videos didn't work on Samsung TVs but the latest firmware has mostly fixed the issue. Not sure which version of the NAS you have but it could be work logging into it and checking for a firware update. If the firmware update doesn't appear you could contact WD to find out which version you should have.

I have the single disk version of the NAS and my firmware is below
MyBookLive 02.42.02-012 : Core F/W

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
yeh I have the same update as you....MyBookLive 02.42.02-012 : Core F/W

going to spend a few hours on this the weekend......

ok so after weeks playing around, I opened handbrake to find there was an update...installed update and tried some converting.... It seems now simply running a file thaty previusly didnt play through a NORMAL preset allows to play my file on my samsung TV directly from my NAS. Happy Days!!! whatever was in the update seems to have worked.

Last edited:

Bobjones90210

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Switching NAS all MP4s work fine now

I had in issue where some MP4 files would not play on my Samsung Series 6000 TV, spent ages on it, looking at format differences between ones that worked and ones that did not. The ones that worked were all encoded with Nero Recode and the ones that did not, were Handbrake, but in terms of AVC profiles etc... they were very similar. The MP4's were hosted on a WD MyBook Live and served using DLNA.

The solution was something I did not expect. I moved to a NetGear ReadyNAS and suddenly all the MP4s would play perfectly. They even had the capability of pausing (which was not working before). The WD unit has been happily serving content to my Panasonic BluRay player (which would play all the content) and indeed WD TV Live units. It was just the Samsung TV that had issues.

NOTE: My NetGear ReadyNAS syncs with the content on the WD - so the files are the same. Must be something weird with the Samsung-WD combination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.