Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I occasionally find some hilarious .gif files and have yet figured out how to save them on my iMac. I'm also new to OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I occasionally find some hilarious .gif files and have yet figured out how to save them on my iMac. I'm also new to OS X.
To save them, just right-click and save the images. To open them on your Mac, there are several available apps, such as Xee for Mac.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Ok, so it's not built into OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 to view them?

No it is built in. I dunno why the user above wants you to install something.

1) They play automatically when selected in column view
2) You can select a gif in any view and press the space bar, the quicklook window will pop out and loop the gif
3) You can open the gif in any modern web browser
4) Quicktime '7' can play gif files
5) You can open the gif in preview and hold the left or right arrow to move through the frames of the gif.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No it is built in. I dunno why the user above wants you to install something.
I didn't say I wanted anyone to install anything. I said there are several available apps and named one as an example. I also said the files can be opened in Safari. I don't care if anyone installs software, but since the OP didn't specify a preference at first, the suggestion is valid.

Rock-On!!

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to save a gif file. When I click save as, this is what I get. A bunch of single photos that are not animated.

sample gif.jpg

I can't seem to save them any other way. What am I missing?

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
What you're missing is the step before this one: don't open it in Preview (even though that's the default). If you were originally viewing it in a browser, do a right-click and Save As from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.