Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I currently have a 16 gb iphone 5 from att. I would like to just try out t mobiles network in my area to see if its worth it to switch. What would I have to do to use a t mobile prepaid sim for a month to try their network out on my phone?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Go into Tmobile and tell them you want to do that. They will give you the $50 unlimited minutes and texts plan with 500mb data. More data can be had for some additional cash. Alternatively you can order a sim online for their $30 unlimited data (5gb) and texts plan with 100 minutes. You will have to cut the sim to a nano sim size as they don't offer this with a stock nano sim.

It's worth noting that you are very likely not going to get 3G/4g signal as your handset doesn't support tmobiles hspa+ bands in non refarmed networks. Still, you will at least get an indication of how reception is, in general.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
The iPhone I currently have on AT&T was just replaced at an apple store due to power button issue. So I have one of the new model iPhone 5's that has the tmobile capability.

The question I also have is since I am still under contract my phone is not unlocked. How would I go about unlocking the phone without paying large sums of money to AT&T?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
first you'll have to make sure your iphone is unlocked. if it isn't, you can get an unlock on ebay for a few bucks. then you'll need a sim card activation kit. i don't think t-mobile sells this in the nano size, so you'll have to either get the full size or the micro and cut that down. next part is simple. you go to the activation site (http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaidactivation), enter your codes and pick the plan you want to try out. after all that you should be set in trying t-mobile prepaid.

:edit:
the activation link doesn't seem to work if you click it, but you can copy/paste the url into the browser, and it should work.

:edit 2:

Go into Tmobile and tell them you want to do that. They will give you the $50 unlimited minutes and texts plan with 500mb data. More data can be had for some additional cash. Alternatively you can order a sim online for their $30 unlimited data (5gb) and texts plan with 100 minutes. You will have to cut the sim to a nano sim size as they don't offer this with a stock nano sim.

the op doesn't need to pay $50/$30 if all he wants to do is try out the service; he can opt for one of their pay-by-the-day plans. for instance, unlimited data (up to 200mb high speed 4g), texts and calls is $3/day.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
the op doesn't need to pay $50/$30 if all he wants to do is try out the service; he can opt for one of their pay-by-the-day plans. for instance, unlimited data (up to 200mb high speed 4g), texts and calls is $3/day.

He said he wanted a one month plan. I responded to that. Either way, good information.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I just did an unlock on ebay. I did not know tmobile did a day by day trial. What is that all about?

They let you pay $3 for each day you actually use the phone. This means you have to use data, texts, and/or voice that day and you are charged $3 for the day. Keep in mind, if you go this route, unless you turn cellular data off, you are likely to have cellular data pulled at some point throught the day. This will count as "usage", so you'd pass $30 in 10 days and $50 in 17 days. I think your best value is going to be the $30 plan if you don't make many phone calls. That will give you plenty of wiggle room to try out the network as you move about the city/state/country. I plan on giving this a shot, but I don't stand to save much money monthly, so I've been lazy about it!

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
They let you pay $3 for each day you actually use the phone. This means you have to use data, texts, and/or voice that day and you are charged $3 for the day. Keep in mind, if you go this route, unless you turn cellular data off, you are likely to have cellular data pulled at some point throught the day. This will count as "usage", so you'd pass $30 in 10 days and $50 in 17 days. I think your best value is going to be the $30 plan if you don't make many phone calls. That will give you plenty of wiggle room to try out the network as you move about the city/state/country. I plan on giving this a shot, but I don't stand to save much money monthly, so I've been lazy about it!

Cool thanks for that we'll explained reply. I think I might opt for a few days just to see how it is in my area that I live in and the areas I travel to with work and whatnot.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I currently have a 16 gb iphone 5 from att. I would like to just try out t mobiles network in my area to see if its worth it to switch. What would I have to do to use a t mobile prepaid sim for a month to try their network out on my phone?
You will not get the full experience with your phone. You need T-Mobile or unlocked version(post April 12). T-Mobile does have nano sims available(been available fo at least 3 months). I travel to king of pursia often and it's been flawless 4g on my T-Mobile iPhone 5.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You will not get the full experience with your phone. You need T-Mobile or unlocked version(post April 12). T-Mobile does have nano sims available(been available fo at least 3 months). I travel to king of pursia often and it's been flawless 4g on my T-Mobile iPhone 5.

He already said above that he has the new model iPhone 5 with the Tmobile bands.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
It's worth noting that you are very likely not going to get 3G/4g signal as your handset doesn't support tmobiles hspa+ bands in non refarmed networks. Still, you will at least get an indication of how reception is, in general.

Sorry to bring this back after a month, but I've had a hard time finding a thread that first my situation exactly, and you've been very helpful with this thread. Thanks for that.

I just wanted to ask if you knew how to check out what areas or what bands have been re-farmed on T-Mobile?
I have a launch AT&T iPhone 5, so I know that it doesn't natively support the extra T-Mobile bands.
However, I'm in San Francisco, and I remember T-Mobile mentioning some previously unsupported bands would soon be supported in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am just not sure if this means the band situation has been taken care of, or if there are additional bands I just won't be able to get?

Ideally I would of course like to have it be compatible with all bands that T-Mobile has. The OP was 'lucky' enough to have his iPhone replaced with a new one that supports the T-Mobile bands in his area.

Thanks for any additional info you may know about this.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sorry to bring this back after a month, but I've had a hard time finding a thread that first my situation exactly, and you've been very helpful with this thread. Thanks for that.

I just wanted to ask if you knew how to check out what areas or what bands have been re-farmed on T-Mobile?
I have a launch AT&T iPhone 5, so I know that it doesn't natively support the extra T-Mobile bands.
However, I'm in San Francisco, and I remember T-Mobile mentioning some previously unsupported bands would soon be supported in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am just not sure if this means the band situation has been taken care of, or if there are additional bands I just won't be able to get?

Ideally I would of course like to have it be compatible with all bands that T-Mobile has. The OP was 'lucky' enough to have his iPhone replaced with a new one that supports the T-Mobile bands in his area.

Thanks for any additional info you may know about this.

http://Www.airportal.de

It's an unofficial map, meaning its not released by tmobile, but rather data collected from third parties (users like us). Personally, such information I find to be even better and more reliable than a simple map the carrier pushes out. I am actually giving tmobile a run currently and find the map to be pretty good.

Also, please never be sorry for bumping a thread. It's a breath of fresh air to see someone actually research and post additional questions in an already existing thread rather than creating another. It helps with the clutter and is helpful potentially for people looking for the same information in the future. Kudos!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.