Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm looking at getting my mother an Apple TV for Mothers day which is next Sunday here in AU. Shes been wanting to share her pictures with the family and I figure it's the best way of getting them out of her MBP and onto the living room LCD TV. And do much more...

But I see it's been a while since an update and I'd hate get one now only to find Apple releasing a new (much better) model in June at the WWDC. Yes I know it's a low cost item compared to say a new MBP but still.

Is it worth getting now or maybe thing of something else for Mothers Day?

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
Just get it now. There is always something better just around the corner in the electronics world so don't wait if you don't have to.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Thats what I was thinking as a) there has been no concrete reports/rumors a new one is about to be released. Apart form the iTV rumors which I probably could not afford anyway if it's an entire TV replacement. and b) like I said it's a relatively low cost item so get it now and wait and said if I 'need' the next one when it comes out.

Just one thing, I know it's probably common sense but they have access to an Ethernet port where the Apple TV would live with a direct link the the network router which should would better than WiFi right?

That said the MBP has a WiFi link to the router so maybe it doesn't matter, I've never set up an Apple TV before.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Just one thing, I know it's probably common sense but they have access to an Ethernet port where the Apple TV would live with a direct link the the network router which should would better than WiFi right?

That said the MBP has a WiFi link to the router so maybe it doesn't matter, I've never set up an Apple TV before.

one would think, but the aTV has had some strange issues with it's ethernet port, I've seen several posts here about an aTV not working right, and changing from wired to wireless fixes it right up.
That being said, I use both of mine (aTV3 and jailbroken aTV2) wired with no problems.

as long as the wireless has a decent connection, it probably has more than enough bandwidth.

alos as a side note, unless you use flickr, or photo stream, a computer must be on and running iTunes to access your photos.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I was wondering the same thing. I guess I can buy now, then sell later to offset the cost if a new one is announced next month.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I highly doubt the Apple TV device will be updated this year. They just revved the hardware (more power efficient cheaper processor, better wireless) a few months ago with the A1469 model.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
they have access to an Ethernet port where the Apple TV would live with a direct link the the network router which should would better than WiFi right?

Wi-Fi is pretty good on these. My two Apple TV 3's are wireless to an AirPort Extreme router. I can stream 1080p video from my Mac Mini without a hiccup, video playback starts within just a few seconds. But if you have the Ethernet there, may as well use it.

Civil Engineer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
Air Play

The only thing about wired ethernet is that you cannot run both wired and wireless, so air play does not work with wired. May not matter to your mother.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The only thing about wired ethernet is that you cannot run both wired and wireless, so air play does not work with wired. May not matter to your mother.

AirPlay will work regardless of how you connect your AppleTV. All that matters is that the two devices are on the same local network.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Nope I airplay and airplay mirror to my appletvs all the time from my iPads and iPhones Andre appletvs are connected via Ethernet!

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Mother's Day May 12
WWDC June 10

You should be (just) within the return period.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This post is false information.

Uh... let clarify this.

No home device should have more than 1 path to a destination, so when the guy says, can't do WIFI and Wired at the same time, I gather he means if you ethernet your ATV, disable its WIFI.

More info:

Your ATV, even in WIFI does not talk DIRECTLY to your laptop. When you AirPlay, your laptop talks to the WIFI router, THEN the WIFI router forward that information to the ATV, either through WIFI or through ethernet, but not both. Both will confuse the heck out of things, and that's what I gather what civil engineer is saying.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
as long as the wireless has a decent connection, it probably has more than enough bandwidth.
Thanks for the info, might just get the ATV first and ethernet leads later if needed. Just wanted to just the port they had installed for network devices in the home entertainment area.

alos as a side note, unless you use flickr, or photo stream, a computer must be on and running iTunes to access your photos.
Yes I thought that was the case BUT I was also told if you have a NAS it can access that.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009

Airplay absolutely DOES work with a wired connection. I use it all the time.

----------

Yes I thought that was the case BUT I was also told if you have a NAS it can access that.

Unfortunately not the case.

kokeropie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
AirPlay will work regardless of how you connect your AppleTV. All that matters is that the two devices are on the same local network.

Does Airplay on ATV require Airport Express? Or any wifi router can support airplay as long as the other idevice has airplay installed?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Does Airplay on ATV require Airport Express? Or any wifi router can support airplay as long as the other idevice has airplay installed?

As long as the aTV and the device your airplaying from are on the same network it should work fine,

my network is a mess, downstairs is the apple TV,PS3 and ADSL router connected together and wired, upstairs is a Macbook Pro, imac and PS3 all wired together on a hub, i use a power-line converter to get a wired network from upstairs to the router downstairs.

The only wifi in the house comes from upstairs, the iMac using network sharing shares a WiFi signal that my iPad and iPhone use to connect to the home wired network, airplay works fine using this somewhat convoluted route

So a simple aTV connected to a wireless router or hub should airplay fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.