Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
And don't forget SATA III.

That has to be the worst. How could Apple have not brought that in a year or two ago. I find it so embarrassing. How can my gaming PC's have lots of Sata3 and it's nowhere near the price of a Mac Pro.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
They could have the GPU on a PCIe card and use data only Thunderbolt and at the same time, up the bandwidth to the newer 20 Gigabit kind. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Laptops often have integrated and discreet graphics, this would be the logical way of Apple giving everyone the best of both worlds.

Yeah, hence my "If they have to choose one" clause. I really doubt its an either/or prospect, but if it is and they go with TB...that's a bad sign.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Actually, it is.

Asus's solution uses a loopback cable that plugs into the discrete GPU on one end, and the Thunderbolt card on the other. The Thunderbolt card "captures" the DisplayPort data and routes it through the TB port.

Apple is unlikely to go for such a crude solution.

That leaves three choices:

1) Make a Mac Pro that has an upgradable GPU on an MXM carrier (like the older iMacs), but doesn't support running a discrete PCI-e GPU over Thunderbolt

2) Make a Mac Pro that has the GPU soldered onto the logic board, but once again doesn't support running a discrete PCI-e GPU over Thunderbolt

3) Make a custom GPU PCB (similar to the AGP video cards that supported ADC, they had an extra edge connector for the monitor data) that has the DisplayPort output on the PCB itself, and routes into a proprietary connector on the logic board

TB is not compatible with the "idea" Mac Pro. It is for integrated systems. The Mac Pro has PCI-e slots. It does not need Thunderbolt (tough **** if you bought a TB monitor and now you can't use it). By forcing Thunderbolt into the Mac Pro, you effectively limit the expansion capabilities of the machine in one or more ways.

-SC
folks have been saying this since at least last year.
Thing is, I don't think such a technical hurdle will get in the way of Apple + Intel if they decide they need to implement TB with discrete GPU on a PCIe card.

Of course Intel would love everyone to only use their graphic solutions (and stop spending money on anything by Nvidia and AMD). But they also love to showcase their technology with partners like Apple.
That said, with Apples current obssesion with form over function and ever smaller form factors, I wouldn't be surprised to see a high performance integrated GPU on the MB with some kind of CPU style cooling solution.
Maybe they will leave a few PCIe x8 and x4 slots for expansion, but no dedicated graphics slot.

However that would kind of go against the GPGPU trend that we have been hearing about for a couple years now. I know my C4D users can't shut up about it.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
That said, with Apples current obssesion with form over function and ever smaller form factors, I wouldn't be surprised to see a high performance integrated GPU on the MB with some kind of CPU style cooling solution.
However that would kind of go against the GPGPU trend that we have been hearing about for a couple years now. I know my C4D users can't shut up about it.

Soon you can have the GPU over Thunderbolt - as well as your boot drive, media drive, and Time Machine backup.

Way down the road, it will all be integrated into one neat box called a computer.

Then they will break it up again... but not until ports become fast enough!

It's an exciting time. :)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I guess we missed the April deadline, and soon May will be over...?

I can not believe they are stringing their customers along and have really been since 2010, C'Mon bring out a new MP guys, we are all waiting for one, and I refuse to buy a current model or refurb because it is a waste of money.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

The beginning of the news story says it all. I don't think anyone considered April or May a "deadline" based on this story.

MacDailyNews, which does not have much of a track record on rumors, says one of its sources said Apple will announce a replacement to the Mac Pro at some point in the next several months.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
So..its May.
June will disappoint us with still nothing at WWDC?

I can not believe they are stringing their customers along and have really been since 2010, C'Mon bring out a new MP guys, we are all waiting for one, and I refuse to buy a current model or refurb because it is a waste of money.

I was going to say that "we're running out of time on this rumour". Now I don't need to....

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Didn't Mr. Cook basically negate this rumor by saying Apple wasn't releasing anything new until fall? Seems like a idiotic thing for Apple to lump all new releases into the last two quarters of the year, but that's what I understood him to say. They did this last year and the stock has already suffered, but maybe that's just my take

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
He didn't say that, he said there would be "really great stuff" coming in the fall. That's vague, some people have interpreted it as nothing new until fall. I think it's more likely we'll see spec bumps on products before then, just not any new product lines or new form factors until fall and beyond. And I think he realizes that even a major update to the MP wouldn't be particularly newsworthy, it may happen in the next few months (although based on Intel's schedule, later may be more likely) but isn't something they're going to hype.

flyboym535i

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I heard from an unproven, unreliable source that Apple will be releasing something in the next undetermined length of time. It may or may not be a Mac Pro. It may be an ice cream maker, or a hot dog roasting stick with biometric security protection.

And this is considered "news"... ?

bebopple

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I heard from an unproven, unreliable source that Apple will be releasing something in the next undetermined length of time. It may or may not be a Mac Pro. It may be an ice cream maker, or a hot dog roasting stick with biometric security protection.

And this is considered "news"... ?

Yeah. Enough rumors already.

daviddbrand

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
Revolutionary Fan Blades?

It will feature all new and revolutionary fan blades that meet European regulations. :D

Aren't ALL fan blades "revolutionary" :)

Remembering the days when my G5 cheesegrater could turn a stack of papers in my office into a whirlwind of confetti-- Full WIND-TUNNEL mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.