Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage1.png
Google has updated its Gmail for iOS app with a pair of new features aimed at Google power-users.

Users clicking links in emails can now have those links open directly in Google's YouTube, Chrome or Google Maps apps, rather than going to the mobile web versions in Safari.

Also, users who use multiple Gmail accounts in the app can sign out of one of them without signing out of all of them, a useful update for some.
What's new

- YouTube, Google Maps and Chrome links go directly to the app instead of the mobile web, if installed. You can turn this off using the in-app settings.

- Added support for signing out of a single account instead of having to sign out of all accounts at once.
Gmail for iOS is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated With Direct Linking to YouTube, Chrome and Google Maps Apps

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Google's infiltration on my iOS devices are now complete. Unlike the incoherent iOS native apps.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Google's infiltration on my iOS devices are now complete. Unlike the incoherent iOS native apps.

Yes....cause before this you couldn't open Youtube videos from Safari, or open a map link in Apple Maps, or open a URL from mail in Safari.

Oh...wait.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure we've all been "infiltrated" by Newsstand.

I can't wait to be infiltrated by a new Mac Pro!

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
what a weekend!

...and another thing about that Samsung commercial— oops, wrong thread. :)

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Cool. Now it would be nice to be able to save an image in an email to the camera roll. If I am missing something and you can do this already please let me know. Thanks.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Cool. now it would be nice to be able to save an image in an email to the camera roll. If I am missing something and you can do this already please let me know. Thanks.

Press and hold the picture once it is open.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Yes....cause before this you couldn't open Youtube videos from Safari, or open a map link in Apple Maps, or open a URL from mail in Safari.

Oh...wait.

Your reading comprehension is questionable. :confused: I never said I couldn't do it in Safari.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Realized today that Google got rid of "push" email (using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) in Gmail, so the native iOS Mail app doesn't notify of emails in real-time—can only be set to check mail at 15-, 30-minute, etc. intervals). Had to download the Gmail app.

Basically ditched iOS Mail and replaced it with Gmail on my home screen dock. :(

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-surprise-new-iphone-buyers-apple-store-reps

Google has been schooling Apple (and its users) in exactly how reliant they are on Google's services.

EwybC5u.jpg

Sad. :(

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Realized today that Google got rid of "push" email (using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) in Gmail, so the native iOS Mail app doesn't notify of emails in real-time—can only be set to check mail at 15-, 30-minute, etc. intervals). Had to download the Gmail app.

Basically ditched iOS Mail and replaced it with Gmail on my home screen dock. :(

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-surprise-new-iphone-buyers-apple-store-reps

Google has been schooling Apple (and its users) in exactly how reliant they are on Google's services.

Or you can just use CalDav.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Your reading comprehension is questionable. :confused: I never said I couldn't do it in Safari.

When you say that you are glad that the Gmail app can do it as opposed to "the incoherent iOS native apps", that implies that you are suggesting that everything listed is not possible in the native apps.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
When you say that you are glad that the Gmail app can do it as opposed to "the incoherent iOS native apps", that implies that you are suggesting that everything listed is not possible in the native apps.

...or I could have meant that Apple has no design consistency in their own app. :rolleyes:

----------

I thought CalDAV is calendar-only?

and Contacts.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
For basic reading, searching, replying, etc. I still find stock Mail to be superior by far.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Google recognized something that was clunky before for those of us that use their Gmail app together with the YouTube app, Google Maps app, and Chrome -- and they made it a much more seamless experience on iOS. Kudos to Google!

I hope Apple's paying attention to these kinds of little things related to UX and taking notes. Specifically, giving users a toggle to turn the integration on and off. If you want it, it's there; but if you don't, you can turn it off and have things work the way they always have. Very smart.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I used to have my custom Google Apps domain set up through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and thought I would hate having to do it any other way. However, CalDAV and CardDAV work perfectly for me.

To use CalDAV, you simply set up your Gmail account through the "Gmail" Add Account option. This will handle your Mail (Imap), Calendars (CalDAV), and Notes (show as emails in your Gmail account). To use CardDAV, you have to add "Other" account and pick "Add CardDAV Account from the list with the server being "google.com". I would think that future iterations of iOS would support CardDAV within the "Gmail" Add Account option for a single setup solution.

Also, make sure you go to https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect if you have multiple Calendars in your Gmail account you want to access on your phone.

----------

Is it possible to add an Exchange account to gmail?
Google announced last December that Exchange support, offered with its Google Sync service, would be removed as part of the company's "winter cleaning." Google Sync allowed push email, along with calendar and contact syncing, via Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The best thing is that Google doesn't wait until a new version of an OS to release updates as a "feature". The update as they are needed according to customer feedback. The lack of Apple updating their own apps through the year, without an new version of iOS 7, shows their shortsightedness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.