Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
When I highlight a photo in iPhoto and click Info, I don't get the date and time the photo was taken. It show only the time that the photo was put on my computer in iPhoto.

I thought time of photo, and even GPS location, was imprinted on each photo (taken by my iPhone 4S by the way).

I have iPhoto 11 on my Macbook Pro running Lion.

Thanks.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 1.14.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 1.14.31 PM.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 486

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
This is part of my screen in iPhoto. That top right part is where the date and time of the photo should be, right?

Yes, that is where the EXIF data will be shown, if it is available.

How did you import the photos into iPhoto? Did you import them directly from your iPhone, or did you copy them over from another location, email them to yourself, etc.?

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
They arrived directly through Photo Stream from my iPhone 4S. Plus, I have photos from other sources. None show that data.

I read somewhere that iPhoto 11 has simply eliminated this data. Is this true? What the heck kind of reasoning is that? It is actually important to keep the information of when and where a photo was taken, and if iPhoto cannot handle this anymore, it is a severely inefficient photo program to be relying on.

I sure would like to know if there is a solution.

Thank you so much.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
I read somewhere that iPhoto 11 has simply eliminated this data. Is this true? What the heck kind of reasoning is that?

I have iPhoto '11 and can import photos and view EXIF data without any problems. It seems unlikely to me that iPhoto is stripping the EXIF data upon import. It is more likely that the file that iPhoto is importing does not have any EXIF data attached.

Try this to help diagnose the problem: find a photo on your computer that has EXIF data (i.e., one that you can currently open in Preview or another program and can view the EXIF data so you know it is there). Manually import that photo into iPhoto, either by dragging it onto the iPhoto icon or by File->Import to Library. Then try to view the EXIF data in iPhoto. Is it still there?

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Thank you so much for your response! You encouraged me to go digging a little further. I had previously checked many photos and found no information in that top right yellow box, on the second line. Just dashes. And the date/time stamp listed under the Image number (name) was clearly wrong on many photos. So it looked like it only showed the import-into-iPhoto time as opposed to time the photo was taken.
However, when I just checked again, some of those very same photos did indeed have the correct time of day on them. I began to wonder if the time was changing based on when they popped in from Photo Stream. But I took a new photo and delayed the Photo Stream transfer, and it still showed the correct time later.
On further examination, I noticed I had some duplicates in my Photo Stream event. And one photo was correct time and the other was the later, wrong time. So, now I wonder how often (and why) I am getting these duplicates. These are not photos I purposely duplicated for editing or anything.
So I am very encouraged. Thank you for staying with me on this!

----------

I just noticed your previous question about where I imported my photos from, like maybe from an email. Many family photos come to me (from good phone cameras) via text or email, and I save them to iPhoto. Can I count on their data to remain accurate?

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
. . . However, when I just checked again, some of those very same photos did indeed have the correct time of day on them. . . .
On further examination, I noticed I had some duplicates in my Photo Stream event. . . .!

Do the photos that have the correct date/time also include the other EXIF data (i.e., camera type, exposure information, etc.)?

I just noticed your previous question about where I imported my photos from, like maybe from an email. Many family photos come to me (from good phone cameras) via text or email, and I save them to iPhoto. Can I count on their data to remain accurate?

It depends. In many cases, the EXIF data gets stripped out in that process -- either by the email app the sender is using (such as when a photo is resized) or by the sender not including the EXIF data in the exported/sent file. You can check this by opening the photo (from the Finder or from within Mail) in Preview. Open the Get Info box and see if the EXIF data is there. If it was not included in the file that was sent, then there is no data for iPhoto to import.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Ok, this is interesting. None of my photos in the Events or Photos sections of iPhoto show any EXIF info, and their times are wrong. It is only in the Photo Stream folder of iPhoto that the data is shown and the times are right. And it was there that I found the duplicates I mentioned earlier. This explains why I spent so many days looking for this information and it was not there. I was looking in those Photos and Events folders where iPhoto imports all photos.

I just checked an emailed photo, doing what you said. I saved it directly to my desktop and opened it in Preview. I used Inspector and clicked Exif, and the time the photo was taken was correct (all other data was there too). But that same photo (which I right-clicked on in the email and clicked Export to iPhoto) had no data when viewed inside iPhoto, and the time was wrong (probably the time that I exported it into iPhoto,as opposed to time photo was taken).

So I guess I am back to square one. I cannot get the correct data to stay with my photos once they are imported into iPhoto.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
OK -- I was able to replicate the problem you are having when exporting a photo from Mail to iPhoto.

It seems that if you use the "Export to iPhoto" option in Mail, you lose the filename and the EXIF data. I suspect that this is an issue caused by Mail creating a temporary file as part of the process, rather than an issue with iPhoto losing the information (especially because the filename changes and because Mail causes similar mischief if you resize a photo when sending it). Either way, it is annoying and not what you would expect.

Here are a couple of workarounds:

1. If there are only one or two attached photos, just drag-and-drop them from the email directly into iPhoto.

2. If there are numerous photos attached to the email, save them all (either using "Save All" in the "Save" dropdown in the message viewer or by File->Save Attachments) into a folder on your hard drive. Then import the saved files into iPhoto.

They should import cleanly either way.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Excellent! That worked perfectly.

Thanks for hanging in there and testing this stuff out with me. Now I know the steps to take to keep my photo records accurate. It has also motivated me to go through iPhoto and clean some things up. I had gotten lazy with seeing photos showing up on my computer, through Photo Stream, and had forgotten to go through and properly import them into iPhoto for long term storage.

(kendall)

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Everyone File a Bug Report on This

MCH-1138 has it right in Post #9. This is a bug in Mail 6.3 (Mountain Lion). I have filed a bug report. If more people filed a bug report, this might get fixed sooner.

What is so frustrating is how they have botched this up in Mountain Lion. A big selling point for Macs is that they are a great place to keep all of your photos. Originally, Mountain Lion Mail would not even export to iPhoto. You would select the "Add to iPhoto" option from the menu and NOTHING would happen. I lost lots of photos after upgrading to Mountain Lion because I was so used to how flawlessly this feature worked in Snow Leopard. They finally fixed that problem, but now I have lost lots of EXIF information and timestamps are all wrong. This makes it so your iPhoto library has duplicates and your photos are all out of order. They really must fix this. So, please, everyone, file a bug report.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Note that if you are using apps, A LOT of those apps, stripped the EXIF data. Some even CHANGE the exif date to the date you exported the photo from the app to the camera roll, not the date the photo was originally taken. I deleted a lot of apps that do that.

If you export out of iPhoto, you lose EXIF data as well. Not sure why Apple makes iPhoto do that. I have resorted to using Phoshare to export out of iPhoto to Dropbox, and CEASED using iPhoto to store photos. I still need to resolve all the photos I have using apps that strip EXIF data to add it back in, and use Phoshare to get export them back out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.