Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside new Creative Cloud software, Adobe today announced two new cloud-enabled hardware offerings: the "Project Mighty" stylus and the "Napoleon" guide and ruler.

The Mighty is a pressure sensitive stylus that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth to allow digital artists to create line drawings with variable widths based on pressure. According to TechCrunch, the pen is able to store a number of preferences and settings, including color palette themes, brushes, and assets saved in a cloud clipboard.

projectmighty.png
The Mighty pen itself looks similar to something like the Jot Touch 4 pressure sensitive pen, but with full access to Adobe's Creative Cloud services behind it. It's a little like an entire artist's box in a single device, judging by what Adobe has shown us on stage today. It also takes advantage of non-stylus touch, too, in a way that looks novel, allowing users to do things like erase with their free hand.
Adobe's Napoleon is designed to function alongside the stylus, allowing users to draw straight lines and arcs, much like traditional drafting tools.

Both the Mighty and the Napoleon remain in the development phase, with few details available and no launch date announced.

Article Link: Adobe Unveils iPad-Compatible Smart Stylus and Digital Ruler

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Am I the only one who feels like the name for the ruler is odd? Not that I'm criticising it, but naming a digital ruler after a French emperor who wanted to conquer an entire continent is a bit... strange

----------

I hope adobe release an SDK, and it gets widely adopted. This looks like a good idea

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
A digital ruler is something I've wanted to see for a long time. Though I don't think a physical device is really necessary. If the pen tip can be distinguished from normal finger input, then a ruler could potentially be created by just placing two or three fingers on the screen.

Anyway, it's good to see one of the big boys finally bringing serious art tools to the iPad. It shocks me that Wacom is still just pumping out rubber-tipped metal rods.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Hope we dont have to use the adobe app to make use of this cool looking pen :rolleyes:

Alongside new Creative Cloud software, Adobe today announced two new cloud-enabled hardware offerings: the "Project Mighty" stylus and the "Napoleon" guide and ruler.

I don't see them working with any other app

Loyalty4Life

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
Who cares? They just alienated a large portion of their user base by switching to this stupid creative cloud junk.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Am I the only one who feels like the name for the ruler is odd? Not that I'm criticising it, but naming a digital ruler after a French emperor who wanted to conquer an entire continent is a bit... strange
To be fair these are project names, and so will most likely change before the products are actually released.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Or Adobe could just make a decent vector based app, like Inkpad, that allows you to work more accurately and faster with fewer, better optimized drawing commands and requiring no hardware and no monthly subscription fee just to access a few tool settings. But then, where's the bilking in that?

Adobe's really batting em out of the park today...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I can envision a day when I throw up my hands and boycott every Adobe product on the desktop... while enjoying really cool Adobe stuff on my iPad!

iPad Photoshop and Adobe Ideas are both impressive apps already. If their stylus gets third party support (ArtRage, Procreate) then that's probably a sale for me! Hopefully not priced insanely.

(Adobe... hardware?)

johnny5k

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Oakland, CA

Funny you should mention that.. I was at the announcement, and the presenter actually said "We called it Napoleon because it's a short ruler." No lie.

EDIT: Gah! Beat to the punchline!

Last edited by a moderator:

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Why do you thing Apple Changed the Name?

I can't imagine Apple are thrilled with them using the "Mighty" name.

mighty_mouse2-tm.jpg

I don't think Mighty Mouse was thrilled to have a mouse literally named after him. He probably sued and they changed the name to Apple Mouse.

That darn Mouse is so arrogant. You'd think he would have put a Trademark on his name.

Oh wait they did sue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

"On October 20, 2009, the wireless Mighty Mouse was discontinued and replaced by the multi-touch Magic Mouse. The wired version of the device remains available, but was renamed the "Apple Mouse" as of the same date, due to trademark issues with another manufacturer of a device named "Mighty Mouse".[1]"

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

like this device, he was small but got a lot done.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010

I don't think Mighty Mouse was thrilled to have a mouse literally named after him. He probably sued and they changed the name to Apple Mouse.

That darn Mouse is so arrogant. You'd think he would have put a Trademark on his name.

Oh wait they did sue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

"On October 20, 2009, the wireless Mighty Mouse was discontinued and replaced by the multi-touch Magic Mouse. The wired version of the device remains available, but was renamed the "Apple Mouse" as of the same date, due to trademark issues with another manufacturer of a device named "Mighty Mouse".[1]"

heheh good old mighty mouse. I forgot all about that.. still seems like a lame name though.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Because he was also a short ruler.

Oddly enough, Napoleon was of normal height (5' 6") but an error in converting to English units took about 4" off his height; the rest is history.

So, instead of short it may merely be inaccurate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.