Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
North America
I found this story on the drudge report. I am unfamiliar with this website and so I have no idea if this story is true or if it is just an anti-apple type of attack. I thought that somebody here might find it interesting since it is a news story about apple.

This is the link to the site:

http://wizbangblog.com/2013/05/06/a...a-day-to-sit-on-apples-board-125000-per-hour/

Al Gore, Man of the People, Gets Paid Over $1 Million a Day to Sit on Apple’s Board, $125,000 per hour
May 6, 2013 | Filed under #Occupy,Al Gore,Categories | Posted by Thomas Grace
If you want a poster child for corporate greed, you can look no further than Al Gore. After he failed to get enough votes to win Florida, and therefore the Presidential election in 2000, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs added him to the list of Yes Men on Apple’s board of directors.

A report out today says Al Gore cashed out about half of his Apple stock options in January to the tune of $30 million and has at least $15 million more. But that was his bonuses, that didn’t include his base pay. According to Reuters, during the height of the 2008 recession, Al Gore ‘only’ made $633,000 per year, or $127,000 per board meeting, since the board only met fives times that year. — However according to SEC filings, by 2010, his yearly compensation was back up to $1.3 million per year.

Looking at the numbers, Gore has made about $1,000,000 a year for the last 10 years to sit on a board that was famously paid to agree with Steve Jobs. And then he got $45 million in stock options as a bonus for a total of about $55 million. Considering the board meets about 5 times years, that’s just over $1,000,000 per day or $125,000 per hour.

So what has Gore done to earn that money? Gore’s most famous accomplishment was to lead the board’s investigating committee, which “cleared CEO Steve Jobs and current management of wrongdoing” in a stock option backdating scandal which Apple later admitted Jobs knew about.

When you’re Al Gore, Greed is good.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The Drudge Report is a right-wing fantasy news site where facts are made up and reality doesn't matter.

I don't doubt that Al Gore gets paid as they have stated, but this article is clearly an attempt to attack Gore due to his party affiliation. The author should have just made the title of the article "Democrats are Hypocrites", because that's the core message here.

I'm sure none of the guys that sit on the NRA or Exon boards make any money whatsoever, right? Or if they do, they donate it to charity, right?

There's an old saying about not throwing stones when one lives in a glass house...

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
Don't hate the playa; hate the game.

Good for him if he is getting that much. We enable this behavior by buying Apple products. The truth is, there is not a product out there that is Karma free. With the good of the product comes some not so good stuff.

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I have no love for Al Gore but this headline is misleading. According to Apple's 2012 proxy statement, Gore's total compensation was $257K. Just curious where the $1.3 million is coming from.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312513005529/d450591ddef14a.htm

In 2011 his compensation was 1.278million. Nearly 1.3 million.
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312511003231/ddef14a.htm

I'll have to compliment your left wing cherry picking skills :)

----------

The Drudge Report is a right-wing fantasy news site where facts are made up and reality doesn't matter.

I don't doubt that Al Gore gets paid as they have stated, but this article is clearly an attempt to attack Gore due to his party affiliation. The author should have just made the title of the article "Democrats are Hypocrites", because that's the core message here.

I'm sure none of the guys that sit on the NRA or Exon boards make any money whatsoever, right? Or if they do, they donate it to charity, right?

There's an old saying about not throwing stones when one lives in a glass house...

I'm pretty sure the sec doesn't make stuff up. These facts aren't made up. Both sides spin things so badly though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In 2011 his compensation was 1.278million. Nearly 1.3 million.

I'll have to compliment your left wing cherry picking skills :)

Ah, my bad. I was looking at the 2012 proxy. Still, the headline that Gore made $1M per day is incredibly misleading. It probably bugs me more because I can't stand Gore. There's plenty of thins to have a go at him for, but misrepresenting stuff just to fire up a certain political base drives me nuts.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Maybe I was not paying attention but I have never seen a shareholder proposal against Al in my proxy materials. Oh, and in case anyone thinks shareholder proposals are made by lackeys - typically the board suggests voting no on most of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.