Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's introduction of Angry Birds Friends for iOS, Rovio yesterday announced a new "Rovio Account" feature that will allow users to synchronize game progress across devices.
Some of you may have noticed a new feature in your Rovio games called Rovio Account. Our fans have been asking for a way to play their game on different phones or tablets without losing their progress when changing the device. This is exactly what Rovio Account lets you do!
While a number of iOS games have taken advantage of Apple's iCloud/Game Center syncing to help users play on multiple devices, Rovio has deployed its own solution in order to support the wide range of platforms on which its games are available.

rovio_account.jpg
Rovio notes that the new Account feature is currently available only in The Croods on a worldwide basis and in the original Angry Birds in Finland and Poland, but that expansion to new apps and countries as well as additional features will come over time. Additional details are available in Rovio's FAQ.

Article Link: Rovio Introduces 'Accounts' for Cross-Device Syncing

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Is there a reason that developers do not use iCloud to sync game saves across our iOS devices ?

Serious question since I'm no developer and know absolutely nothing of what implementing these sort of cloud saves requires !

I would have thought its a simple implementation since is part of iOS.

Thanks in advance, been curious for a very long time

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Is there a reason that developers do not use iCloud to sync game saves across our iOS devices ?

Serious question since I'm no developer and know absolutely nothing of what implementing these sort of cloud saves requires !

Yes. Money. They can sell your data if you use their lame service, whereas Apple doesn't give them a thing. Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine needing to pick up my game of Angry Birds on an Android phone that I started on an iOS one.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

I played Swordigo start to finish alternating between iPhone & iPad. iCloud syncing worked beautifully. not sure why other developers have problems with it...

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Yes. Money. They can sell your data if you use their lame service, whereas Apple doesn't give them a thing. Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine needing to pick up my game of Angry Birds on an Android phone that I started on an iOS one.

Lol thanks for the reply ! iCant imagine picking up and Android phone!!!!! #

----------

Wow thanks :) that pretty much answered all questions :)

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

I know a few people at work that use an Android phone yet have an iPad. A lot of our management jumped on BB10, as well.

So there is a use case. Maybe not for you and I, though. If I need to use it, I will create an account using a trash gmail account for this purpose.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004

I don't think you have to worry about them selling your data. Do you really care if someone knows how horrible / awesome you are at Angry Birds?

The biggest reason is cross platform sync. You might have an iPhone and an Android tablet, or an Android phone and an iPad. It would be nice to have your game progress follow you along. If you have the game on your Mac or PC, again, the data would be in sync. These are things you can't do with Apple's iCloud syncing.

If an app is iOS only, then yes, iCloud sync is the way to go. If the app is on multiple platforms, you need another method like this one.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't think you have to worry about them selling your data. Do you really care if someone knows how horrible / awesome you are at Angry Birds?

The biggest reason is cross platform sync. You might have an iPhone and an Android tablet, or an Android phone and an iPad. It would be nice to have your game progress follow you along. If you have the game on your Mac or PC, again, the data would be in sync. These are things you can't do with Apple's iCloud syncing.

If an app is iOS only, then yes, iCloud sync is the way to go. If the app is on multiple platforms, you need another method like this one.

You know it's not about the scores at their games. What they will sell is your name, email address, and demographic data so that you can get spammed by their "select" partners who want to sell you junk.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I hope that they get banned from the iStore for doing this.

Rovio is trying to kill the lock-in that makes the Apple echosystem so great!

Elaka

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
USA
I hope it isn't the same as the Croods...

With the Croods syncing, if you do not have 3g or wifi connected, you cannot play, as it needs to sync. If they make it so Angry Birds needs wifi to sync/play, I'm going to be an Angry Mom because my kid plays Angry Birds (sans wifi) in the car on the way to school.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
I hope that they get banned from the iStore for doing this.

Rovio is trying to kill the lock-in that makes the Apple echosystem so great!

Really? Their games are available on all platforms so this allows people who play their games on different platforms to be in sync?

I can't see how this is a bad thing?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
You know it's not about the scores at their games. What they will sell is your name, email address, and demographic data so that you can get spammed by their "select" partners who want to sell you junk.

So don't give them any personal data. Use your alternate junk mail email address, and give them personal information saying you're a 150 year Vulcan or something. What are they going to sell you then, a new warp drive?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Yes, core data has major issues syncing.
Most games would not require Core Data for saving game settings and progress, that is overkill by a long shot. You would use the Key Value Coding method in iCloud. I use it for my App Store games and it works well, it does not have the issues that Core Data syncing does.

However, I would really like to see multiuser support in iOS, with fast user switching (including multiple Game Center accounts), that would be an improvement.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

If only they could do something like integrate both. :rolleyes:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Doesn't carry over if someone moves to android etc.

Personally it annoys me when most companies do this because they don't put the same stuff in Game Center for those of us with no intention of switching platforms. So you end up with high scores and maybe some achievements in GC but if you want to multiplayer etc you have to do their system.

If they are equal no matter what I as the user choose to use then fine.

Also regarding multiplayer with only iCloud/GC you can't play a against someone in another OS. That is one part of the system that makes me wish Apple would come with some kind of SDK for Game Center in
Android etc versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.