Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timehacker11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Why would Apple decide to cannibalize the regular sized "iPad with Retina display"? They wouldn't. Plus, the "with Retina display" model would loose it's purpose.

It's like giving the MBA a Retina display. Ain't gonna happen, it would cannibalize the sales of the MBPr 13".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Many have asked that exact question when they brought out certain devices/machines. Why bring an iPad and cannibalize MB Air sales? Why bring a 13" Air if you're going to try and still sell a 13 MBP? Somehow, they manage to make a change that is significant enough (matter of opinion) to ensure sales across the board. I believe the iPad mini will see retina and I don't think it'll affect the iPad line. People are looking for a certain form factor, retina or not, they'll buy whichever size suits them best.

mm201

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
The purpose of the big iPad has never been having the Retina screen, but simply being a bigger iPad. The only reason not to put Retina in the Mini is the cost of such a high pixel density screen in that size, and the battery life.

Both will eventually be worked out, and when they are, the Mini will go Retina. (It's not if, but when.) Cannibalization is a silly argument. It's like, "why make cars if they'll cannibalize our steam engine sales?" Better is better.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
they are two different things... to me full size iPad is a machine for home use... on the other part iPad mini is a globetrotter... so if the mini gets retina, it will not affect sales for that... only because it is cheaper it is selling strongly...

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't agree with the op's reasoning. i (and everybody else) think the mini will get a retina display, but i'm not convinced it'll happen within the next update. margins on the mini are slim as it is. isn't it possible apple can't get the costs down enough to sell a retina mini?

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
i would say the mini will get the Retina display some time in the future it's a given. if the iphone, ipod, ipad has the Retina display why would apple not give it to the mini,

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think Apple is more worried about selling tablets to people who might buy a Kindle Fire instead of worrying about iPad mini vs. iPad. Plus this argument goes along the same line of Sony won't sell 32" HDTVs because it would cannibalize 46" HDTV sales. Kinda falls apart.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
they are two different things... to me full size iPad is a machine for home use... on the other part iPad mini is a globetrotter... so if the mini gets retina, it will not affect sales for that... only because it is cheaper it is selling strongly...

For home use? At home I use a computer 100 per cent of the time...

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Well the whole rumor doesn't make much sense to me. Wait until late summer or fall to release an underpowered retina iPad Mini only to upgrade the processor in it in Q1? That makes no sense. What seems more likely to me is a spec bump, non retina iPad Mini in late May or June and a retina iPad Mini in October. The spec bump would be pretty quiet but coincide with an iPad 5. The real Mini 2 is just not going to be ready until fall and if they can cheaply get the iPad Mini up to an A6 that would be good for everyone.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why would Apple decide to cannibalize the regular sized "iPad with Retina display"? They wouldn't. Plus, the "with Retina display" model would loose it's purpose.

It's like giving the MBA a Retina display. Ain't gonna happen, it would cannibalize the sales of the MBPr 13".

You really don't know Apple that much. If they don't cannibalize it, somebody else will. Apple does not want the money to go to other devices that WILL have retina-display for the same size/price as iPad mini. It is not even an "if" question, it is a "when" question, it will happen. They encourage and will support the cannibalization of their higher end models, in the end, it will build up their ecosystem. They already admit that they want to allow iOS devices to cannibalize the Macs, they prefer more iPad/less Mac users than neither.

The more people that's on the Apple's closed ecosystem, the less chances they'll go elsewhere because it is difficult to transfer from one platform to another platform, especially spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars of money into iOS apps.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Because business is all about revenue, sales and profit margin. If they lose market share in the small tablet size to all the new displays (Nexus 7 seems most popular now, but Nook HD is a contender with its awesome display and Google Play now enabled), they'll have to do something to keep up spec-wise and use the Apple eco-system to differentiate. Falling behind in hardware purposely to protect another product line or segment of the same is poor business.

Companies want profit and sales wherever they can get then. To skip out on the form factor sales potential by going with retina and instead just staying the same is like giving up. Sure, sales are high now, but in your line of thinking why ever add more CPU power or memory/storage? That would also compete in the iPad4 range. If they don't keep up with current technology and surpass where they can, they lose.

There's a reason we don't all drive cars from 1974 and the reason is not because a company was afraid their innovation would harm sales of their other vehicles. Companies adapt to markets and demands. If one model or size sells far less than another, that's reason to reevaluate if you should even be selling it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.