Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I've had the Bamboo (Gone through two nibs, both tore and got really soft) and the Jot Pro which I believe has a bit of a disconnection between the disk and the point.

I looked at the Cosmonaut which strangely loooked good.

Any other ones that best do what I'm looking to do on my iPad? Thanks!

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
I use the Maglus stylus by Applydea. It's shaped like a carpenters pencil and is solid metal. It also has a magnet in the center so it can be attached to your ipad when not in use. I love it. It's very functional. I sketch and take notes with it and I honestly have no complaints.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I've been happy with the Ti pen/stylus for both drawing and note taking. Stylii are a fairly common topic. Have you looked at any of the existing threads?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I use the Maglus stylus by Applydea. It's shaped like a carpenters pencil and is solid metal. It also has a magnet in the center so it can be attached to your ipad when not in use. I love it. It's very functional. I sketch and take notes with it and I honestly have no complaints.

Having been very enthousiastic about my Maglus at first, I must confess that I still haven't become used to it's bulky and awkward shape - even after months of daily use in Noteshelf. I find myself going back to my Bamboo.

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Having been very enthousiastic about my Maglus at first, I must confess that I still haven't become used to it's bulky and awkward shape - even after months of daily use in Noteshelf. I find myself going back to my Bamboo.

At first it was awkward because I'd never held a carpenters pencil before but it had a lot to do with the awful form I used when holding any pen or pencil (which I was unaware of). It is kind of heavy but I like that I don't really have to "push" it into the screen, it's weight does it for me. I haven't tried any other styli because this one has worked so well. I have considered getting an Adonit stylus for the precision and thinness but haven't felt the "need" to upgrade. Plus the tapping sound they (Adonit styli) make is also a deterrent.

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Recently acquired the Gosmart 200 and boy man this thing is fast. It is also very precise and glides really smooth. Only downfall I have are that you have to turn the stylus in your hand to the angle on the disc as it only faces one direction and that not everyone will necessarily get the angle they want but for me those are minor issues, it also works fine both for drawing and writing.

That is my personal experience and not certain how many other people in here have used one, so it might be a tough choice in buying one but so far I have not been disappointed in the 2 months I have had it.

Note: Acquires a bit more caution in treatment(cap opening & closing) compared to typical rubber tip styli.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Recently acquired the Gosmart 200 and boy man this thing is fast. It is also very precise and glides really smooth. Only downfall I have are that you have to turn the stylus in your hand to the angle on the disc as it only faces one direction and that not everyone will necessarily get the angle they want but for me those are minor issues, it also works fine both for drawing and writing.

That is my personal experience and not certain how many other people in here have used one, so it might be a tough choice in buying one but so far I have not been disappointed in the 2 months I have had it.

Note: Acquires a bit more caution in treatment(cap opening & closing) compared to typical rubber tip styli.

I've been thinking about the GoSmart200 myself, so a few questions for you...
1- While drawing, you manage to hold the same angle at all times?
If I understand you well, the idea is to make sure the whole disk/ring is constantly touching the screen 100%, right?
2- Any tapping noise while working?
3- Do you fear scratches on the glass or is the tip very trustworthy?
4- In which apps do you use the stylus?

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I've been thinking about the GoSmart200 myself, so a few questions for you...
1- While drawing, you manage to hold the same angle at all times?
If I understand you well, the idea is to make sure the whole disk/ring is constantly touching the screen 100%, right?
2- Any tapping noise while working?
3- Do you fear scratches on the glass or is the tip very trustworthy?
4- In which apps do you use the stylus?

1- Yes and no. More hand movement and stylus shifting is needed. The problem I get is that when drawing with a pencil you tend to place you hand and move your wrist to suit with pulling or pushing and pivoting left or right motions, with the gosmart you do more hand shifting as pivoting(benefit the adonit has) isn't possible. Two guys used it and one found the adjusting a bother while the other said it was minor and he could use it.

Yes the whole disc/ring has to touch the screen. It does have some give, very very minor though, so even if you don't get the angle 100% right when you press the remainder of the ring will touch. Note though that this is so far the most sensitive and least effort stylus I have used(bamboo & adonit pro).

2- I am a very light writer so no tapping for me, and the other users were cursive writers so I am yet to find out. Will check and get back to you later.
Edit: Yes it has a noise when I tap.
3- I have on a screen protector but I have read some reviews saying it does. So far no scratches on my screen protector and so far no friction, stick or squeaks either, this stylus glides and is extremely fast and takes sometime getting use too in comparison to the slow bamboo and good paced adonit. maybe mine is well Teflon coated or just how it is supposed to be. So as far as trustworthiness without a screen protector, no, maybe about 65-75%.

4- Sketchbook, penultimate, noteshelf, notetaker hd, adobe ideas, myscrpit calculator, notesplus.

Hope this helps as this is my honest and unbiased view.
Any more questions feel free to ask, any pictures needed feel free to request.

Last edited:

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I have tried a ton of styluses/styli. Im still looking for that perfect one, but I have settled on the elago grip for now. I have made a bit of a modification, as I like the nib to be firmer. I pulled off the rubber, cut up some microfiber cloth into tiny pieces (one of those cheap 2"x2" squares you get with screen covers and similar products) and shoved them into the tip, then pushed the tip back on. Works pretty well for me. I take a lot of notes though, not too much drawing.

I have tried the iFaraday RxII as mentioned above. Liked it at first, but it quickly wore out and the nib got very soft. I then dissected it and found out what it was really made of, and was a little disappointed I paid so much for it. However, the guy who runs the company is great, told me to send the stylus back, he'd check it out and send me a new one. Just never got around to it, and ended up tearing it apart instead.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
1- Yes and no. More hand movement and stylus shifting is needed. The problem I get is that when drawing with a pencil you tend to place you hand and move your wrist to suit with pulling or pushing and pivoting left or right motions, with the gosmart you do more hand shifting as pivoting(benefit the adonit has) isn't possible. Two guys used it and one found the adjusting a bother while the other said it was minor and he could use it.

Yes the whole disc/ring has to touch the screen. It does have some give, very very minor though, so even if you don't get the angle 100% right when you press the remainder of the ring will touch. Note though that this is so far the most sensitive and least effort stylus I have used(bamboo & adonit pro).

2- I am a very light writer so no tapping for me, and the other users were cursive writers so I am yet to find out. Will check and get back to you later.
Edit: Yes it has a noise when I tap.
3- I have on a screen protector but I have read some reviews saying it does. So far no scratches on my screen protector and so far no friction, stick or squeaks either, this stylus glides and is extremely fast and takes sometime getting use too in comparison to the slow bamboo and good paced adonit. maybe mine is well Teflon coated or just how it is supposed to be. So as far as trustworthiness without a screen protector, no, maybe about 65-75%.

4- Sketchbook, penultimate, noteshelf, notetaker hd, adobe ideas, myscrpit calculator, notesplus.

Hope this helps as this is my honest and unbiased view.
Any more questions feel free to ask, any pictures needed feel free to request.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.
I don't plan on using a screen protector, so 65-75% is a rather low garanty in my opinion.
The scratching question with this type of styli remains a deal breaker, somehow.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Is there such thing as a pointed or skinny stylus? I have a "fat" one and it makes my writing 10x's more awful than it already is. :) They're all I can find.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is there such thing as a pointed or skinny stylus? I have a "fat" one and it makes my writing 10x's more awful than it already is. :) They're all I can find.

They are "fat" because they have to render as a human touch. :) Check out the Hand Stylus, it is a bit thinner: http://handstylus.com

And if not that, I can recommend any of the Adonit Jot ones. They have a little clear disc at the tip so you can see what you're writing.

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed answer.
I don't plan on using a screen protector, so 65-75% is a rather low garanty in my opinion.
The scratching question with this type of styli remains a deal breaker, somehow.

No problem, glad I could help.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
They are "fat" because they have to render as a human touch. :) Check out the Hand Stylus, it is a bit thinner: http://handstylus.com

Quite some reviews claim the Hand stylus tip being a mere 4mm wide, isn't enough to be registered by the iPad. Therefor an important amount of pressure is needed while using this particular stylus. Just hear say though...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quite some reviews claim the Hand stylus tip being a mere 4mm wide, isn't enough to be registered by the iPad. Therefor an important amount of pressure is needed while using this particular stylus. Just hear say though...

Yeah, I've never tried it. But if the press like it, then :rolleyes:. My Adonit suits me for that purpose of being thin. Feels good between my fingers too. :D

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Yeah, I've never tried it. But if the press like it, then :rolleyes:. My Adonit suits me for that purpose of being thin. Feels good between my fingers too. :D

I would stick with the adonit too. So far the hand stylus isn't getting the best of reviews but in time I think it will be a better stylus and I look forward to having one as it has all the right elements to make a complete stylus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.