Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi

I drive daily two hours with public transport. I use an iPad mini for browsing the web (mainly news).

I don't like devices like iOS (and alternatives) because of no freedom (DRM,...) for user. I think to replace iPad mini with a MacBook Air 11" (and LTE stick).

Does anybody use a MacBook Air in train? Is that comfortable compared to iPad mini? What do you think about it? What's your daily experience compared to iPad?

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I Do

I use my 13 inch everyday on the train and its great. no problems but don't use it on the underground no point and a lot of thief's on there this is in the UK by the way.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If seats are wide enough for a laptop go4rit, u giving up about 3-5 hours batt life.

Public transport I assume with large windows, bright environment, I'd want to know how the Air screen perform in such condition vs and iPad.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
If you can sit down, then go for it. Where I take the subway, finding a seat can be difficult.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
As is true in New York City, smash and grab thieves in my city (Washington DC) love iPhones, iPods, and iPads. Extremely high rate of thefts on public transit.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
As is true in New York City, smash and grab thieves in my city (Washington DC) love iPhones, iPods, and iPads. Extremely high rate of thefts on public transit.

Don't sit near a door where the thief can run out quick, and if you do, as the train approaches a station, stop whatever you are doing, and hold your item in such as way that it will be hard to yank it from you, go back as you were AFTER the door closes.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Hi

I drive daily two hours with public transport. I use an iPad mini for browsing the web (mainly news).

I don't like devices like iOS (and alternatives) because of no freedom (DRM,...) for user. I think to replace iPad mini with a MacBook Air 11" (and LTE stick).

Does anybody use a MacBook Air in train? Is that comfortable compared to iPad mini? What do you think about it? What's your daily experience compared to iPad?

If I were you, I'd keep your iPad. The 11-inch Air is a fantastic device, but the iPad wins for the usage scenario you are describing. You would actually be making things harder for yourself.

Now if this were a more general use question, then that would be different.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If I were you, I'd keep your iPad. The 11-inch Air is a fantastic device, but the iPad wins for the usage scenario you are describing. You would actually be making things harder for yourself.

Yea if it was the library or cafeteria I would say go for the air

Redbull916

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Brighton, UK
I'm a IT Consultant working for a large software company and spend my life traveling.
I have a iPad mini & a 13" Air. The Reason I have both is they are built for different purposes. The Air is my workhorse, and is used daly for all sorts of reasons. The iPad on the other hand is mainly used for web, and media. The only cross over functionality is email.

If I'm on a Train or Plane and want to send an email, read or watch a film the iPad comes out of the Thule case, but it the email is large or I need to work then I use the Air.
Would not use any of them on the tube - Thats what the iPhone is for ;-)

The question is what is the best device for the purpose you require, both work fine when your out and about.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Please explain exactly what freedom you are missing. What would you do with an iPad if you had whatever freedom you are missing that you are not doing now?

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Please explain exactly what freedom you are missing. What would you do with an iPad if you had whatever freedom you are missing that you are not doing now?

I am a MacPorts and UNIX user. I use serval open source packages daily.

----------

thank you. For me also an ideologic issue. I don't wish to support devices like iPad with my money. I prefer and OS with full control.

----------

I am heavily armed.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Does the train have a tray table setup that you can put the Air on? If not, the iPad makes much more sense.

I would think it would be tough to use a MBA that is on your lap sitting on a train.

thank you. For me also an ideologic issue. I don't wish to support devices like iPad with my money. I prefer and OS with full control.
Each device has its own uses. And it depends on if the device does what you want it to. For me.... iPad mini: web surfing, watching videos, listening to music, reading books, checking email, etc. Of course I still need a Mac for stuff the iPad can't do, but on the other hand, a Mac can't be used everywhere you can use an iPad and is not as good for reading books.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

----------

----------

I am heavily armed.

Woah. Sounds like this is a much bigger issue than simply asking whether it'd be good to use a Mac on a train.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
I had the 11" Air it lasted 6 months before I replaced it with a 13" Air. The screen was just too small for me as a laptop. I use the 13" daily on the train and its great, but as soon as I get on the tube/underground/bus I switch to an iPhone as there is little room to move and security is more of a concern. I have an iPad but rarely use it now as I prefer the Air, and I wouldn't use it other than on a train. But I could see the benefit of the iPad mini and that would potentially be a better option than the iPhone in certain circumstances, but I still would not replace the Air for the train, office and around the house.

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA

----------

----------

I am heavily armed.

Welcome to America, where a kid attempting to grab a phone worth a few hundred dollars will almost certainly result in loss of life.
Who's? Anyone's guess, we'll just trust your undoubtedly extensive firearms training!!!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Welcome to America, where a kid attempting to grab a phone worth a few hundred dollars will almost certainly result in loss of life.
Who's? Anyone's guess, we'll just trust your undoubtedly extensive firearms training!!!

maybe we could keep politics off the macrumors forum?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.