Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I've long ago ripped all my CDs into iTunes. Now I've just finished converting my DVDs, and am starting through my Blu-Rays.

I don't have a ton of extra storage space. I long ago took all the CDs out of the cases (500+) and just stacked the discs themselves in a couple of boxes, where they haven't been touched in a couple years. I was about to do the same with my DVDs (200+) and now I'm wondering whether to bother keeping the original media at all. My data is all backed up with plenty of redundancy so I'm not worried about having to re-convert anything.

Has anyone else trashed their physical media to save space?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, but now that you mention it they sure do take up space, and like you, I haven't played an actual CD in I don't know how long. I wouldn't throw my Blu Ray DVDs away though....just wondering what I'd do with the space that my giant sized tower CD stand occupies now...:D

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I've long ago ripped all my CDs into iTunes. Now I've just finished converting my DVDs, and am starting through my Blu-Rays.

I don't have a ton of extra storage space. I long ago took all the CDs out of the cases (500+) and just stacked the discs themselves in a couple of boxes, where they haven't been touched in a couple years. I was about to do the same with my DVDs (200+) and now I'm wondering whether to bother keeping the original media at all. My data is all backed up with plenty of redundancy so I'm not worried about having to re-convert anything.

I gave a lot of it away.

Started with CDs, then continued with DVDs a couple of years ago. I know that somewhere along the line i'm violating some provision of copyright law by not having the original, but so be it.

I've started buying and renting from online/streaming sources more and more so my paltry local video collection wouldn't be missed much if it was lost. Though, like you, I have multiple redundant backups.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
If you've ripped stuff you own, I think you are required to keep hold of the originals in order to stay on the right side of the law.

It's not clear from the OP, but did you throw out the original cases for the CD's?

If so, I have to say this is a bad idea, for CD's, DVD's and Blu rays. Trying to sell disc only is much more difficult than if you have the original boxes with packaging, sleeves, liners, notes etc. Also, prospective buyers will offer much lower prices if original boxes etc are missing.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
If you've ripped stuff you own, I think you are required to keep hold of the originals in order to stay on the right side of the law.

It's not clear from the OP, but did you throw out the original cases for the CD's?

If so, I have to say this is a bad idea, for CD's, DVD's and Blu rays. Trying to sell disc only is much more difficult than if you have the original boxes with packaging, sleeves, liners, notes etc. Also, prospective buyers will offer much lower prices if original boxes etc are missing.

Well, technically breaking the encryption to rip it in the first place already puts you on the wrong side of the law anyway (movies that is). So if that is all you are worried about, then there isn't much of a difference. That said, I don't know that I would personally sell my disks even though most are already ripped.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
i bought a disc binder (fattest one from wal-mart), and just dumped all the discs in there, recycled all the cases. saved a ton of space, and dont really care about the resale value because realistically the discs will be lent to people over time and not returned and i wouldn't realistically try and sell them all.

blu rays are the only case/disc combo i keep now since its the most current tech and those are on a shelf and i havent accumulated too many yet

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011

Yes, threw away (our recycling center doesn't take that type of plastic). I have no intention of selling any of them.

Looking at this from a moral & (more or less) legal point of view, they're my media, I've ripped them for my own purposes. I don't distribute the files in any way. So I've hung onto the media. Practically speaking though it's not like the RIAA police are going to come knocking on my door, check my iPod, and ask to see all the original media. And I don't see the need to keep it as a "Backup" because, as I said, I have good redundant backups of my digital library. So since I'm clearly not going to ever use those discs again, why not throw them away? In the case of the CDs none is less than 5 years old, most much older (I buy everything on iTunes now). I still buy DVDs in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart from time to time. I still buy Blu-Rays because about half the time it's WAY cheaper than an HD purchase from iTunes (e.g. Firefly was $31.99 on iTunes and $19.99 for the Blu-Ray).

So in a nutshell, I have no qualms ethically with tossing the media (I still know I paid for it, and practically speaking I don't anticipate ever having to prove it). Just wondering if there's some other factor I'm not considering.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

Just keep the disks. Trust me. One day your drive will fail and you will loose all your content. Besides, you have spent your hard earned money. Do not just get rid of them.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just keep the disks. Trust me. One day your drive will fail and you will loose all your content. Besides, you have spent your hard earned money. Do not just get rid of them.

I have both a local backup and online backup with Crashplan. Not worried about loosing the music files with duplicate backups.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
I hope for you guys you ripped in lossless.

If not it's a pretty big loss...

I wouldn't dream of throwing my covers away, not for my dvd, cd or blu-ray.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I hope for you guys you ripped in lossless.

If not it's a pretty big loss...

I wouldn't dream of throwing my covers away, not for my dvd, cd or blu-ray.

Exactly...And I also have a lot of 3D stuff....I like the spindle Idea, but scratches are a worry...I guess it would be okay if they just sit there. The space reclaimed by ditching the Ikea tower would actually be useful though.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
I honestly have no idea where my CDs wound up. I started ripping them as soon as iTunes came out and then I moved away after high school and moved again and again and again and again and again...The DVDs and VHS tapes are mostly in boxes in my living room closet. I made a tentative attempt to sell the VHS tapes on Craigslist at one point, but got no bites even for the really rare stuff that you can't find on DVD or online. Then, I looked into donating them to an old folks home or a battered women's/family shelter, but couldn't find one that was seeking media donations and wasn't religiously affiliated in some way. I'm glad I kept the DVDs, though, because I've had to rerip a few things. I'm not sure what I'll do in the long run, though, because it really does seem idiotic to have to keep boxes of this crap that will never get used when half the point of ripping them is to consolidate and save space. Maybe the library would take them?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you have lossless rips and at least one full backup, go ahead and junk the discs but I would maintain a second backup just in case and keep it off site like with your mother.

2nd option, keep discs but stuff them in those indestructible pelican cases and again stuff them at your Mom's rafter.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Well I made a decision to trash the CDs. I literally have not touched them in years, they've just been sitting there taking up space in a rental storage unit (this is part of a grander plan to get rid of stuff that I am paying to store, but will never use, so I can eliminate the monthly storage bill).

I'm keeping the DVDs in case I find the need to re-rip anything, but they're going on CD spindles and the packages are going in the trash. Only talking maybe 5 spindles so they'll go in a corner somewhere. Most likely I'll not need them but I may decide to re-rip a few to include the commentary track or something.

Interestingly I was at Dollar General yesterday picking up some dog treats, and they have a bunch of "Treasure Hunt" DVD and Blu-Rays for sale that are just the disc in a cardboard sleeve. Apparently Red Box movies, a couple still have the Red Box barcode sticker around the hub. DVDs are $2.95 and Blu-Rays $4.95. I got some great movies, including Iron Man 1 & 2 in Blu-Ray. Since I'm tossing all my cases anyway, this couldn't have worked out better :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I just keep all my old discs in disc sleeve cases. Over a thousand CDs in a space about the size of an old 20" TV. I mostly haven't touched mine in about 10 years either, but I'm not going to get rid them. I've actually noticed a few songs I don't have ripped that I should, need to dig into them.

Threw away the VHS and cassettes.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I ripped all my CD's in Apple Lossless and have been selling them off. I still have one box full to sell and another box of stuff I want to keep just in case. I also use iTunes Match.

I'll eventually rip all my DVD's too, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
With movies, I started doing the opposite. I started trashing the digital media in favor of physical. No sense having TBs of movies, I'll never watch more than once or twice, taking up hard drive space. Now, I hardly ever rip or even buy movies anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.