Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular free messaging and VOIP app Viber is expanding from the iPhone to the desktop with the release of Viber Desktop for PC and Mac.

The new desktop app allows users to initiate both video chats and voice calls, much like competing app Skype. Messages sync instantly across all platforms, and the app includes functionality that lets users begin a call on a smartphone and pick it up on a computer.

Desktop-PC-and-Mac.jpg
Viber Desktop and the latest versions of the Viber app were designed from the ground up for individuals using Viber on multiple devices, so you can always use the app that's right for you, whether at home, in school, at the office, or on the go. Viber offers far more flexibility than any similar product.
While Viber supports texting, voice calls, and video chats, it does not yet support conference calls or mobile-to-mobile video calls. Alongside today's desktop release, the company has also updated its mobile apps, adding video messages, a new voice engine for better sound quality, and an improved photo sharing experience.

Viber for Mac and Viber for iOS are both free downloads. Viber for PC and Mac can be downloaded from the Viber website while Viber for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Viber Moves From iOS to Mac with New Desktop App

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Sadly I have stopped using Viber awhile back, when most people switched to iMessage. And for international calling I find Skype to still have the best quality.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
With so many instant messaging apps, it prefer to stick to mainstream:

I can't afford to have a ton of apps running on my Mac to just to please everyone' s IM app choices. It takes away from my Mac's performance.

If something comes that's better than Skype I may switch if most of my contacts also switch.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'm tired of all the incompatibilities

We don't use 50 different email clients. Email is email.

I wish companies would just sit down and use the same standards and protocols for instant messaging, voice and video. Yes, I know, XMPP... :rolleyes:

I remember Steve Jobs, during a Keynote, announcing that the Facetime protocols would become open-source. What happened to that promise? :(

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
im happy about this. i'v used skype for several years now, but in the past 2 years its service quality has dwindled down to rubbish -

frequent call drops and disconnects, crashing.

in the old days (early 2012 and prior) it would hold up a call for hours. nowadays i expect a call drop several times an hour.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
iMessage here. Only need it on Windows now to complete the cycle.

I, for the 1 billionth time, still don't get the appeal of WhatsApp. Tried it before it was released and after. It requires everyone you know to have it. Everyone I know, doesn't have it. They all have iPhones as well. What's the point? I guess I can understand it's use for non iOS users?

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I can't afford to have a ton of apps running on my Mac to just to please everyone' s IM app choices.

this is actually an issue as they do expect you to comply (especially on mobile platforms)

----------

I remember Steve Jobs, during a Keynote, announcing that the Facetime protocols would become open-source. What happened to that promise? :(

he doesn't work at apple anymore

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sadly I have stopped using Viber awhile back, when most people switched to iMessage. And for international calling I find Skype to still have the best quality.

My experience is the opposite. While iMessage would be my first choice, I've found it to be unreliable at maintaining a proper connection with some people, be they on a cellular network or a home wifi network. Not sure what causes the messages to not be delivered consistently. I don't experience this issue with any of the other messaging apps that I use - Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, Nimbuzz - only iMessage suffers this flakiness problem.

And as for video/voice quality, I find FaceTime far superior to Skype and it handles dropped calls much more gracefully. Skype reconnects automatically, but in audio-only mode, which is very annoying for such a handy feature. The only plus to Skype is that the volume is louder for me on iOS devices than FaceTime.

----------

I, for the 1 billionth time, still don't get the appeal of WhatsApp. Tried it before it was released and after. It requires everyone you know to have it. Everyone I know, doesn't have it. They all have iPhones as well. What's the point? I guess I can understand it's use for non iOS users?

I struggled with accepting WhatsApp until I tried it. It is actually a very well-built application with great features. While I always try to use iMessage when available, I've found WhatsApp to be useful. However, my use case is very limited.

I also struggled with the name for a long time until I realized it was a play on the words "What's Up?" :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
this is actually an issue as they do expect you to comply (especially on mobile platforms)

----------

he doesn't work at apple anymore

And it wasn't even going to be open WHEN he was in charge.

Why do people keep bringing that up? Apple lied, move on.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I still hold a candle of hope that they'll follow-through on this promise. Make the protocol open, and then provide the best experience through the iMessage and Messages apps. The protocol shouldn't be held hostage.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
If something comes that's better than Skype I may switch if most of my contacts also switch.

What I don't like with Skype it that you have to log in and that it seems to drain the battery more on iOS devices when logged in. With Viber one doesn't have to log in. The messages and calls come through anyway.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With so many instant messaging apps, it prefer to stick to mainstream:

I'm trying to wean myself off of Skype simply because it's now owned by Microsoft. :)

----------

What I don't like with Skype it that you have to log in and that it seems to drain the battery more on iOS devices when logged in. With Viber one doesn't have to log in. The messages and calls come through anyway.

With Viber, you're still connected to the Viber network. You have a validated connection.

Skype's log-in process is just overly-complicated and takes a long time. Typical Microsoft bloat.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

well i heard its not so big in the US but in the rest of the world. 116 of my 128 contacts have whatsapp.

it just seems more reliable than iMessage to me where sending pictures is taking forever or doesnt sent it all.

its also nice to see and check when a certain someone was online the last time :D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Mmm.. I gotta check on that. How's videoconferencing compared to Skype and FaceTime?

----------

well i heard its not so big in the US but in the rest of the world. 116 of my 128 contacts have whatsapp.

it just seems more reliable than iMessage to me where sending pictures is taking forever or doesnt sent it all.

its also nice to see and check when a certain someone was online the last time :D

I never had problems sending pics in iMessage. I don't send very often, but when I do, it's usually 5 pics at once.

----------

I'm trying to wean myself off of Skype simply because it's now owned by Microsoft. :)

And tomorrow it may be owned by Intuit; then I'll stop using it for sure.

Actually I liked the fact that Skype and Live Messenger are now integrated; it freed me from one IM Client. I already dumped Oovoo and ICQ, so only two left for now it's not bad. Then there's Tango and others, but seem like data miners to me.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I love Viber. My family travels and lives several months a year overseas. Viber is our go to app. It works great cross platform. We love being able to get a local sim in "whatever" country we happen to be in and make calls back home for only the cost of the data. Keeps us in touch at all times.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK

Most of the world runs on non-iOS phones, so it's quite popular for most people. Obviously if you don't know anyone who uses it, fair enough.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Whats with the massive use of white space? Don't developers understand that most people use IM apps whilst doing a lot of other things? Skype also went this route, its incredibly frustrating.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what your people use, in my case its Skype and as others are saying, Skype is on a perpetual journey to faildom.

Really disappointing that somebody does not develop a game changer in this field.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Skype is on a perpetual journey to faildom.

Really disappointing that somebody does not develop a game changer in this field.

It's unthinkable to me that in 2013, no ones put a decent VoIP service together. Blows my mind. Things were looking up with Skype, before they gracefully arc'd over and did a swan dive, into an empty pool.

Apple easily could have cleaned up iChat alongside FaceTime.
iChat, handled video, voice, screensharing, conferencing, and messaging.
It was great if not a tangle to set up.

Now a few scattered fragments of that are all that remains.

Everything goes to crap eventually.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Apple easily could have cleaned up iChat alongside FaceTime.
iChat, handled video, voice, screensharing, conferencing, and messaging.
It was great if not a tangle to set up..

Yup Apple could have brought out a rival to Skype that was multi platform- iTunes style. There are so many firms that could tackle this, including telecom carriers, but they don't want to harm existing business models. I guess we just have to wait (hope?) for better days.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Not working properly for me with texts - someone replies and it creates a new conversation with their number (not contact name), but if I reply to that one, it says "this contact doesn't have Viber yet..." but works fine if I switch back to the conversation with the contact name it sends, but all replies keep coming into the other one.

Also, when using the Mac client, the notifications don't clear on my iPhone, so I end up with loads.

Can't resize each window pane, and CMD+SHIFT + [ ] doesn't switch between conversation tabs like it does in iMessages and web browsers.

Lot of room for improvement. Progress though, would like to be able to combine Viber and WhatsApp into iMessages and have one IM for everything.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Humm.... I have loaded and reloaded the Viber several times on my MacBook. I get the text code. I can even type in a phone number on my Mac and the text syncs with my iPhone. However, my contacts are not syncing with the Mac version.. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.