Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring began as a simple 3D printing project, but because of the popularity of the accessory, creator Jonathan Bobrow launched a Kickstarter campaign to create a new and improved version.

Now named the KeyBit, the MagSafe Adapter Key Ring produced via the Kickstarter campaign will feature an improved manufacturing process that results in a nickel-plated milled steel product. As with the original version, the KeyBit is an accessory that is designed to attach to Apple's MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, preventing the small converter from becoming lost.

keybit.jpg
The KeyBit attaches magnetically to the converter to hold it in place when not in use and it also includes the option for a 3D printed cover, which comes in a variety of colors. A standard KeyBit requires a $15 pledge, while a KeyBit with the cover costs $20.

The KeyBit has an estimated delivery date of August 2013, but a $30 donation will net backers a standard KeyBit along with a printed version to be mailed immediately after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Article Link: MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Now Available on Kickstarter

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Are there really that many people that need to carry them on their keychain? Why not leave it on your charger? It stays nicely and it would seem everyone I know throws their charger in a bag so the chances of it falling off and getting lost are much less than if you put it on your keychain.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have the adapter and it has come in handy - many people I know have MBP's so when I am with them I can get a quick charge in even though I have magsafe 2.

But I just keep this in a zippered pouch in my laptop bag as I pretty much never have my laptop without its bag...

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Meh... I have a rMBP and MBP and have never felt the need for such a silly accessory.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Yay now I can easily accidentally de-magnetize the magnetic stripes on my credit cards and hotel keycards simply by putting them in my pocket with my keys, without having to wait for my cell phone or computer speakers to do it for me. ;)

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
That's a bit pricey. £11 (+£6 shipping) for a little metal square with a magnet?

Costs more than the adapter itself! (and that's from Apple)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Are there really that many people that need to carry them on their keychain? Why not leave it on your charger? It stays nicely and it would seem everyone I know throws their charger in a bag so the chances of it falling off and getting lost are much less than if you put it on your keychain.

Personally I can't always leave mine on my charger because I still have a computer that doesn't use Magsafe 2, so I take it off when I need to use the charger for that computer. I already lost my converter unfortunately :(

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Err, sorry, dumbest thing I've seen in a very long time for Macs. And I've been using (hey, it's an addiction) since 1990.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring began as a simple 3D printing project, but because of the popularity of the accessory, creator Jonathan Bobrow launched a Kickstarter campaign to create a new and improved version.

Now named the KeyBit, the MagSafe Adapter Key Ring produced via the Kickstarter campaign will feature an improved manufacturing process that results in a nickel-plated milled steel product.*As with the original version, the KeyBit is an accessory that is designed to attach to Apple's MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter, preventing the small converter from becoming lost.

The KeyBit attaches magnetically to the converter to hold it in place when not in use and it also includes the option for a 3D printed cover, which comes in a variety of colors. A standard KeyBit requires a $15 pledge, while a KeyBit with the cover costs $20.

The KeyBit has an estimated delivery date of August 2013, but a $30 donation will net backers a standard KeyBit along with a printed version to be mailed immediately after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Article Link: MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Now Available on Kickstarter

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
This is pretty nifty.

Pledged for one for my sister, she's lost like 4 of them already :p

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wait, is this where Samsung users get to chime in about the uselessness of something like this? Of course not, because regardless of how ridiculous and useless a product for a Mac is, droves will defend it as magical and revolutionary.

Pfffft! Get with the programme ! School boy error, it's only magical and revolutionary if apple produce it.

Eg Thunderbolt docks do not get much lovin on MR, given thier $$$$$$$$$ magical cost.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
FYI for those interested in this project, in the Kickstarter Calender, August 2013 occurs during April 2014 of the Gregorian Calendar.

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
I could see it useful if you have friends with older MacBooks and you forget your charger at home. The interior of my laptop bag has a place where you can clip a key chain. If I had a newer MacBook I would just hang the adapter there and keep it for emergencies.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Why not gasp just buy a 2nd power adapter and never deal with this issue as long as you live?

99% of people are doing this because of work/home different setups… Leave one at both locations. :p

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Why not gasp just buy a 2nd power adapter and never deal with this issue as long as you live?

99% of people are doing this because of work/home different setups… Leave one at both locations. :p

price, i guess. over here the power adapters are a bit expensive.

anyway, it's a nice idea if you switch a lot between the two. otherwise i guess you can just throw the adapter anywhere in your bag and fish for it only when needed.

one thing i can't understand is charging extra for the cover. seems to me like the adapter may fall off of it at some point (like when you shake your keys when starting a car). i think they need to implement a cover to any model they offer

sambredeson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Chicago, IL (Oak Park)
Maybe I'm stupid, but what does this thing actually do? What is it an adapter for?

Edit: NM, I just looked at the Kickstarter page and figured it out. I had no idea people even needed these.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Am I the only one who does not understand what this thing does?

Nope. I've had to do some digging just to understand it.

Apple's site explains the need for the adapter.

The MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter allows you to use the MagSafe connector on your LED Cinema Display, Thunderbolt Display, or MagSafe Power Adapter to charge your MagSafe 2-equipped Mac computer.

So if you have a MagSafe charger and you have a computer that came with the MagSafe 2, then you can use this adapter. You can buy one and have it on your keys or 3 and toss them in various places so you always have them. (car, bag, home).

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
The original magsafe power supply that came with my macbook pro lasted just a little over two years before the cable broke -- at the base of the power supply. I was VERY careful with this one too! Never used those stupid pull-out hooks (coz from my previous powerbook power supply this resulted in the cable being broken in MULTIPLE places)!

Imagine the feeling of shelling out that much to use your old power supply only to find out you'll have to buy a new one in a couple months' time anyways!!

I still think Apple should design the cables on their power supplies to be removable/replaceable. But hey... Apple needs money.

NOT~!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.