Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Yes, I finally did. I knew it would happen sooner or later but not this soon.

I'm usually pretty careful when taking it places, I almost always keep it in my backpack when I go to work and what not. The one day I was in a hurry and packing my lunch to work, I guess I was carrying too many things while entering our office doors and dropped it on concrete.

THANKFULLY it just barely scratched and dented the aluminum on the top right, it chipped a small piece of the back though. If I didn't have a Smart Cover on it, it would have surely probably cracked the screen or damaged it worse.

I'm still not happy I dropped it but I'm sure we've all been there. Anyone else have any similar or worse horror stories?

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California

I'm usually pretty careful when taking it places, I almost always keep it in my backpack when I go to work and what not. The one day I was in a hurry and packing my lunch to work, I guess I was carrying too many things while entering our office doors and dropped it on concrete.

THANKFULLY it just barely scratched and dented the aluminum on the top right, it chipped a small piece of the back though. If I didn't have a Smart Cover on it, it would have surely probably cracked the screen or damaged it worse.

I'm still not happy I dropped it but I'm sure we've all been there. Anyone else have any similar or worse horror stories?

i think it's time to invest in a better case for your mini. but considering the torture that your mini received, your smart cover did well.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Do you have an applecare + warranty? Similar to what I just posted about my iPhone 5, I bought applecare + cause I have a 2 year old and I need a functional phone (in your case iPad mini) for 2 years. So to me it was a) enjoy the device as it is; thin and sleek and then just know that it'll be $50 if I do drop it... or b) buy a case that costs nearly that much and carry around a bulky case.

Maybe it's a *tad* different for an iPad mini vs. iPhone but I feel the same way about our iPad 3... I bought applecare + and only put it in a case on rare occasions... Not that $50 isn't a good amount of money, but when you figure the difference between buying a decently expensive case, I'd rather pay the $10-15 extra should something happen and I get to use it in its raw form than put it in a bulky case. That's just me though. Most may not feel the same.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
i've been thinking, why are we so careful with our devices? i mean we will use our iPhones for an average of 2 yrs, iPads probably 3 yrs. so if i was you, just take YOLO seriously, and use your iPad mini in a way that isn't ugly (hint: Grifin Survivor). its your choice. just my $.02

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
That's why you buy apple care and get a case for it.

----------

Apple care+ doesn't work if you don't have the broken device with you. Meaning if it's stolen you're SOL. I'd get a case that would hide your ipad.

Do you have an applecare + warranty? Similar to what I just posted about my iPhone 5, I bought applecare + cause I have a 2 year old and I need a functional phone (in your case iPad mini) for 2 years. So to me it was a) enjoy the device as it is; thin and sleek and then just know that it'll be $50 if I do drop it... or b) buy a case that costs nearly that much and carry around a bulky case.

Maybe it's a *tad* different for an iPad mini vs. iPhone but I feel the same way about our iPad 3... I bought applecare + and only put it in a case on rare occasions... Not that $50 isn't a good amount of money, but when you figure the difference between buying a decently expensive case, I'd rather pay the $10-15 extra should something happen and I get to use it in its raw form than put it in a bulky case. That's just me though. Most may not feel the same.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
i've been thinking, why are we so careful with our devices? i mean we will use our iPhones for an average of 2 yrs, iPads probably 3 yrs. so if i was you, just take YOLO seriously, and use your iPad mini in a way that isn't ugly (hint: Grifin Survivor). its your choice. just my $.02

seriously. what if the OP is using a Griffin survivor or another case. i don't think we will see his post here. spending $400+ on a device and not being careful. which one is ugly - having a dented ipad mini or a mini in a case ????

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

There are better third party warranties out there that cover accidental damage, including water damage with no deductible and unlimited claims.

I've used BBY for my phones and other portable devices and ST for my TV's. Hassle free every time and I keep my devices sleek and minimalistic.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Yes, this happened to me a month ago and scared me sh*tless. Fell from about a 4 foot counter. Not fun. Luckily, I had on a smart cover on the front and a Caudabe Mini Shell for the back. Neither the Caudabe nor the iPad mini itself were damaged. I will never ever go naked, as nice as that would be.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
There are better third party warranties out there that cover accidental damage, including water damage with no deductible and unlimited claims.

I've used BBY for my phones and other portable devices and ST for my TV's. Hassle free every time and I keep my devices sleek and minimalistic.

I wonder what kind of refurbishing process the other warranties use. I have heard about SquareTrade (not sure what BBY stands for). I believe there probably are better ones but I'm just under-informed. To me, it was somewhat of a bonus that AC+ is backed by the manufacturer (Apple) and it covered anything but loss/theft (even water damage).

What instances have you used other warranties/insurances in and what can you say about the repair/replacement product?

I'm interested as I may not go with AC+ forever if there's something else better out there.

Thanks!

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Ah, I figured but didn't want to assume. My parents bought a warranty through them when they got their iPad 2. Haven't had to use it yet so no info really about it.

I had my iPhone 4 replaced by BBY under the protection plan and their screen said Foxconn somewhere in Texas as the source location of my replacement unit. Got to keep my phone as it sill worked and 48hrs later I got an email and a phone call that my phone was ready.They even offered to reinstall a brand new Zagg free of charge as I had purchased one originally from them.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Dropping an iPad is NOT a horror story.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I had my iPhone 4 replaced by BBY under the protection plan and their screen said Foxconn somewhere in Texas as the source location of my replacement unit. Got to keep my phone as it sill worked and 48hrs later I got an email and a phone call that my phone was ready.They even offered to reinstall a brand new Zagg free of charge as I had purchased one originally from them.

wow! Now the question is: Does this mean that Best Buy is awesome or that your local Best Buy is awesome lol... I would imagine with the state they're in these days, Best Buy (or any brick-and-mortar electronic retail store) would be best to keep customers happy at ANY cost....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.