Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I may be buying an iPad from a guy and he sent me a pic of what he said was a "minor ding" on the corner. How bad does this look to you guys? I'm having a hard time telling myself.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367980468.775508.jpg

Last edited:

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
If I'm seeing it correctly, I have a ding on my iPad just like it. Still works fine. Do you know if it still works? I would test it out before you give them any money. If you have any second guesses about it then I wouldn't do it. It's your money.....

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I'm not worried about it not working or cracks in the glass, I'm just hoping it doesn't void the warranty (good until November). I asked for more detailed shots. If it's bad, I guess I can ask for more money off or turn it down. I'll post the next pic he sends here. Thanks, guys.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
So he sent me a better pic and its definitely worse than I thought. That would definitively void the warranty unless I get a very understanding person to help me if there is a non-related issue. This is an iPad 4 16 GB wifi. If it works fine and has no other damage, what do you think would be a fair price for me to pay if I don't walk away from it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368018682.575128.jpg

Edit: I just took a look through the warranty policy and couldn't see anything about your warranty being voided for cosmetic damage, only not covered. If the iPad had a problem that didn't arise from the dent/drop, wouldn't Apple be obligated to fix it? Regardless, fair price?

Last edited:

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
What matters is how comfortable you are with the dent, it is is it cosmetic ?
if yes, make sure you get a good price, check with craigslist or ebay.
As far as warranty is concerned you have dent, so what ? Apple will not care the dent, they only cover electronic parts of the device. You just have say 6 months or so warranty left. Even better if you can talk into the seller to apple store, to check the device, if not get a decent price, make sure it is returnable and check with apple store after purchase, for any defects, by the time maybe too late.
if you can get hold of the serial number look up apple support site, it will still shows the warranty till Nov or you can still buy apple care for it, for another year, if you are interested in Applecare.
Obviously you cannot tell apple to fix the dent for free. So what ?
This scenario is liken to buying a used car, if dent is there will not affect your mechanical warranty. It is up to you.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
What matters is how comfortable you are with the dent, it is is it cosmetic ?
if yes, make sure you get a good price, check with craigslist or ebay.
As far as warranty is concerned you have dent, so what ? Apple will not care the dent, they only cover electronic parts of the device. You just have say 6 months or so warranty left. Even better if you can talk into the seller to apple store, to check the device, if not get a decent price, make sure it is returnable and check with apple store after purchase, for any defects, by the time maybe too late.
if you can get hold of the serial number look up apple support site, it will still shows the warranty till Nov or you can still buy apple care for it, for another year, if you are interested in Applecare.
Obviously you cannot tell apple to fix the dent for free. So what ?
This scenario is liken to buying a used car, if dent is there will not affect your mechanical warranty. It is up to you.

Cosmetic damage doesn't matter to me in an aesthetic sense. This would actually be a Craigslist deal. He sent me both the serial number and a pic to confirm, as well as his local phone number, so I know he actually has the tablet(I've waded through enough of these to figure out who is legit). My problem is, if I find a cluster for dead pixels on the screen, will Apple tell me the dent caused it and send me on my way (I'd be taking this to an Apple store if an issue arose) or repair/replace it based on the manufacturers defect and not the cosmetic damage.

Provided everything else works properly when I see this in person, does $300 sound like a good ballpark or should I go lower ($300 is what we're at now)?

Last edited:

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Since you are comfortable with the cosmetic part, do you intend to meet in person to get the ipad ? if yes, the dead pixel will show up right then and there.
To be able to be comfortable with the ipad you have purchased, the first thing is to make it to apple store and have them check the battery and overall condition, sure the dent will be there, so what ?
Here is what I experience with my macbook pro with non lethal dent, the seller
sold me with apple care, I could get the hard drive fixed and replaced, this is after I had it for a year, at the most the apple store recorded there is a dent.
No big deal.
About the price, depends on the condition and demand, if you buy brand new you would be paying $500 plus tax. I picked one used ipad 3 with at&t 4g 16gb, wireless keyboard, docking station and magic case for $400.

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
Since you are comfortable with the cosmetic part, do you intend to meet in person to get the ipad ? if yes, the dead pixel will show up right then and there.
To be able to be comfortable with the ipad you have purchased, the first thing is to make it to apple store and have them check the battery and overall condition, sure the dent will be there, so what ?
Here is what I experience with my macbook pro with non lethal dent, the seller
sold me with apple care, I could get the hard drive fixed and replaced, this is after I had it for a year, at the most the apple store recorded there is a dent.
No big deal.

I'm about 3 hours away from the nearest apple store, so that won't happen. My current iPad (3rd gen) I bought off of CL as well, so I know the drill when it comes to checking them out. The last one I bought was in near perfect condition and only had a single dead pixel I found later that day, which isn't a big deal at all.

Btw, he's standing tall at $300, so that would be my best price.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm about 3 hours away from the nearest apple store, so that won't happen. My current iPad (3rd gen) I bought off of CL as well, so I know the drill when it comes to checking them out. The last one I bought was in near perfect condition and only had a single dead pixel I found later that day, which isn't a big deal at all.

Btw, he's standing tall at $300, so that would be my best price.

Why not buy a refurbished one off of Apple's site?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I would make your decision based on the assumption that you will NOT be covered under warranty AND that the probability of finding something else wrong with it at a later date is higher than normal due to this incident. I would also not assume that you will be able to find any and every possible fault when you meet the seller.

There are a number of different deals you could construct based on those caveats, but unless you have a reason to do the guy a favor...are there so few devices on the used market right now?

Regards,
Tom

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I would make your decision based on the assumption that you will NOT be covered under warranty AND that the probability of finding something else wrong with it at a later date is higher than normal due to this incident. I would also not assume that you will be able to find any and every possible fault when you meet the seller.

There are a number of different deals you could construct based on those caveats, but unless you have a reason to do the guy a favor...are there so few devices on the used market right now?

Regards,
Tom

Yeah, I see where you're coming from and that's why I posted here. I wasn't actually looking to upgrade but found that this guy was selling at a decent price when I went to post something on Craigslist, so I emailed him with the assumption that it would be a fake ad. Well, it wasn't, but this fell into my lap. It's definitely a gamble and at $300, I may have to pass considering he won't budge on the price. I'm stuck between my id and ego at the moment...

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
the question is do you really need the ipad ? if not you can back out, what is the big deal ?

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
the question is do you really need the ipad ? if not you can back out, what is the big deal ?

It's all about the price. ;p. College students like myself get excited about deals, but I think I may pass on this one. I think the only price that would make it worth the risk for me would be at or under $250.

Last edited:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
It's all about the price. ;p. College students like myself get excited about deals, but I think I may pass on this one. I think the only price that would make it worth the risk for me would be at or under $250.

I think it was totally reasonable to be considering the deal, for the reasons you stated. If you can overlook cosmetic damage and get a deal, that's to your advantage. But, that was a pretty good ding, and the chance of having trouble later because of it...I wish I'd had your restraint at that (or any) age!

On the slight chance you hear back from him, you may want to be prepared with a position. You'll be in the driver's seat now.

Regards,
Tom

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
There will always be another one come along, hang on for another few months,
Apple would have to release new ipad, the ipad 4 price will drop even more and supply will be plenty, then you can choose the best among them.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
There will always be another one come along, hang on for another few months,
Apple would have to release new ipad, the ipad 4 price will drop even more and supply will be plenty, then you can choose the best among them.

Yeah, I think that's what happened when I nabbed this 32GB iPad 3 back in November for a little more than I would have paid for this 4th gen. Again, I was posting something on CL and stumbled across it. The 3 definitely suits my needs, but if can trade up at no cost to myself, I'll always be on the hunt. XD

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Ipad will be released every year, if you think every ipad is worth grabbing, then in no time your house will be full of it. :)

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
i would never buy a dented ipad shell out the extra money and get a new one or a refured from apple. iam sure the price is still over 275 dollars for this dented ipad

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Good on you for passing. I agree too that you would have had a hard time reselling it too. I would never buy a device with that severe of a damage, no matter how much I really wanted to have one. And like someone else said, a drop can result in so many other things being messed with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.