Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its first quarter earnings release today, T-Mobile USA revealed that its iPhone 5 sales stand at approximately 500,000 units less than a month after the device debuted on the carrier. The carrier also launched the iPhone 4 and 4S in limited markets where the devices are compatible with its networks, but T-Mobile did not specify how many units of those models it has sold.
"Our first quarter operating metrics and financial results are showing positive impact from the changes we began making in the fourth quarter. Branded customer net additions turned positive for the first time since the first quarter of 2009 and our postpaid business has demonstrated significant improvement," said John Legere, President & CEO of T-Mobile. "We ended the quarter with strong operational momentum, which is continuing into the second quarter, driven by the successful launch of our Un-carrier "Simple Choice" service plan and the introduction of the iPhone into our device line-up. Things only get more exciting from here, having brought T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS together to create the wireless industry's value leader and premier challenger."
T-Mobile also announced that success with its Bring Your Own Device campaign continued during the first quarter, adding 100,000 iPhones per month from customers switching to the carrier even before it officially began offering the iPhone.

tmobile_iphone_pipes.jpg
Comparing T-Mobile to other U.S. iPhone carrier launches, Sprint sold 1.8 million iPhones in its first quarter of availability in late 2011, although that debut took place within the context of the brand-new iPhone 4S launch. Earlier that year, Verizon activated 2.2 million iPhones in its first two months of availability.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA's iPhone 5 Sales Hit 500,000 Units

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not bad at all considering we are so close to the iPhone 5S, and most are aware of it.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Not bad at all considering we are so close to the iPhone 5S, and most are aware of it.

If by "so close" you mean almost half a year away... then yes... we are "so close."

Honestly. It is really dumb for some to be putting off an iPhone purchase right now to wait for a new iPhone model to be released in about 5 months.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Is that a picture of the t-mobile shareholders' collective "response" to selling the iPhone?

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Honestly. It is really dumb for some to be putting off an iPhone purchase right now to wait for a new iPhone model to be released in about 5 months.

Why is that then?

Does the same go for those waiting on a new Mac Pro or MBA?

You make no allowance for the fact that any purchase of a phone so close to an update will tie many into a 2 year contract with a phone that will be 'obsolete' [in Apples eyes] when the iPhone 6 will arrive and be unable to upgrade within their current contract.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
T-Mobile in Germany is absolutely rubbish! Too expensive for what you get and now even talking about cutting bandwidth back for internet...

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
If by "so close" you mean almost half a year away... then yes... we are "so close."

I agree, if you can wait 5 months you might as well wait 6 months, no make that 8, why not a year? Extending that logic further you might as well wait another year and then hell another after that, never ever buying a new iPhone because the new one is right around the corner. And by that I mean one more orbit of the earth around the sun. The new iPhone is technically always, right around the corner. Stay thirsty my friend.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I think if you hang around this site and others like it then you can say "most" know. But the common person walking around has really no idea what is supposed to come this year. Most people look at the iPhone 5 and think about the fact that it is a phone that's been out for less than a year. To them, that is still quite new. I'm not surprised at all. An iPhone on T-Mobile has been in demand for a while.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Why is that then?

You make no allowance for the fact that any purchase of a phone so close to an update will tie many into a 2 year contract with a phone that will be 'obsolete' [in Apples eyes] when the iPhone 6 will arrive and be unable to upgrade within their current contract.

Except that there's no contracts with T-Mobile. I totally buy into your logic for any other carrier, though. With T-Mobile, I can get an iPhone 5 now, sell it in a few months when the iPhone 5S comes out (and pay off anything remaining on the 5), and then buy a 5S.

Realistically, though, there's probably not going to be a world of difference between the 5 and 5S, and getting a 5 now is fine for most, who can then upgrade to the 6 when it comes out (keeping in mind they don't have to wait a full two years with T-Mobile).

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I think if you hang around this site and others like it then you can say "most" know. But the common person walking around has really no idea what is supposed to come this year. Most people look at the iPhone 5 and think about the fact that it is a phone that's been out for less than a year. To them, that is still quite new. I'm not surprised at all. An iPhone on T-Mobile has been in demand for a while.

The common person knows the iPhone 5 has been out quite a while. Unless you have no friends that is. The marketing blitz of a new iPhone creates real results that you can't deny. Having the phone come out on a carrier many months later does not have that kind of buzz. Even so, 500,000 in one month is probably right at or just above T-Mobile expectations.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
T-Mobile is contract free. You just pay all the costs upfront or get a loan for 2years

Why is that then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.