Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Can't wait to try it tonight on my run.

I hope more functionality comes to the pebble.

Well? What did you think? Can you control your music while using Runkeeper? I downloaded Runkeeper last night and will play with it on a walk at lunch time. I really like the idea of replacing my old Ironman running watch with one that tracks the data to an app. My basic first desire for the music control on Pebble was to skip songs while cutting the grass without having to stop and putz with the phone. Also, I find the face switching fun right now and am intrigued by the possibilities of adding other functionality to my watch face. My kids keep setting my watchface to grumpy cat after I downloaded it for a joke. I made a face with my company logo but want to tweak it for looks. Smartphone enabled watch is not for everyone but I like it.

Last edited:

fieldnoise

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
I was a Kickstarter backer and have had my Pebble for a while now, and honestly have not been super impressed with it's "functionality," but have loved it as a geeky tool for reading texts and tracking baseball scores. This is all to say, I share some of the skepticism about the device, especially since I have one.

That said, this was the feature I was most excited for, and even in this limited first implementation, it delivers for me. Like anything, this is always going to be based on your own strategies.

1. Running. At the most basic level, this thing saves a ton of battery life on your phone. Even though you are cranking GPS + Bluetooth, being able to have your big shiny screen entirely off during your whole run makes a measurable difference. There is also comfort: if you wear your phone on an armband, there is nothing particularly nice about trying to look at your upper arm mid-stride. Glancing at your wrist is more comfortable, even if you get slightly less information.

2. Cycling. I'm a commuter, not a competitive rider, so this is actually where the app shines for me. I don't want a huge iPhone mount on my handlebars, so this allows me to start tracking my ride, put the phone in my pocket, and then not worry about it again. I actually think that Runkeeper's "Auto Pause" functionality is pretty good, but since you can start and stop directly from the Pebble, my route this morning was measured with more accuracy. If I wore a jersey or something, I could imagine slipping the phone in a back pocket and then not having to look at it.

Again, a lot more could be done here—it's crazy to me that they chose to show average pace instead of current pace, and no heart rate info—but hopefully that will come over time. I just wanted to share these use cases for people legitimately curious. I understand that this reiterates a lot of what has already been said in this thread, but I guess I just wanted to spell it out a bit.

Last edited:

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
Side note- There is so much hate for the smart watch. It's been a long time coming, and it's here now. It's only going to improve. Get used to it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I am biased since I'm kind of a watch nut to begin with- but I don't understand everyone flaming pebble and anyone else who is rumored to be making a smart watch. I'll never buy a ferrari, but I don't hate ferrari for doing what they do. I'll never buy a Mac Pro, but I like apple computers. Just because a companies product isn't tailored to your individual needs it doesn't mean it's not useful to someone else.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I am one of the nobody's that still wares a watch. I don't think I would buy a smart watch. Mainly because I like inexpensive automatics and I like at least one thing in my life that does not run on some sort of electricity. Still i can see the uses of a smart watch.

The main advantage I see are discrete or hands free notifications. In a movie, at the wedding that your spouse drug you to, or at that party you have to go to but would rather keep up with the score of the game... or what ever. I see them as primarily as notification screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.