Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Not at all. It opens email instantly unlike my 4S. Everything is faster on my Nexus 4. Ever own one?

I'm with you on this. I have a plethora of phones and use the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 as my primary phones. My every day phone is the iPhone 5 since T-Mobile just got it and I've worked there for quiet some time now. I had the Nexus 4 up until then and just received the Galaxy S4 (haven't used it yet).

The Nexus definitely is one of the fastest phones I've used. My iPhone syncs up so much better with all of my Apple products though and I don't think I could give up those features.

Most of the mid-grade Android phones are laggy because of the bloatware and in my personal opinion objective c > java.

Android is java and iPhone is objective c.

In the end, I have no complaints with either of my phones but the iPhone saves me a lot of time with memos, reminders, iTunes, remote app and iCloud.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
My phone is an iPhone because I thought the larger range of apps was going to be amazing... then realized that as an adult, the range of apps I require is quite limited.

I had a 3GS, then switched to an HTC desire, and am now using a 4S. The apps I use on a daily basis are: mail (Bit laggy), spotify (Has issues with in-car bluetooth), twitter, facebook and whatsapp. And quite frankly, after 18 months, my 4S is generally laggy, freezes from time to time and apps crash.

I'll probably go to the Nexus 4 soon, but am waiting to see what comes out of Google IO.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to say a couple of things.

I have found a wealth of knowledge, and help, here.

I love the idea of this community, mostly, and a community it is.

Yes, the trolls. Avoid them. They should avoid themselves, if at all possible. (I should take my own advice).

I bought my first computer in 1985. I worked on Windows machines until 2010, when I bought an iMac.

Night and day.

I do not feel the compulsive urge to denigrate Windows users, or the decisions they make.

Nor android users vs iOS users. No point.

Once upon a time, James Joyce sought to enlist the endorsement of H.G. Wells, during a time when he was having difficulty having "Ulysses" published, because of obscenity charges. Wells, who didn't understand the book, wrote (and I'm paraphrasing) "The world is large. And there's room for us both to be wrong".

Apple changed my entire attitude vis a vis computers, as something which could really affect your life, and the way you communicate with the world.

I'm a writer, and I find Pages to be a most usable program.

I find the (sometimes) antagonism here, off-putting. There are (surely) Windows/Android forums. Why do they feel compelled to come here?

Well, I think I know why. And it's not worth thinking about.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'd rather trust the views of people who actually own the phone and none talk of any lag, you're talking rubbish.

And OP any Android phone can do the same, it's like basic functionality.
SKB just did a review on the S4 some lag. But overall a good phone. As for the S3 and nexus 4 waste of money#

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
SKB just did a review on the S4 some lag. But overall a good phone. As for the S3 and nexus 4 waste of money#

$300 for a factory unlocked, bloatware free quad-core phone with ample amounts of camera options (no other phone has) isn't a bad deal. If I had to choose right now, I'd still take my iPhone (read post above) but the Nexus is perfect when I travel overseas too. I get 4G/3G/LTE in all of the countries I travel to. I could do the same with my iPhone but I've only been able to access micro SIM cards and regular SIM cards.. haven't seen nano SIM cards yet.

I'm very neutral but both have pros and cons.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
The reason why I personally prefer the iPhone is because it's simple phone with all the features you need and good quality/design and support from developer. The apps don't crash or freeze, everything works the way it's supposed to work. All android phones have a ton of gimmick features and bloatware which sound amazing on paper but have no application in real life situation. I prefer my phone to be very fast and android phones tend to be laggy because the OS isn't optimized very well. The whole android customization is also overrated and tends to be a waste of time. I can sync all my music, books and videos through iTunes in seconds and it's very easy and effortless as well.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My phone is an iPhone because of these reasons:

1. It synchronizes all of my calendars and my wife's calendars easily and accurately (We don't use the "On My Mac" calendars because they don't synchronize). (I wish it didn't purge old calendar items though)

2. It synchronizes our contacts easily and accurately.

3. It synchronizes my iTunes.

And more important than any of the above:

No other phone has intelligent spam filtering of phone calls and e-mail either.

If someone else came up with a way to control incoming phone calls, I would give up all of the benefits of going Apple. I hope Apple is the first company to do so. Real Soon Now
My phone is an iPhone because of some of these reasons:

1. It synchronizes all of my calendars easily and accurately, except if all I have is a PowerBook and prefer to use Entourage over Mail and iCal. Then I have to develop arcane workarounds because iCal on Leopard doesn't support a key feature of CalDav and I prefer not to use SOHO Organizer.

2. It synchronizes my contacts easily and accurately, except if all I have is a PowerBook and prefer to use Entourage over AddressBook. Then I have to develop arcane workarounds using Applescript do shell script commands and buried terminal commands in Leopard.

3. It does NOT synchronize my iTunes. It synchronizes my PC iTunes, which is older than my PowerBook, but nope, all my PB will do is charge my iPhone.

But most importantly, my iPhone is jailbroken. So I don't use iTunes at all. I use Bolt App and Bridge. And those aren't the only apps/tweaks out there. #1 and #2 have all since been worked out, a major endeavour I don't care to repeat, but it's all done now.

And I don't have to worry about blocking calls because I use RingerX VIP which I have told to completely ignore any calls/texts or MMS from any phone number on my Blocked Caller list.

In short, I don't have to think about just how much Apple won't let me do. I can just USE my iPhone because jailbreaking lets me use it the way I want to and not the way Apple wants me to.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
We're an Apple household. It only makes sense to get an iPhone so everything plays well together. AirPlay still amazes me. Feels so futuristic.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Shoot, there's iPhone and Android mentions so I figure to throw BlackBerry into the mix!

My phone is a BlackBerry because I don't care about apps/media! :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
$300 for a factory unlocked, bloatware free quad-core phone with ample amounts of camera options (no other phone has) isn't a bad deal. If I had to choose right now, I'd still take my iPhone (read post above) but the Nexus is perfect when I travel overseas too. I get 4G/3G/LTE in all of the countries I travel to. I could do the same with my iPhone but I've only been able to access micro SIM cards and regular SIM cards.. haven't seen nano SIM cards yet.

I'm very neutral but both have pros and cons.

If the only thing holding you back from using your iPhone overseas is the lack of nano sims... Buy a cutter on eBay or amazon. Should be maybe $5.

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
If the only thing holding you back from using your iPhone overseas is the lack of nano sims... Buy a cutter on eBay or amazon. Should be maybe $5.

Amazon also sells an adapter that you just put your nano sim into and it makes it into micro or even regular size sim cards, better imo because you dont have to cut anything.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Amazon also sells an adapter that you just put your nano sim into and it makes it into micro or even regular size sim cards, better imo because you dont have to cut anything.

His problem is he doesn't have a nano sim in the first place. He would have to cut some sort of sim, at least once, in order to get a nano sim out of it. An adapter is going to make it possible to put a smaller sim into a larger sim slot (ie nano to micro or nano to standard) but it will not allow a larger sim into a smaller sim slot for obvious reasons.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Right. I remember buying a micro SIM card cutter 2 years ago so I could switch between my then Android phone and iPhone 4 (EDGE speeds, woooo!). I guess it all depends where I travel to. I have a BlackBerry 9780 that I prefer to use overseas since most people use BBM and if someone stole the phone / I lost the phone, I wouldn't be as devastated as losing or breaking the iPhone. It isn't the ONLY thing holding me back.. just having to worry about the SIM adapter and such would get old.

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
I've been an Apple user since 1983. I've owned more Macs than I could possibly count, and I've been an iPhone user since the 3G.

That said, the Nexus 4 is a really great phone, and is arguably the best phone out there for the price (about half the cost of an iPhone 5). The screen is great, the build quality is great, and pure Android is a good experience. I never had any lag problems that are being discussed here.

I went back to the iPhone for a few reasons:

1. Battery life on the Nexus 4 was always dicey.
2. I have small hands and like being able to use my phone with one hand.
3. Messages! Having all my messages integrated across all devices is a HUGE benefit for me of the iOS ecosystem. I tried a number of decent workarounds on Android, but it's just not the same as Messages.

If Google releases an updated Nexus 4 with LTE or a Nexus 5 that works on Tmobile's LTE frequencies, AND they fix the battery life, I'll be tempted...

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Last week my daughters MacBook Pro charger stopped working while doing a project. She call me in a panic from Texas. To make a long story short I'm in NYC, i was able to go in to the Apple Store App on my iPhone, buy the charger and have her pick it up. within 30 minutes she was back in business. Until android can do this no thank you!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My phone is an iPhone because of these reasons:

1. It synchronizes all of my calendars and my wife's calendars easily and accurately (We don't use the "On My Mac" calendars because they don't synchronize). (I wish it didn't purge old calendar items though)

2. It synchronizes our contacts easily and accurately.

3. It synchronizes my iTunes.

And more important than any of the above:

If someone else came up with a way to control incoming phone calls, I would give up all of the benefits of going Apple. I hope Apple is the first company to do so. Real Soon Now

What does the bolded part mean? Do I need to remind the occasional telemarketer that I'm on an iPhone for it to work? They typically don't call because its a cell phone not a land line, nothing to do with the phone. And the email server is who is blocking spam, my gmail account on my PC looks the same as it does on my iPhone.

And I hate to point out the obvious but Android (and Windows I believe) have ways of controlling incoming calls from just blocking them, sending it to voicemail, just not making sounds/vibrate with particular numbers, etc etc. An iPhone can do similar stuff if you can jailbreak, which is once again impossible.

------------

I have an iPhone as my phone because I don't need a phone I can download torrents, play emulators, setup undetectable hot spots etc etc.

I just want to pick the thing up and make calls and browse the web then put it away.

As far as lag. I don't have much experience with Android phones (I use Android tablets on occasion) but I'd hardly say iOS is smooth ALL the time. Check out this screen shot. Entered pin and then had a starring contest with the phone.....

baqajuge.jpg

Nothing is perfect but this is as close as anyone currently had to being perfect for ME.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Last week my daughters MacBook Pro charger stopped working while doing a project. She call me in a panic from Texas. To make a long story short I'm in NYC, i was able to go in to the Apple Store App on my iPhone, buy the charger and have her pick it up. within 30 minutes she was back in business. Until android can do this no thank you!

so you're saying your daughter didn't know how to buy a replacement charger on her own?

also, there are no android laptops, so i'm not sure if you really know what you're talking about.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
so you're saying your daughter didn't know how to buy a replacement charger on her own?

also, there are no android laptops, so i'm not sure if you really know what you're talking about.
Well she is 14 and her mother was not paying $80 for a charger. Plus she need it right away. For me to buy it in the Apple store app was the easiest solution. I was just sharing a good experience I had with Apple's ecosystem.

Yes android does not sell laptops, and that's my point. Apple has a lot more to offer than just a phone or a tablet. Also I cut my cable cord, what a joy#

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

Are your sure your phone is doing this? Even if it is, I'd recommend filtering calls and email before they get to the phone. GV can definitely do so for calls regardless of the specific device.

Last edited:

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
His problem is he doesn't have a nano sim in the first place. He would have to cut some sort of sim, at least once, in order to get a nano sim out of it. An adapter is going to make it possible to put a smaller sim into a larger sim slot (ie nano to micro or nano to standard) but it will not allow a larger sim into a smaller sim slot for obvious reasons.

Ahh yes I read that wrong thanks for the clarification

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
My iPhone is an iPhone because after exerimenting with the SGIII, nexus 4, HTC One X, Droid RAZR Maxx, HTC One and most recently an S4 I can't help but miss the complexity that lies within the simplicity of my iPhone 5.

Sure those other phones let make my home screens look pretty with Widgets and what have you but they also induce lag, crash far to frequently and are so loaded down with bloatware that half of my capacity is used by crap I don't even want (specifically speaking of the 8.9 free GB of space on the 16 GB S4)!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My current phone is an iPhone because it provides the best all round experience for me and uses. From first sale to actual device, ecosystem integration & 3rd party support, and 1st class after-sales support.

It may not do everything under the sun, but the little it does do, it does so excellently and reliably. And thats what i want from any tech device. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get things to work...i don't have the time anymore.

I've tried/owned flagships from every single platform out there thus far, but i always end up returning to iOS/iPhone afterwards.

There is a flagship Chrome OS laptop though. And it pretty much runs and syncs all the Google apps that come with Android.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

While I am not going to judge your daughter's ability to figure out what she needed (we are talking about a macbook charging cable, not getting the Apollo 13 and astronauts back to earth safely using a toaster and some string, right?), and if she didn't know, maybe ASK a sales person (what are they teaching kids in school these days?!), I will say that you can absolutely do this at other stores. Best Buy would be the prime example. You can buy the item right from your app and have it set for in store pickup. This is ANYTHING that Best Buy sells in store. If they don't have it, they will ship to store almost everything they sell online for free, in less than a week (generally three days). So, technically yes, one can very much do this with Android (and just about any other mainstream consumer electronic device). By the way, this isn't limited to Best Buy. Places like Target and even WalMart have similar options and sell similar products at competing prices (although BB will tend to have a larger selection of electronics, specifically).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.