Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which phone is better?

• iPhone 4S

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • iPhone 5

Votes: 93 81.6%

• Total voters

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Which features of iOS 6 are excluded from iPhones older than iPhone 5?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The only iOS 6 feature missing from the 4S is the ability to take photos while recording a video, which I believe is down to the hardware and not iOS itself.

Other than that, it's like for like.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The only iOS 6 feature missing from the 4S is the ability to take photos while recording a video, which I believe is down to the hardware and not iOS itself.

Other than that, it's like for like.

I think you're right. Only problem is that Apple causes the limits because I think the hardware can handle it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Why would they prevent it from taking pictures while recording? Just to make it seem worse?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 1, 2013
Technically, all pictures are taken when "recording" it's just real time, they probably could have added it in if they wanted to.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Technically, all pictures are taken when "recording" it's just real time, they probably could have added it in if they wanted to.

Its such a small pointless, useless feature (its low res when you take a snapshot within video) that i cant't imagine any point in capping it artificially. I only used it once to try. Never seen a point for it since.

Something in the camera module or the dsp hardware has got to be the limiting factor.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Iphone 5 is much better than 4
It is faster and better all around, technically, but not from a user perspective.

If on a GSM carrier with 4G/HSPA+, the 4S has been capable of low latency 14mbps. Which is broadband speed, and more than fast enough for today's mobile applications and media.

Its dual core processor and gpu is not stressed by today's apps.

It has a similar 8mp camera.

Etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only thing I see with my iPhone 5 is that its longer. Yeah it has a faster processor but I'm not a games player so I really have not noticed a difference.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I enjoyed my 4S better than my current iPhone 5.

I bought the 5 thinking that perhaps the slightly larger length would be an improvement. While its not bad, it's far from what I know Apples capable of.

What's worse is the rather bland phone they're recycling as the 5S with few so called "upgrades".

Oh well... it's been a long wait, but there's always next year.

At some point the competition may force Apple to catch up.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The iPhone 5 is the newest model so therefore is better. It can do everything the 4S can do and a little more. That wasn't the hardest question to answer lol.

It was also not the question asked. :)

----------

Software wise they are near identical the difference being the picture during video. This is why I didn't upgrade.

I'll get a 5S if there is a slew of software features that aren't included on the 4S with its release.

It takes more then a different screen size and LTE to make me want to upgrade. I know it has more then that going on but processors and ram don't benefit me enough to worry about.

I've been a satisfied 4S owner because of this.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It was also not the question asked. :)

It rather depends which question we decide to answer does it not? Did I not answer one of the questions?

The Thread title question with attached poll that asks: 'Which phone is better?' and gives two options, the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5.

OR

The question contained within the body of the opening post that seems unrelated to the chosen title of the thread strangely.

I answered the thread title question and participated towards the poll. I may answer the other question at a later date :)

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
If your carrier supports 4G LTE, the iPhone 5 is your logical choice. Why would you want to limit yourself to 3G on the 4S? (Or HSPA+ if you have a GSM carrier)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I chose to skip the 5 and used an upgrade to get a 4S back in January. I got it unlocked two weeks later and moved to T-Mobile where I get incredible data speeds, usually 6Mbps to 10. On AT&T and Verizon, I got average of 0.00 with dropped calls on both. The 4S is an amazing phone in every way even after 1.5 years.

LTE is still hit and miss. My boss at work rarely gets it here in Denver.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It rather depends which question we decide to answer does it not? Did I not answer one of the questions?

The Thread title question with attached poll that asks: 'Which phone is better?' and gives two options, the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5.

OR

The question contained within the body of the opening post that seems unrelated to the chosen title of the thread strangely.

I answered the thread title question and participated towards the poll. I may answer the other question at a later date :)

That maybe my fault then if this is a poll. I'm on my iPhone in tapatalk so all I see is iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 as the title then the question in the body of the OP.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
What's worse is the rather bland phone they're recycling as the 5S with few so called "upgrades".

Oh well... it's been a long wait, but there's always next year.

At some point the competition may force Apple to catch up.

The 5S hasn't been released yet--so no one knows for sure what upgrades it will have.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The 5S hasn't been released yet--so no one knows for sure what upgrades it will have.
Of course.

My point is simply that from my perspective the iPhone OS is already complete with lots of good features, so there's nothing of consequence that will distinguish it from the iPhone 5.

This of course, is personal opinion. But considering all the rumors posted from the various manufacturers, there's nothing that Apple could ad other than a modern sized display, that would interest me.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Of course.

My point is simply that from my perspective the iPhone OS is already complete with lots of good features, so there's nothing of consequence that will distinguish it from the iPhone 5.

This of course, is personal opinion. But considering all the rumors posted from the various manufacturers, there's nothing that Apple could ad other than a modern sized display, that would interest me.

Except for the fact that the iPhone 5 has LTE support. I wouldn't want to be buying into a 2 year contract and limiting myself to 3G until mid 2015. Especially considering how the rollout of US LTE has been going the last year or two.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The question would make more sense back last year when the iphone5 was announced, and you were a 4s user 1 year into his 2-year contract and contemplating whether to recontract or not.

Features wise, you get pretty much the same features on your 4s vs the 5, though the iphone5 does sport more ram, faster processor, LTE, a longer screen and better front-facing camera.

Myself, that wasn't enough to tempt me to pay to upgrade. Waiting to see what the 5s will offer. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.