Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I'll give that a try then. There's no memory leak with Ghostery then?
What's everybody complaining about then, just switch to that!

Ghostery may cause safari to crash, at least that was the case for some several months back. i use it in Chromium.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
Ghostery may cause safari to crash, at least that was the case for some several months back. i use it in Chromium.

That explains it. I think I might just leave adblock on then. It seems most memory leak issues are on Lion and not Mountain Lion.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
why? A browser doesn't need to use more than 4GB of memory.

Not your browser stand alone, but having more 32-bit apps (there are still too many today) will make your computer slow as hell. These 32-bit apps will be competing over the 2gb RAM available to them. So my point is, if I can skip any 32bit app in favor of a comparable 64bit app, I will.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Wow calm down, who said I am even debating? I am just giving reasons of my observations over the years.

Do you know the definition of debate or reason? Observations do not have reasons. Observations are your perceptions and your experiences of a certain event or events in your life. Reason is applying logic to establish or justify a fact. Facts are either right or wrong. Observations have no distinction between right or wrong. Your premise is that Flash is better on Chrome and therefore you conclude that Chrome is a better browser than Safari. This is flawed logic because Adobe makes the Flash plugin. Not Apple or Google. In Chrome, Flash is just already included versus other browsers (Safari, Firefox) requiring a separate install for Flash. Given that the underlying rendering engine of Chrome and Safari is relatively similar (Webkit and forked Webkit respectively) and the Flash plugin too, I highly doubt your observations have any factual merit. Simply put, your reasons for why Chrome is better than Safari is baseless.

There are valid reasons why either is better than the other. Better plugins for one, GUI preferences, OS integration, etc. But performance isn't.

----------

Not your browser stand alone, but having more 32-bit apps (there are still too many today) will make your computer slow as hell. These 32-bit apps will be competing over the 2gb RAM available to them. So my point is, if I can skip any 32bit app in favor of a comparable 64bit app, I will.

This is correct, although I will clarify that all 32-bit applications share 2GB for the kernel but have 2GB to use themselves. So total, a single 32-bit app has access to a maximum of 4GB of RAM.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I like Chrome's UI, even though it's not very Mac-like. It's fast and supports more HTML5 than Safari or Firefox. The deal breaker for me is it's 32bit and doesn't support Java.

That being said, Right now I always end up back on Safari. Aside from it's obvious hooks into OS X, better gesture support, and better resource management, my own testing has it beating Chrome and Firefox in most actual speed benchmarks, especially Flash and WebGL. Safari pulls a 32Fps on the Flash benchmark '08 Ultra test, while Chrome and Firefox fail the 'Ultra' test at 13Fps. Safari beats them on WebGL Aquarium too... 60fps vs 35fps Chrome and 30 on Firefox. Just by my impression, Safari may take a few milliseconds longer to load and render something, but once loaded it plays better and more reliably, especially full screen video and Flash games. I'll also add that Chrome's Pepper Flash process seems to use more RAM and CPU share than Adobe's plug-ins, either Flash or Shockwave.

I haven't experienced any of the reported CPU or RAM hogging complained about on the Apple discussion boards. I have seem Web Content process hold and hover around the 500Mb range with extended use, even sitting idle with a blank tab. Chrome will run higher and spike up to 800Mb on a heavy page, but always releases memory when I leave the page. Firefox runs higher too but doesn't seem to release resources as quickly as the other two.

Just my observations on my system :)

13" Macbook Air 1.8 GHz i5, 128Gb SSD, 4Gb Ram, OS X 10.8.3
Plug-in's: Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime, Acrobat, Flip4Mac, Silverlight, and Java

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Another bad thing about Safari is it has rendering issues on occasion. Scroll down to endless white for a few seconds before the CPU kicks in to render it after taking a lunch break. Unique to Safari ;)

----------

Changing the icon is not a mask. You clearly have no idea what you are saying. You changing the icon is just the same as the developer changing the icon. By changing the icon, you aren't masking it. You are actually changing the original system icon.

Ok buddy, try this. Paste a new icon over an application using get info, now press backspace on it for it to return to its default. If that isn't a mask then I don't know what is. If it changed the system default you would not be able to return to the default state, ga-doi..

maybe you should start making youtube videos on how much you want to know about stuff instead of how much you know about stuff ;)

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Another bad thing about Safari is it has rendering issues on occasion. Scroll down to endless white for a few seconds before the CPU kicks in to render it after taking a lunch break. Unique to Safari ;)

----------

Ok buddy, try this. Paste a new icon over an application using get info, now press backspace on it for it to return to its default. If that isn't a mask then I don't know what is. If it changed the system default you would not be able to return to the default state, ga-doi..

maybe you should start making youtube videos on how much you want to know about stuff instead of how much you know about stuff ;)

For some political reason he's on timeout.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I banned Chrome at work fro technical reasons related to rendering issues on an important web based database. Gave it a try for a year, back to Safari. It's just better.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Yeah, I was seeing that. I've been using Chrome exclusively on my Mac Mini since I posted this thread. I find it to be noticeably faster on some sites. On my iPad and phone, I try to use Chrome but they open Safari by default when I click on saved links so I use both.

i only use chrome to access youtube on my ipad. it's more comfortable, as chrome logs me in automatically.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I normally use Safari, except when I need to fill out any page with form fields. Safari has a penchant for trying to "save" memory at the wrong time, and usually refreshes the page just as I finish filling in all the form fields and put away my CC. :mad: Now, anytime there's a form to fill out, I switch over to Firefox.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This is correct, although I will clarify that all 32-bit applications share 2GB for the kernel but have 2GB to use themselves. So total, a single 32-bit app has access to a maximum of 4GB of RAM.
Actually I believe 32 bit applications can use over 2GB. I seem to remember the limit being in the 3GB range for 32 bit applications.

Roughly speaking, when you're running a 64 bit kernel, for a 32 bit application you use 32 bit system libraries that jump in to the 64 bit kernel which is in its own address space.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Actually I believe 32 bit applications can use over 2GB. I seem to remember the limit being in the 3GB range for 32 bit applications.

Roughly speaking, when you're running a 64 bit kernel, for a 32 bit application you use 32 bit system libraries that jump in to the 64 bit kernel which is in its own address space.

32 bit apps have a total pool of 2^32 number of memory addresses. That amounts to just under 4GB. But in practice, 2GB is not unique to the app. It's for the kernel which is shared across all applications. The unique memory pool is the remaining amount which is just under 2GB.

But the second part about system libraries is correct.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Safari is faster than Chrome on my Mac. But all browsers on my Mac are fast anyways so it don't worry about it. It isn't like encoding 1080p video or playing Crysis. More like a very fast future version of Microsoft Word that doesn't exist yet.

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
both are very similar and run on some variation of Webkit, so things are displayed pretty much the same.

I like Chrome because right clicking's first option is open in new tab. In safari its the second option. it may not seem like it but its a big deal!

I like Safari because:
- It's 64bit,
- It's built in Reader function is incredibly useful.

I used to use Chrome, now i'm moving to Safari.

MacScott

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Indiana
Safari here. I feel like some others that already posted. I used to be a Google fan many years ago but not any more. I steer away from Google Search and certainly am not going to use their browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.