Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
when did apple ever say "ya johny I've has been making iOS a more flat looking interface."???? how can you hate iOS 7 when we have no idea of what it will be like until june??? thats my daily rant. :D

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
when did apple ever say "ya johny I've has been making iOS a more flat looking interface."???? how can you hate iOS 7 when we have no idea of what it will be like until june??? thats my daily rant. :D
Agreed, people are already complaining off of speculation that literally has NO evidence at ALL.
The most evidence is "the WWDC logo is colorful obviously they're goin metro OMG apple is the new Microsoft, here comes the monopoly lawsuit"

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Agreed, people are already complaining off of speculation that literally has NO evidence at ALL.
The most evidence is "the WWDC logo is colorful obviously they're goin metro OMG apple is the new Microsoft, here comes the monopoly lawsuit"

wow. apple sucks. they r making iOS 7 ugly. it looks like windows 8..... just stop lol

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

OK, let me get this straight. You are complaining about other people complaining?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
70% of those people probably dont even know what "flat" means and simply bitch because all they "heard" is that windows 8 is apparently "flat" and they hate it

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
70% of those people probably dont even know what "flat" means and simply bitch because all they "heard" is that windows 8 is apparently "flat" and they hate it

Exactly. 'Flat' doesn't necessarily mean totally 2D like Windows 8 and Windows Phone. I'd call Mountain Lion's design pretty 'flat' with its mostly monochrome colour-scheme and narrow or non-existant borders.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Sigh..anyone who wants to know what Flat UI really is should look at Google's UI on their various products, for example the new Google Now app on the App Store.

And how bad is that UI? It's much better than the glossy days of the past.

That's proper flat design. Windows Phone 8 UI is the flattest thing out there and Apple sure isn't going that far.

I believe Ive is doing the right thing. Please feel free to share this post with others who need to be educated on Flat UI.
(I would attach pics but I'm on the go)

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Do you even know what you're talking about? I think a flat design will suck as well but everyone going to have an opinion. Not everyone just by default loves everything Apple does.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As always, I'm confused. How can anybody, like, dislike, hate, love or otherwise hold any opinion about something that no one has ever seen!??:confused:

Just asking...;)

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
As always, I'm confused. How can anybody, like, dislike, hate, love or otherwise hold any opinion about something that no one has ever seen!??:confused:

Just asking...;)

As a hobbyist designer, I can tell you that I like Google's flat UI very much, and I believe an Apple's version of that design would look beautiful.

So I'm looking forward to iOS 7 with confidence in Ive.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
As a hobbyist designer, I can tell you that I like Google's flat UI very much, and I believe an Apple's version of that design would look beautiful.

So I'm looking forward to iOS 7 with confidence in Ive.
I agree, Googles flat UI on all their apps are beautiful, although some of their apps haven't been updated to it.
Google Maps, Search, and Google+ are all very beautiful apps and show "flat" design done correctly.

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Maybe the complaints/concerns about flat design is just payback for the unending bitching about skeuomorphism the last couple of years.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can someone explain why glossy is good? All these apps with the glossy effect seem so dated compared to their non glossy counterpart. The letterpress app icon os an example of losing the ugly bits of iOS but not going completely flat. The icon has a textured background and has an element of 3D, but it still looks great and not cartoonish. And no glossy lacquer over it.

Letterpress_icon_1.png

Compare that to the phone icon
4564841257_e3cd13af18_o.jpg

Or the App Store icon
app_store.jpeg

They both look really outdated. Like going in to a house and seeing brass hardware everywhere.

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Can someone explain why glossy is good? All these apps with the glossy effect seem so dated compared to their non glossy counterpart. The letterpress app icon os an example of losing the ugly bits of iOS but not going completely flat. The icon has a textured background and has an element of 3D, but it still looks great and not cartoonish. And no glossy lacquer over it.

Letterpress_icon_1.png

Compare that to the phone icon
4564841257_e3cd13af18_o.jpg

Or the App Store icon
app_store.jpeg

They both look really outdated. Like going in to a house and seeing brass hardware everywhere.

That letterpress app icon is exactly what Apple are being reported to move away from, its fake analog and has become very outdated.

Flat design takes away all the unnecessary effects and gloss and isn't made to look like analog, like a lot of the fake calendars/clocks Apple does.

Here's an example from Google of flat design, there are no drop shadows or unnecessary effects, its all made in block colours:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Personally I think the letterpress app icon looks ok. But maybe that's because its in small doses and the app itself is quite flat.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
flat makes sense.
My dream:
if every graphic is a vector, which is a lot easier if all buttons and assets are flat, that would mean very little need for texture packs (buttons would no longer be a .png file that is loaded and stored in the RAM, but rather a set of instructions sent to the GPU to render a square with a blue background.)

eventually...eventually.....resolution independence (no .png file to stretch, just a GPU to be told to draw the square bigger.)

eventually....
different sized iphones that arent fragmented.

Renzatic

Suspended
flat makes sense.
My dream:
if every graphic is a vector, which is a lot easier if all buttons and assets are flat, that would mean very little need for texture packs (buttons would no longer be a .png file that is loaded and stored in the RAM, but rather a set of instructions sent to the GPU to render a square with a blue background.)

eventually...eventually.....resolution independence (no .png file to stretch, just a GPU to be told to draw the square bigger.)

eventually....
different sized iphones that arent fragmented.

It's a nice idea, but the problem with vectors is that they're not very performance oriented, and the CPU/GPU having to redraw them all the time would likely take a toll on the battery. By how much, I'm not sure. Probably not that much in the grand scheme of things. But in a mobile environment, everything has to be as efficient as possible, and vectors do draw more power than bitmaps.

It's usually much more efficient just to make your icons and UI elements a decently large bitmap, and downscale them to the size you need them to be on the UI. As long as you're scaling down by powers of 2, and don't go too extreme with the resolution (like use a 2048x icon that's gonna be as large as a fingertip onscreen), you can make a good looking, resolution independent UI without falling back on vectors.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
If you want to know how Apple is going to design iOS 7, look at the passbook app on iOS. The sample card is flat and beautiful!

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Just asking...;)

Welcome to Macrumors...

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL

I welcome the new design. Heck I welcome ANY new design thats good and makes iOS look sexy.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Apple's website has more or less been a combination of current iOS/Mac OS GUI and flat design for a while.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Flat just has bad connotations. We will love or hate it when we see it. I prefer a "flatter" design like the google icons posted above but others will complain. June isn't that far away guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.