Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

I just got a Chromebook the other day, and while I like it, it doesn't do enough for me. So, I'm going to return it. I need a laptop for this next month, but I don't want to buy the current one if the new one will be dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise. If I wait for the new one, I'll be stuck with a giant clunky old 17" PC for the next month.

What do you think is the lesser of the two evils???

Thank you!
Ben

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Probably waiting to get the new one, since the new Air will have Haswell (better battery life), maybe bigger flash storage, retina (exceedingly unlikely but possible). Using an outdated computer for one month and then having a brand new computer for one year is better than having a new computer for one month then having an good but older computer for years to come.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise.

U sound like u been around the block a couple of times to know there is no such thing as dramatic leave in the dust.

However, unless you are desperate the marching order for May 2013 is, WAIT.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to wait on this one. Also, do you think there will be a release delay, or will it be available as soon as it's announced at WWDC?

Thanks!
Ben

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to wait on this one. Also, do you think there will be a release delay, or will it be available as soon as it's announced at WWDC?

Thanks!
Ben

I doubt it'll be available as soon as it's announced. I'd guess maybe a July release.

As to OP's original question, totally would wait. You'll only have to wait 2-3 months max for what could be significant upgrades.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I doubt it'll be available as soon as it's announced. I'd guess maybe a July release.

As to OP's original question, totally would wait. You'll only have to wait 2-3 months max for what could be significant upgrades.

Interesting. Just wondering, what makes you think that? I know last year it was available that day. What about years before, does anyone know?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Usually computers are available the day they are announced. However, this isn't a hard, fast rule. Last year, the new iMac was announced but it was not available for several weeks and it was months before it was not in short supply.

As far as timing goes, the most common advice here on MacRumors is to buy it now if you need it now. Otherwise, wait.

It sounds like you can afford to wait a little while, so you'll probably be best served by waiting.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If they make an agreement with intel to have the chip much earlier than 4th June when intel announce haswell than it is possible on Apple event 10 june to have the macbook lineup fresh with haswell and available "today". If they don't make some agreement with intel then available July

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
ill be waiting. I'm considering getting a new macbook. just not 100% if it should be air or pro.

depends :)

But i see no point in NOT waiting

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
A new macbook line up with 10h batteries usage, just only for that and it will be fantastic

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
It might have 10 hours of battery life? That would be amazing and well worth waiting for!

Right, but don't expect significant performance increases AND a 43% increase in battery life. You will invariably be disappointed.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I personally care far more about battery life. Performance would be good though.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I just got a Chromebook the other day, and while I like it, it doesn't do enough for me. So, I'm going to return it. I need a laptop for this next month, but I don't want to buy the current one if the new one will be dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise. If I wait for the new one, I'll be stuck with a giant clunky old 17" PC for the next month.

What do you think is the lesser of the two evils???

Thank you!
Ben

Waiting makes a lot of sense at this moment the 2012 Macbook Air is almost a year old, should not be long to the 2013 Air launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.