Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
In every photo Ive looks like he's taking a dump.

I think he wants you to see the pure physical version of himself, unaltered from emotions, so that you can make the purest interpretation of him in an unconscious way.

In other words, he may very well take a dump on his inner plane.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I think its high time the OS was renewed, as its getting long in the tooth so to speak - its general appearance hasn't change for years and its getting a bit stale. I have noticed the OS is not contiguous - different areas of the same OS don't carry the same design / layout / etc. There are too many variables between multiple screens and even some buttons are different locations on different screens. Having an "ecosystem" with broken contiguity just causes problems.

I've heard the new OS will be "flat" in visual acuity, and design and I think this is the start of a whole new look which retains the basic and possibly enhanced functionality. Im not a fan of gesture based functionality because touch / buttons are quicker and more direct. Well as a registered developer looking forward to getting a look at iOS 7 soon.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Actually Apple wasn't generating huge profits until the iPhone came out. In FY 2001 Apple had a loss of $25 million. FY 2011 net income was greater than 1998-2009 combined.

All publicly owned companies strive to maximize total profits.

The amount of success they acheive says nothing about the goal.

Delmontebanana

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
You would fit in well at Microsoft or RIM/Blackberry. No so much at Apple.

It's that space that you and other people such as Steve Ballmer refer to as "nothing" that seems to be running circles around the competition. It's that nothingness that has been referred to as the magic in the devices that gets people in lines waiting to get their hands on a new iDevice.

I believe you though. There is nothing here for you.

Also this "nothing" is the key differentiator between the 4 and 4S. I won't say the same for the 5 as there was "something" different there - longer screen.

/sarcasm off

In honesty I do feel the iOS devices are losing their innovative juices and it saddens me. For me iOS7 is the last chance before I jump ship.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I trust Ive and I'm really excited about anything he does. The first thing you can definitely say about almost all Apple products is that they look, feel and work in a very pleasant way. There's of course what he says about what's beyond numbers and what you can describe with words. The iPhone is a flat rectangle with rounded corners, and so is the Samsung Galaxy S4. But for some reason - which one cannot describe in an ad and can't really explain in a simple way - the Samsung just seems like a boring machine while the iPhone has "something about it" that's just positive. It's not one thing, it's the way all the things work together and create that effect. It's THAT effect that most companies simply don't get (and Samsung never got). Some companies/people have it, some don't.

Absolutely agree with this. It's why any Apple/iOS v Samsung/Android debate is a total waste of time. I'm convinced its that left v right hand side of the brain thing.

I was listening to Gruber's podcast earlier, and they were discussing where iOS might be headed. The consensus was that there may be some over reaction to the talk of flattening iOS, and that "flattening" most likely means "making less garish", rather than making it completely flat.

The new podcast app is still a good example - it's flatter, but still has some subtle shading and gradients. But the OTT elements have been binned.

They also made a good point countering the thoughts of some that Ive will rid iOS of all personality. They cited some of the apps currently shown on the iPhone and iPad pages on the Apple site, that someone at Apple obviously likes, and so could be a hint at where Apple might head. So for example, on the iPad page the girl in the balloon in a photo type app, with text on semi transparent layers. Simple, flattish, but still looks good. Or the Catch app on the iPhone page - basically a flatter version of notes, but looks good, and has more functionality than Notes.

Designing something that is quite simple, but also looks good is tricky, but I have every confidence that Ive is wired to tell the difference between simple, and looks a bit naff, and simple, but also looks great.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Uhh, you do realize that when Steve Jobs was coming out with the NeXT cube, he spent a couple of months looking at hundreds of shades of *BLACK* to find that one shade of black, right?

Really? I doubt that's true but if it is, that's a tremendous waste of time.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Actually Ive is quite right. Lots of things that matter aren't really translatable into a number. Apple difference since Jobs comeback is really caring about all those things while most of tech companies stopped caring (mostly because of peoples that think like you and consider those things as irrelevant and purely superficials when actually they happen to matter a lot for most in the perception they have of the products around us)

How much is it worth to have a product that is a bit simpler to use, or a UI that is clearer. The same way, how much it is worth to have nice colors on the wall of your appartment, having a kitchen that is a bit more functionnal, having a sofa that is a bit more comfortable. You can't put a number on those things, but they still matter a great deal in the end.

I like your analogy. What Ive is describing, is that there is a certain thing that makes an emotional connection with the products. And it sure as hel isn't numbers.

Sort of like how the difference is between an hotel room and a home. A hotel room might be more comfortable, and have good service, but a home is a home. No ratings, or costs, service, or anything can change that. People like to stay in a home.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I think he wants you to see the pure physical version of himself, unaltered from emotions, so that you can make the purest interpretation of him in an unconscious way.

That's evocative in itself though.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can anyone give me an example where skeumorphism improved functionality?

I can't find the exact quote, but Ive once said something to the effect of he thought it was a sad commentary that a product had the right to exist just because it was functional. For me the problem with skeuomorphism isn't whether it improved functionality, but the instances where it actually hindered it by staying too true to the analog world.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I think Apple / Ive could a lot worse than this mock up by Simply Zesty:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05/10/a-stunning-concept-of-what-apples-next-version-of-ios-could-and-perhaps-should-be-like/

Flatter, without being completely flat, and similar cues to the new Yahoo weather app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.