Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noticed by iGeneration [Google translation], Apple has added new Flyover imagery and 3D buildings for Paris, France. The new imagery, which extends into the Paris suburbs, marks a significant enhancement for Apple's 3D maps in France given that the only previous coverage in the country was for the city of Lyon.

paris_3d_flyover.jpg
Apple maintains a list of cities for which it offers 3D building coverage, as well as other iOS 6 features, but it has yet to update the list with mention of Paris or any other potential recent additions.

Article Link: Apple Maps for iOS Adds 3D Flyover Coverage in Paris

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Unbelievable that they keep working on this worthless function for no good reason what so ever. Apple must really suffer from a severe brain drain these days.

What about adding something useful for a change, how about street view, or speeding cameras, or something else USEFUL!

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Wow this makes me want to go back to Paris so bad, you can tell they put some detail into the Eiffel tower too.

I think it's interesting that at first we saw lots of cities all at once and now it's been months between one or two cities. I think that speaks to the attention they are paying to satellite data and POI index. Now that it's starting to get a bit better they'll move resources back to flyover.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Unbelievable that they keep working on this worthless function for no good reason what so ever. Apple must really suffer from a severe brain drain these days.

What about adding something useful for a change, how about street view, or speeding cameras, or something else USEFUL!

I found this fly over feature most useful. It gives me a general view of the environment that I'm about to visit. It makes my brain retain detail info easier.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I'd choose StreetView over this every time.

I find Street View only sometimes useful. It doesn't particularly give you a sense of direction, and a lot of times (esp. suburban areas) what I'm looking for is obscured by trees and what not, I often get lost if I rely strictly on it.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
It's nice in the classroom to go on 'field trips' to these distant lands for those if us that couldn't go, but gives students a way to become a little familiar to see certain sites and what not.

As for myself, It's a gimmick but a fun gimmick.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I'm making a note in calendar with an annual reminder to commemorate this glorious day! I only wish iPhone had bump so I could share the calendar note with all my friends.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Street View works almost everywhere. Flyover works in several selected cities.
Case closed. ;)

Mc1gers

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Belfast, UK
It might not be a "useful" feature per se, but I find it enjoyable having a browse about some of the worlds famous landmarks with this feature.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Is it just me or do all the sides of the buildings look melted??? Shouldn't this be sorted out?

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
For those who have never been that view doesn't do the Louvre justice. It makes the place look small.

The place is huge. You can spend an entire day there and won't see everything. There's place to sit in every corridor.

In terms of sheer size, standing the garden @ the Palace of Versailles wins it for me. Its endless. I can't imagine how many people they employ and how long it takes to maintain things. Today or even hundreds of years ago.

M

Mr.damien

I love this feature. It beats hands on any street view. The problem is the number of city covered...

toby00001

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
To people questioning the value of this feature - you've clearly never used Google Earth. Software and features like this are indispensable to professionals in my industry (architecture & urban design), which makes up more than what I would refer to as a niche in Apple's professional sector.

To people comparing this to Street View - apples and oranges...no pun intended.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
To people questioning the value of this feature - you've clearly never used Google Earth. Software and features like this are indispensable to professionals in my industry (architecture & urban design), which makes up more than what I would refer to as a niche in Apple's professional sector.

To people comparing this to Street View - apples and oranges...no pun intended.

This is not a niche feature though. It is the one thing distinguishing Apple Maps from Google Map (besides the horrendous search capabilities of the former, but that is beside the point).

@ontopic
I must admit that I would have expected the whole expansion to go a little faster than it does .. but well. I like flyover, but with the current coverages it is next to useless in my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.