Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by AppleInsider, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published three Apple patent applications related to the company's Lightning connector introduced on its iOS devices late last year.

lightning_connector_patent_1-800x491.jpg
Perspective view of Lightning connector
The first application describes the hardware itself, while two nearly identical applications outline the adaptive technology used to assign pin functions. The only difference between the latter two applications appears to relate to one describing implementation on an electronic device while the other addresses its use on an accessory.
The present invention generally relates to connectors for connecting two devices. Specifically, certain embodiments of the present invention relate to reversible connectors with configurable contacts. [...]

Embodiments of the present invention provide techniques for dynamically configuring contacts of a host-side connector that is associated with a host system. In one embodiment of the present invention, a contact in the host-side connector is capable of being assigned one of several functions. The function to be assigned to the contact (and other contacts in the connector) may depend on the accessory coupled to the host system and the signals provided/used by the accessory. For example, when an audio only accessory is coupled to the host system, at least one of the contacts on the host-side connector can be configured to carry audio data.
lightning_connector_patent_2.jpg
Example pin-out diagram of Lightning connector
As part of the hardware-focused patent, Apple shares several examples of implementations for the Lightning connector, including the Lightning Digital AV adapter, Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, and even an as yet unreleased Lightning dock of similar design to the company's iPad dock for the first-generation iPad with its 30-pin connector standard.

Apple's three patent applications published today were filed in November and December of last year, but are continuations of similar applications filed on September 7, 2012, five days before the company officially announced the standard as part of the iPhone 5 introduction. The patent applications can, however, be traced back even further to several provisional patent applications filed by Apple in November 2011.

Article Link: Apple's Lightning Connector Detailed in Newly-Published Patent Applications

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Because having a giant pad on your desk to rest your phone on for charging is so much more convenient than a little plug, right? :rolleyes:

Plus with wireless your not actually getting ride of everything, the Micro-USB port is still there taking up room.

cuda12

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Because having a giant pad on your desk to rest your phone on for charging is so much more convenient than a little plug, right? :rolleyes:

Wireless charging right now may not be a very useful addition to the iPhone, but I'm sure Apple is looking at ways to improve the technology. Cables like this are impressive, but having a phone that doesn't need cables is much more so.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Why so complex just to simply CHARGE your device?
EDIT: For devices designed simply to charge the iDevice, no data function at all, like some 30 pin devices do (ie: car chargers with built in 30 pin cable)

(all the data abilities is fine by me, just the charging the device part)

Last edited:

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Why so complex just to simply CHARGE your device?

(all the data abilities is fine by me, just the charging the device part)

So that everything can be in one connector. Would you rather have a charging port and cable separate from a cable/port that does everything else?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm confused as to why the connector is so complex. The plug has eight pins on either side, but the jack only has eight pins on a single side. It seems that if the function of the pins on the plug were identical on each side, everything should work just fine. Even though the old dock connector had 30 pins (most of which were never used), I'm not sure what flexibility Apple is gaining by having adaptive Lightning connectors. I would think eight non-adaptive connectors would be able to carry all the needed power and data.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
So that everything can be in one connector. Would you rather have a charging port and cable separate from a cable/port that does everything else?

No no no.

Because of the complex circuit, a simple charging doc or charging cable will now cost $10 more.

I can point out a number of simple charging adapters for the 30 pin that has no data ability, why should they. With the Lighting now you need to spend more to get the circuits just to charge the phone (no need for any data transfer.)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm confused as to why the connector is so complex. The plug has eight pins on either side, but the jack only has eight pins on a single side. It seems that if the function of the pins on the plug were identical on each side, everything should work just fine. Even though the old dock connector had 30 pins (most of which were never used), I'm not sure what flexibility Apple is gaining by having adaptive Lightning connectors. I would think eight non-adaptive connectors would be able to carry all the needed power and data.

Because this is what allows the connector to work no matter which side you plug in. Probably my favorite feature of the Lighting connector. Nice little innovation IMO.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
They introduced the 'revolutionary' Lightning connector whe their ideas ran out. A pointless, unecessary and expensive "upgrade". Their next innovation was to reduce the size of their winning innovation under Steve Jobs. The iPad Mini. Now New (post Jobs) Apple are stumped for leading ideas after th best they could 'upgrade' the 'new' iPhone 5 by increasing the screen size and the camera resolution. So. In two years. Bigger screen phone. Smaller screen iPad. Pointless connector change. Er ...that's it. Not good.
Curse you for scrapping the company, New Apple :mad:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I could see wireless being very useful in a car where I'd rather not have cables running.

What would be really cool for car use is a magnetic phone with wireless charging. So if you imagine a flat surface on the center console panel, you just place your phone on it. No cables, it's being charged, and it serves as a screen for GPS, Podcast/music control, Siri, etc etc. You can do all that now, but it's pain and very un-elegant with all the little contraptions you need to setup.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Maybe I am mis understanding this but the possibilities with this connector seem quiet endless if each pin can dynamically be assigned a different function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.