Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have the spigen and tones.

tones wins, hands down.
stick with black though, the other colors get dirty.

also, consider the magpul field case. just got it, toss up between it and the tones for best case I have had.

I liked the tones case a lot. I just wish the colors were more attractive, they really are ugly. Even the "black" isn't black enough IMO.

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
How thin is the Magpul in comparison to your Tones?

close to the same. I don't pay much attention to thickness but really the magpul is thin. the tones is a bit thinner but I don't like thin cases all that much. You can't go wrong with either case. They are the two best cases I have had. Well those and the otterbox armor (the thinnest of them all ;])

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I liked the tones case a lot. I just wish the colors were more attractive, they really are ugly. Even the "black" isn't black enough IMO.

Oh, the Tones black is NOT that bad.:) Looks good with a black iphone. The purple Tones looks great with the white iPhone...doesn't seem to get dirty either. The Blue is okay on black. I agree that the other colors are not my cup of tea.

The slim armor black is a true black, HOWEVER with that SA case, it makes my iPhone 5 as thick as my 4S with a case on! That is just not right! The 5 with the Tones case is the same thickness as a naked 4/4S. That is NICE!

Plus the SA scratches way too easily, and I don't think it matches the naked 5 that well...the SA bevels are too large.

For the true black of the SA, one loses a lot (just my opinion, mind you), in the feel, look and protection of the phone (lip is too shallow). That is a lot to give up for a deep black color...or what ever color one chooses. If you get a lime green back, unless they protected the polycarb back better, it will scratch up and collect fingerprints the first day.

That is a big sacrifice IMO for a 'black' case.

I had the Magpul for the 4S. It is more rubbery, and a bit thicker, not much. I like the Tones since it is poly and TPU, but has a stiff feel to it...makes it seem like a factory part...and part of the phone. The rubbery ones are less attractive to me.

P.S. I dropped my Tones encased iPhone 5 from hip height onto a mall floor. Yikes. Case and phone survived with no damage or nicks.

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Oh, the Tones black is NOT that bad.:) Looks good with a black iphone. The purple Tones looks great with the white iPhone...doesn't seem to get dirty either. The Blue is okay on black. I agree that the other colors are not my cup of tea.

The slim armor black is a true black, HOWEVER with that SA case, it makes my iPhone 5 as thick as my 4S with a case on! That is just not right! The 5 with the Tones case is the same thickness as a naked 4/4S. That is NICE!

Plus the SA scratches way too easily, and I don't think it matches the naked 5 that well...the SA bevels are too large.

For the true black of the SA, one loses a lot (just my opinion, mind you), in the feel, look and protection of the phone (lip is too shallow). That is a lot to give up for a deep black color...or what ever color one chooses. If you get a lime green back, unless they protected the polycarb back better, it will scratch up and collect fingerprints the first day.

I had the Magpul for the 4S. It is more rubbery, and a bit thicker, not much. I like the Tones since it is poly and TPU, but has a stiff feel to it...makes it seem like a factory part...and part of the phone. The rubbery ones are less attractive to me.

P.S. I dropped my Tones encased iPhone 5 from hip height onto a mall floor. Yikes. Case and phone survived with no damage or nicks.

Personally I think the SA is the best case I have ever owned for my iPhone 5. Sure - it is quite a chunky case seeing that it is called 'Slim' - it is FAR from slim. However - I think the bevels are just right which makes it sit in my hand perfectly. Yep, the back scratches easily but I still like my SA case over my Tones case. HELL - the so called 'black' colour of the Tones case is even black!!!! It's more blue than black!!!! :D

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Personally I think the SA is the best case I have ever owned for my iPhone 5. Sure - it is quite a chunky case seeing that it is called 'Slim' - it is FAR from slim. However - I think the bevels are just right which makes it sit in my hand perfectly. Yep, the back scratches easily but I still like my SA case over my Tones case. HELL - the so called 'black' colour of the Tones case is even black!!!! It's more blue than black!!!! :D

So what? Given the range of colors the SA comes in. It a shade of black. Either you like or don't.

But the fitment, style and slimness of the Tones makes it best in my opinion. But that's my opinion.

Finally, it's NOT blue. It's dark grey/black. Two tone color.

Last edited:

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
got my armor case in today...love the way it looks but it does add some bulk and weight to it and makes it slippery..also whats weird is the fact that edges feel sharp even though they are round?

returning it, may just give magpul or tones a chance i guess.. urgh

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I'd rather take a better looking case that might get dinged up over the ugly gray of the slim tones.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I'd rather take a better looking case that might get dinged up over the ugly gray of the slim tones.

Seriously, I'm not trying to convince you to choose another color then the black of the SA. I'm just saying that I kind of like the dark grey of the Tones. There are plenty of black cases out there.

But for those that are buying the SA in colors other then black, I'm just pointing out some real designs problems I found with the SA. I kept my SA, but it 1) doesn't lay flat on a table..sort of wobbles, and 2) spins like a top on a flat surface, even a wood table, and 3) the worst point...the lip is way too thin.

The Tones has none of those problems. Plus the tones has a slimmer profile in width and thickness. The iPhone 5 just looks better with it. If I want black...I go naked ;)

If it wasn't for the lip, I'd might use it more...but I'm afraid that I'll drop the phone and, yuck, I'd be sorry. I don't use a screen protector, and I know some use the glass kind with the SA...but that makes it flush with the lip...so that $40 or whatever glass protector is unprotected...that is just plain stupid, IMO.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Seriously, I'm not trying to convince you to choose another color then the black of the SA. I'm just saying that I kind of like the dark grey of the Tones. There are plenty of black cases out there.

But for those that are buying the SA in colors other then black, I'm just pointing out some real designs problems I found with the SA. I kept my SA, but it 1) doesn't lay flat on a table..sort of wobbles, and 2) spins like a top on a flat surface, even a wood table, and 3) the worst point...the lip is way too thin.

The Tones has none of those problems. Plus the tones has a slimmer profile in width and thickness. The iPhone 5 just looks better with it. If I want black...I go naked ;)

If it wasn't for the lip, I'd might use it more...but I'm afraid that I'll drop the phone and, yuck, I'd be sorry. I don't use a screen protector, and I know some use the glass kind with the SA...but that makes it flush with the lip...so that $40 or whatever glass protector is unprotected...that is just plain stupid, IMO.

All true!

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
After a week or so with my Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, I do like the thinness of it, and the bumper look is nice. But I actually preferred the Spigen Slim Armor - color wise, protection wise, but not weight/heft wise.

What a pain. I think I may just buy another SSA and swap back and forth between them.

Also, the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer ruined my matte PhantomSkinz back shield, in case anyone cares.

would it be possible if you could post some pics of your cases with those colors on? i'm deciding which ones to buy and wuold like to see what they look like on the phone. i'd appreciate it. thanks in advance!

Sorry man, I gave it to my sister, but I may be ordering another. I'll post pics - the lime looked just like amazon's representation though.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Ordered the Crimson Red back from Spigen's eBay store. Had an eBay bucks coupon, got it for around $5 - not bad :D

The red is looking pretty sharp with the black.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195

chutneypunch

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
Power button responsiveness

Hi peoples, wondered if you could help with this,

I bought this case in metal slate from a top rated seller on ebay, it was the cheapest one on there. The box looks the same as all the unboxing youtube videos I've seen & I'm pretty sure it's official (who'd make a fake case that's already inexpensive)

Anyway I had a big problem with the top power button, I use this all the time to wake the phone & lock the screen again - and all of the reviews I've read and watched have said that it is very responsive,

I am finding that the Power button at the top just seems that little bit too easy to press. On my Switcheasy Tones case, it required a firm press before it activated however with the Slim Armor, it just seems that the slightest press will activate it?

Mine is easy to press just like the naked button and no it doesn't work when pressing on the front portion.

buttons work EASY!!

but when I received the case the rubber top section was really stiff and took a lot of pressure to press the iphone power button.
- it also seemed as if the inner part of the case's power button wasn't deep enough to reach the iphone button easily, although when i compare this to my other cheap iphone 5 case it looks the same/has the same depth, but the cheap one isn't stiff it's really flexibe and so the button is just as responsive as it would be without the case.

When I asked the seller if they could clarify if all the cases they have are like this, they just gave me a generic response and offered a refund which I've now sent it back for.

But i really like the design of the case and can't find any others that look this good for this price, so I'd like to buy another one from somewhere else. Do you think I got a faulty case? What are your cases like in terms of the top rubber section and flexibility and power buttons?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi peoples, wondered if you could help with this,

I bought this case in metal slate from a top rated seller on ebay, it was the cheapest one on there. The box looks the same as all the unboxing youtube videos I've seen & I'm pretty sure it's official (who'd make a fake case that's already inexpensive)

Anyway I had a big problem with the top power button, I use this all the time to wake the phone & lock the screen again - and all of the reviews I've read and watched have said that it is very responsive,

but when I received the case the rubber top section was really stiff and took a lot of pressure to press the iphone power button.
- it also seemed as if the inner part of the case's power button wasn't deep enough to reach the iphone button easily, although when i compare this to my other cheap iphone 5 case it looks the same/has the same depth, but the cheap one isn't stiff it's really flexibe and so the button is just as responsive as it would be without the case.

When I asked the seller if they could clarify if all the cases they have are like this, they just gave me a generic response and offered a refund which I've now sent it back for.

But i really like the design of the case and can't find any others that look this good for this price, so I'd like to buy another one from somewhere else. Do you think I got a faulty case? What are your cases like in terms of the top rubber section and flexibility and power buttons?

You can check your case if it's an official Spigen on @ http://www.original.spigen.com

I bought mine from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-SG...TF8&qid=1367521025&sr=8-1&keywords=Spigen+SGP

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
this just came in today.
was lying on my desk waiting for my arrival
perfect way to start the week :D
(Yes, its Sunday. Work week starts from Sunday here in UAE)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 168

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Sweet picture spigen posted on their facebook! Anyone notice that the metal slate color seems to have changed? Its a little...bluer? but it definitely looks nicer now!

"Gipsy Danger's sword & Spigens Slim Armor shield make for an awesome combination! Check out the Slim Armor for iPhone 5 in Metal Slate! ‪#‎pacificrim‬ ‪#‎iphone‬ ‪#‎case‬

http://amzn.to/15PH7Df"

No, they have just put a 'Instagram' type filter on that image that's all.

kaushik07

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
HI just some few quick questions

1) do Spigen make the Slim armor For Iphone 4s ? as they are selling some spigen Slim armor for 4s

2)If they do , how much protection does it give to the Screen of the phone from normal / accidental drops ?

thankyou

Attachments

• spigen.jpg
    spigen.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 109

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I got one from backgroundshop on Ebay. Looks legit, has all the packaging, etc, even though I suppose it may not be. $7.25 w/ free shipping, took 9 business days.

AppleCruncher

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Nice looking but would be better if it were metal. Seems silly to bash all the android people about plastic backs on phones when the first thing many people do is put a plastic case on an iPhone.:p

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I got one from backgroundshop on Ebay. Looks legit, has all the packaging, etc, even though I suppose it may not be. $7.25 w/ free shipping, took 9 business days.

Does it have that holographic seal that every SPIGEN product has?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.