Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will the Haswell 2013 iMac be released?

• Q3 (July, August, September)

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Q4 (October, November, December)

Votes: 57 64.8%

• Total voters

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
???157 days
Nov 2012577 days
May 2011280 days
Jul 2010280 days
Oct 2009231 days
Mar 2009309 days

123 days from not puts us in september for 280 days which is Q3

Does that sound like the right timeframe to see a new iMac?

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
My guess from seeing what Apple is doing with its non portable computers that you will not see a new Imac until the back to school time frame in 2014. So about 14 months from now. And it will probably be just a spec jump with no external changes.

What I expect to see with the desktop set is a new 27 inch monitor based on the Imac's current screen and a new Pro (at least I hope a new pro even though I am not a pro buyer) this year.

Tom

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Interesting thoughts. I don't see apple upgrading the MacBooks to Haswell, the Mac mini, releasing a pro and leaving the iMac with old processors. As we've had a redesign, all it should be is a spec bump that's needed. It's all speculation anyway!

I'll wait for the pros and then make a decision

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
you need a 2014 category. judging from the last release fiasco . . . . :rolleyes:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting thoughts. I don't see apple upgrading the MacBooks to Haswell, the Mac mini, releasing a pro and leaving the iMac with old processors. As we've had a redesign, all it should be is a spec bump that's needed. It's all speculation anyway!

I'll wait for the pros and then make a decision

Why the concern about "old processors". The difference between desktop-class CPUs for Ivy Bridge > Haswell is minimal. The main gains for Haswell are slight performance bump (can be overcome with a speed bump using an Ivy Bridge CPU), power consumption (the 2012 iMac are already pretty good in that regard) and integrated GPU performance (which is utterly irrelevant to the iMac).

There's no need to put a Haswell CPU into the iMac just because the rest of the lineup (where it really will make a difference, especially for the Air and the 13" Macbook Pro) gets one.

The current crop of desktop Ivy Bridge CPUs are excellent and will remain so even in the face of Haswell CPUs, unless you really need the extra integrated graphics power.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I'm mainly waiting for larger SSD portions for the fusion drive. Apple usually upgrade all their systems to be in line with current technology. I see your point though for the minimal difference the desktop Processing power

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
No Haswell iMac until way into 2014 (3Q or later) if ever. The main Haswell advantages (power consumption and intergral GPU) are not needed for an iMac application. There might be an iMac with a speed bump prior to that but it will be based on Ivy Bridge processor.

Might see Haswell MacBook in 2013.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
It if came out 1st feb 2014 that would be 428 days which is a long time for an update

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Late Q3 or Early Q4 2013

The only reason for the massive delay and shortages for the 2012 iMac was the friction-stir welding process that was new for that model, and low yields of the laminated LCD panels also new for the 2012 model--otherwise it would have released in October alongside the 2012 Mini.

The lower power consumption of the Haswell line should allow for higher clocks within the same thermal characteristics of the new design. Anybody who thinks they won't transition to Haswell is fooling themselves, and probably were 2012 iMac purchasers who don't want to believe their models will soon be a generation old already due to their late release last year and shortages that pushed many orders all the way into 2013. The 2012 iMac model was not a wise buy for this reason--the product cycle will be compressed now that they've got the new manufacturing techniques perfected and yields are returning to normal.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No Haswell iMac until way into 2014 (3Q or later) if ever. The main Haswell advantages (power consumption and intergral GPU) are not needed for an iMac application. There might be an iMac with a speed bump prior to that but it will be based on Ivy Bridge processor.

A Haswell iMac might have just enough power to make it into the June 2002 Top 500 Supercomputer list, which the current iMac wouldn't. The computer to beat for this was a cluster of 208 Pentium 3 processors.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
What you really want is a wrist watch, admit it...

The 2012 iMac model was not a wise buy for this reason--the product cycle will be compressed now that they've got the new manufacturing techniques perfected and yields are returning to normal.

I fear Apple may take advantage of the last delay and just shift everything back, not play catch-up at all.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
My guess from seeing what Apple is doing with its non portable computers that you will not see a new Imac until the back to school time frame in 2014. So about 14 months from now. And it will probably be just a spec jump with no external changes.

What I expect to see with the desktop set is a new 27 inch monitor based on the Imac's current screen and a new Pro (at least I hope a new pro even though I am not a pro buyer) this year.

Tom

They have released the imacs after the macbook pros for many cycles, and the mini is typically released after the first two. While they could change, it has been fairly consistent. I think we'll see something by Fall, but I suspect back to school sales are highly skewed in favor of notebooks.

Why the concern about "old processors". The difference between desktop-class CPUs for Ivy Bridge > Haswell is minimal. The main gains for Haswell are slight performance bump (can be overcome with a speed bump using an Ivy Bridge CPU), power consumption (the 2012 iMac are already pretty good in that regard) and integrated GPU performance (which is utterly irrelevant to the iMac).

There's no need to put a Haswell CPU into the iMac just because the rest of the lineup (where it really will make a difference, especially for the Air and the 13" Macbook Pro) gets one.

The current crop of desktop Ivy Bridge CPUs are excellent and will remain so even in the face of Haswell CPUs, unless you really need the extra integrated graphics power.

When they update hardware, they move to the latest options for each component. What possible advantage would exist staying with Ivy once Haswell comes out? They are not near the brink of doom and scrounging just to pay their engineers.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

Tom

This is what I am guessing too.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
you need a 2014 category. judging from the last release fiasco . . . . :rolleyes:

Somehow I doubt they're coming up with yet another brand new chassis, screen, etc. They're just moving silicon around. They could release 4 of these a year if they wanted to. They'll put it out when all the pieces they want to put in it are available. I voted Q3 but I'm guessing it's late in Sept (with immediate availability).

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think what you are more likely to see, are less and less frequent refreshes to the desktops as time moves on. I get the feeling that inevitably Apple really wants us off the desktops and on to portables period. The days of even 2 speed bumps per year are behind us I'm afraid. Even the low desktop sales numbers in the pc world will support Apple's thinking along these lines. The last imac update was nice and different, but they really just seem to have lost interest.

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Agreed. Add to this the fact that they will most certainly continue to update the Macbook line on a yearly basis. This means the engineering work will already be done--all they have to do is shift components around and voila, you have an iMac motherboard.

There's no way they would have gone to the trouble and expense of redesigning the iMac chassis for 2012 just to let the design sit and age into obsolecense.

Somehow I doubt they're coming up with yet another brand new chassis, screen, etc. They're just moving silicon around. They could release 4 of these a year if they wanted to. They'll put it out when all the pieces they want to put in it are available. I voted Q3 but I'm guessing it's late in Sept (with immediate availability).

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

Tom

That fits. Unless the pro is phased out I would place better odds on it this year than the iMac. A mini is probable this year as well. Even though the cycles LOOK like the pro was upgraded last year it is really 2010 (or even 2008, depending on who you ask) stuff with a minor spec bump. For example, it is still using USB2.

There are grumblings that the pro will get replaced with something less powerful. Hopefully not as it already a small base of buyers and that would probably shrink it even more.

If we see any non-monitor announcement (or a pre-announcement) at WWDC it is pretty much a lock that we will see a new monitor as well. Traditionally they get announced the same time as the MP.

grazva10

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
Apple and Intel are in a close relationship. They will upgrade to H. processor in 2013 for the iMac line up. Power consumption on a global scale is also a concern and power loss in Jule-Lentz effect is a big concern. That means the cpu and overall temperature of the system must drop down, and if it does, a more simple/cheap cooling system is required, less damage to other components, redesigned power sources and much more. It is only in Apple best advantage to upgrade, they will loose less money on the long run just by having a cooler system. On the other hand if each cpu runs say 20Wh lower energy the total mount saved per hour on global scale is 80.000kWh...To put this number into perspective, 80.000kwh will run 1000 light bulbs (50w) for 66 days continuously.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
As some have mentioned above, I feel that Apple will release their new iPhones, the new Mac Pro and at minimum an updated iMac with Haswell and GTX 700series GPU's with no other changes.

What I hope they release...
iPhone 5C + iPhone 5S
iPad 5
Mac Pro
Updated iMac
Updated Thunderbolt Display
Updated MacBook Pro (Haswell +700series)

Buuuuut I feel this is a tall order.

Cancelled
Apr 15, 2010
As some have mentioned above, I feel that Apple will release their new iPhones, the new Mac Pro and at minimum an updated iMac with Haswell and GTX 700series GPU's with no other changes.

iPhone 5C + iPhone 5S
iPad 5
Mac Pro
Updated iMac

Agree!

Cant wait to get late 2013 iMac with Haswell +geforce700 +OS XMavericks.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011

iPhone 5C + iPhone 5S
iPad 5
Mac Pro
Updated iMac

I was wondering about this today - what have they announced along with iPhone reiterating at past events?

The MBP and iMac are so due for the Haswell refresh. I've been waiting a while to purchase one or other - unfortunately I need more performance than the Air (and do not want Sandy B).

Here's hoping that one, other or both gets announced. I could get started on what I hope for the Retina MBP refresh but nah...

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Agree!

Cant wait to get late 2013 iMac with Haswell +geforce700 +OS XMavericks.

That will certainly peek my attention. But what I'm really hoping (in vein) for is a 21.5" TBD. I'd like a second monitor but a 27" display next to this would look ridiculous not to mention it's 1000 bloody dollars for almost a 3 year old piece of tech. If I could get my hands on a 27" iMac 2011 then I'd be very pleased.

----------

I was wondering about this today - what have they announced along with iPhone reiterating at past events?

The MBP and iMac are so due for the Haswell refresh. I've been waiting a while to purchase one or other - unfortunately I need more performance than the Air (and do not want Sandy B).

Here's hoping that one, other or both gets announced. I could get started on what I hope for the Retina MBP refresh but nah...

If a MBA 13" can get 12 hour battery life with Mavericks, then I'd like to see what a 15" MBP could do. I'm going to guess that if you kept some of your settings lower, 10 hours would be fair.
I'm going to stick with the older iterations of MBP until I can't anymore. In my 08 MacBook I've been able to upgrade the ram, boot drive and remove the optical drive in place for (conceivably) a 1TB hdd.
Comparing to the Retina designs where it is what it is, if it breaks take it back.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I'm going to stick with the older iterations of MBP until I can't anymore. In my 08 MacBook I've been able to upgrade the ram, boot drive and remove the optical drive in place for (conceivably) a 1TB hdd.
Comparing to the Retina designs where it is what it is, if it breaks take it back.

Same here. I want a 15 inch Haswell MBP. If the classic MBP gets cancelled I will order a refurb 2012 2.3 quad. The slightly less battery life and oomph that SB offers is more than made up by the fact that I can add memory, upgrade the hard drive and use the OD.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I'm guessing Q4. My gut at the moment is leaning towards Radeon HD 9000 series in the next iMac update, both because of Apples somewhat anti-CUDA rhetoric at dubdub, because it's ATi's "turn" and because of the nVidia 700-series being somewhat of a lacklustre update at iso-power. Not happy about the rumours that HD 9000 is still at 28 nm though, we've been there for way too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.