Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skitched-20130509-162226.jpg
A fourteen-year-old has discovered that the tiny magnets inside the iPad can inadvertently shut off implanted defibrillators if the device is left on the chest, such as might happen if the user falls asleep with the iPad lying on them.

Apple builds magnets into every iPad it sells for use with its Smart Cover accessory.

Gianna Chien made the discovery as part of a science fair project that didn't win first place, but she will be presenting her findings to 8,000 doctors at a meeting of the Heart Rhythm Society in Denver, reports Bloomberg.
The research offers a valuable warning for people with implanted defibrillators, which deliver an electric shock to restart a stopped heart, said John Day, head of heart-rhythm services at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah, and chairman of the panel that reviews scientific papers to be presented at the Denver meeting.

If a person falls asleep with the iPad2 on the chest, the magnets in the cover can "accidentally turn off" the heart device, said Chien, a high school freshman in Stockton, California, whose father is a doctor. "I definitely think people should be aware. That's why I'm presenting the study."
As a safety measure, implanted defibrillators can be turned off by magnets. The magnets in the iPad are too small to affect implanted defibrillators in normal use but can affect them if held close enough to the chest.

Chien's study found that 30 percent of patients with defibrillators who put iPads on their chest were affected by the device. Most defibrillators will turn back on once the magnet is removed, but some must be reactivated manually causing a potentially life-threatening situation.

Article Link: 14-Year-Old Discovers iPad Smart Cover Magnets Can Shut Off Implanted Defibrillators

Reactions: 997440

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I replaced my penguin stuffed animal that I hug every night to sleep with an iPad. DON'T JUDGE ME.

on a more serious note, this is a bit troubling for those that didn't know. :O

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Najbolje progutajte magnete, pa da vidiš kakvu štetu onda mogu da naprave ?!?!!? Majko, zemljo...

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Isn't that true of any electronic device? Magnets are not good as they interfere with electro magnetic signals. Take a powerful magnet, but it on the back of your phone and watch your iPhone turn off. I really don't think this is a discovery when it is well known and documented.

zeeklancer

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
Nothing to see, move along.

Look, there are magnets inside of all sorts of devices. It is know that a magnet can cause troubles to those who have Pacemakers.

So now we have to just attach the word "Apple" to a commonly known subject and get all sorts of fame?

Is this oh e-mail on a phone (which is a computer) is a new thing all over again?

bmclemons

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
San Francisco, Caifornia
Hrm

I don't get why this is such a big study or news. Apple has already posted about it and it's not just an Apple iPad that would do this. Magnets in general or any device. Kudos to the kid who "brought about this study" but it is in fact old news and already known.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I replaced my penguin stuffed animal that I hug every night to sleep with an iPad. DON'T JUDGE ME.

on a more serious note, this is a bit troubling for those that didn't know. :O

That didnt know they had a pacemaker? LOL! It`s like saying diabetic people not knowing what they are eating.:rolleyes:

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
hello?

This is obvious. All people with pacemakers are told to be careful around magnetic objects.

In other news, 14 year old discovers that epileptics may be affected by camera flash on iPhone.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
So Samsung is hiring highschool freshmen now? :p

Just because he's smarter than you doesn't mean you should start accusing people now.

Oh wait. Anything "bad" said about Apple means sneaky no good Samsung is behind it.

Bad Samsung. Bad!

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
...on a more serious note, this is a bit troubling for those that didn't know. :O

Why? People with pacemakers would be fully aware already wouldn't they, seeing as it's a safety device that is built in on purpose. That iPads have magnets like all the tablets that copy them is also well known. In fact the ads even make a feature of the magnets.

The only thing that is troubling is why Macrumors is putting such an obvious beat up on the front page.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
So how did this 14-year old "discover" this if it's written in Apple's safety documentation?

The Apple safety documentation has no mention of the Smart Cover. It only mentions iPads and wireless phones.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
So how did this 14-year old "discover" this if it's written in Apple's safety documentation?

That, and it's funny how it's always Apple that winds up in the headline. Do Microsoft Surface extra-clicky keyboard cover magnets also do this, or are they using pacemaker safe magnets?

Reactions: adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.