Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
http://bgr.com/2013/05/09/google-x-phone-cancelled-motorola/

I know BGR blows, worst tech site on the planet, but still, sometimes they are right once in awhile, when not beating off to Apple.

Google has long been rumored to be developing a high-end smartphone, codenamed the X Phone, in collaboration with its Motorola division that would be designed to push the boundaries of mobile innovation. New information suggests, that the company has abandoned the project because it could not achieve the level of innovation it had originally hoped for.

This could result in a device that doesn’t include the tight Google integration or stock version of Android earlier reports had indicated. While it was first reported that the X Phone would debut later this month at Google’s annual I/O Developers Conference, the latest rumors suggest the device will be announced later this year.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
"the latest rumors suggest the device will be announced later this year"

Does this completely contradict the headline and reason for article?

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
"the latest rumors suggest the device will be announced later this year"

Does this completely contradict the headline and reason for article?

The rumored 'X' device is a joint project between Motorola Mobility and Google (though they are technically one in the same). Google abandoned it, Motorola did not.

Rumors are rumors.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So when BGR has a post about something other than Apple, which happens a lot, are they beating off to Apple? :rolleyes:

Don't you know any article that is positive about apple is biased?
As well as all articles that are negative about apple?
Also articles about apple's competitors?

Ah heck, every article is biased if the reader doesn't agree with the author.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We have read previously that the x phone had gone back to the drawing board because google were unhappy with it - so it would be delayed. Its not then inconceivable that they scrap the project.

However without X phone you have to wonder..... Why did google buy Motorola?

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We have read previously that the x phone had gone back to the drawing board because google were unhappy with it - so it would be delayed. Its not then inconceivable that they scrap the project.

However without X phone you have to wonder..... Why did google buy Motorola?

For the patents.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I read somewhere else that Google was simply handing this project over to Motorola to complete... not scrapping it entirely. I assume that means the X Phone is now going to be come a Motorola SUPERDROID CYBORG ALIEN ATTACK X+.

...At least on Verizon.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like I won't be waiting for this phone yet. I'll get my S4 in the next few days and pick up a Note 3 in the Fall maybe.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I quit reading BGR because of the complete assholish Android user comments there. Almost every single article about anything on that site is full of pure crap and **** fanboy Android user comment.

Those comments are just off setting the fact that the BGR articles are full of assholish Apple fanboy content.

----------

BGR isn't the worst tech site, come on, you have to give Gizmodo some credit on this one.

Waaaa!! Waaaa! Gizmodo wouldn't give Apple back their lost iPhone! Let's all hate them now! :rolleyes:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Waaaa!! Waaaa! Gizmodo wouldn't give Apple back their lost iPhone! Let's all hate them now! :rolleyes:

Why are you assuming I was referring to the leaked iPhone 4? I have nothing against them for that, in fact they did give Apple back their iPhone.

I insult Gizmodo because all Gawker sites are shoddy tabloid journalism and the writers (especially Adrian Chen) are complete morons.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
http://bgr.com/2013/05/09/google-x-phone-cancelled-motorola/

I know BGR blows, worst tech site on the planet, but still, sometimes they are right once in awhile, when not beating off to Apple.

Google has long been rumored to be developing a high-end smartphone, codenamed the X Phone, in collaboration with its Motorola division that would be designed to push the boundaries of mobile innovation. New information suggests, that the company has abandoned the project because it could not achieve the level of innovation it had originally hoped for.

This could result in a device that doesn’t include the tight Google integration or stock version of Android earlier reports had indicated. While it was first reported that the X Phone would debut later this month at Google’s annual I/O Developers Conference, the latest rumors suggest the device will be announced later this year.
ridiculous.

As an I/O attendee, I can confirm that this isn't true.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I hope the rumors aren't true. I want to see Motorola make a comeback and actually give AT&T users nice phones. All the Atrix models have been pretty crappy.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, just hoping this doesn't turn out to be the rumored X phone as it's less than impressive compared to the latest flagship offerings.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What part of that doesn't impress you?

yes, lets hope it is not that "sketch" with zero specs mentioned.

Well, definitely should've linked to a more comprehensive article--was just the last I looked at and yeah, doesn't give much detail. My potential disappointment pertains to rumored specs that is was using an older CPU (Snapdragon S4 I believe) and display resolution would be 720p. It's supposedly a unibody design (good) but some rumors have it at only 16GB internal storage (bad). If true, doesn't sound much different than a Nexus 4

Certainly not horrible but not up to par with what's being released by other manufacturers in their flagship devices now, at least IMO.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 600?
Or Snapdragon 800?

Well, definitely should've linked to a more comprehensive article--was just the last I looked at and yeah, doesn't give much detail. My potential disappointment pertains to rumored specs that is was using an older CPU (Snapdragon S4 I believe) and display resolution would be 720p. It's supposedly a unibody design (good) but some rumors have it at only 16GB internal storage (bad). If true, doesn't sound much different than a Nexus 4

Certainly not horrible but not up to par with what's being released by other manufacturers in their flagship devices now, at least IMO.

But the thing you linked did not talk about a single thing you just mentioned. So how could it not impress you when none of that was ever talked about? Or are you saying something else did not impress you and you just linked to the wrong site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.