Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Nowhereelse.fr highlighted new part photos posted by Japanese vendor Moumantai showing what is claimed to be from the iPhone 5S or perhaps Apple's lower-cost iPhone. The part corresponds to an iPhone 5 part attached to the top end of the main logic board, but does contain some layout differences.

iphone_5s_antenna_part.jpg
Nowhereelse.fr and other sites have speculated that the part is related to camera functionality given its proximity to the front and rear cameras on the iPhone, but we chatted with iFixit's Miro Djuric and determined that it appears to be primarily related to wireless antenna functionality, although its exact role has not been confirmed.

The corresponding iPhone 5 part houses a low noise amplifier from Skyworks that is involved in cellular connectivity. The part shown in the new photos also contains an antenna connector, which appears to correspond to one located nearby on the main logic board in the iPhone 5. That iPhone 5 connector is believed (but not confirmed) to be for the device's Wi-Fi antenna.

iphone_5s_antenna_part_2.jpg
While Apple has tweaked the layout of this part somewhat, it is very similar to the corresponding iPhone 5 part and does not immediately reveal any major changes for the device that will use it.

Minor parts for the next-generation iPhone have been leaking over the last several months, although identification of the devices associated with those parts has been made more difficult by rumors that Apple is looking to introduce both an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone later this year. In past years, Apple's strategy has been to release just one new model while keeping previous models available at lower price points.

Article Link: New Antenna-Related Part From Upcoming iPhone Surfaces

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Hello to apple employees using iveOS 7.
How about a hint in the comment section as to whether it is going to be a 5S or 6

We know your watching us !!!!!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
My predictions for the next iPhone: thinner, lighter, same/better battery life.

I should be an analyst. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add 'magical' to the list of features.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"from-upcoming-iphone-surfaces"

For a moment I was afraid that there was a new hybrid product on the way...

But only for a moment, thankfully, shudder..,

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
A possible antenna-related part of a possible new iPhone. I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight after reading this.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Am I the only one here who looks at these leaked photos and thinks: "I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at". I might as well be gazing at an X-ray of my spleen.

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I hope this is a sign of an antenna redesign so that there is a second antenna to take advantage of simultaneous data and voice on EVDO until VoLTE is a reality.

A guy can dream, anyway.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Am I the only one here who looks at these leaked photos and thinks: "I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at". I might as well be gazing at an X-ray of my spleen.

I thought soft tissue was essentially invisible to x-rays, thus your spleen wouldn't appear on the photo :(

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
You ask for it, and Apple delivers! Finally, the warbley-wobbly internals we've been craving!

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

I think the guys behind these photos are the same guys that made fuzzy photos in the past and than claimed to see big-foot or an ufo......:D

----------

I thought soft tissue was essentially invisible to x-rays, thus your spleen wouldn't appear on the photo :(

Wrong, it does using special liquids in your blood to make organs visable on x-ray. They do the same with kidney stones, but than with liquid in your urine.

Pierrep99

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
Along with many here I have been loyal to iphone for a long time but I sometimes want to scream when I see all these Android hardware devices that are leaving iphone way behind. It's frustrating that all I'm to expect is to add a letter to the new phone title and call it a new model. Give us more!!

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Wrong, it does using special liquids in your blood to make organs visable on x-ray. They do the same with kidney stones, but than with liquid in your urine.

So I wasn't wrong, was I? An x-ray, on its own, by itself, without any sort of "special liquids" or kidney stones (which are not soft tissue) will not show soft tissue as I stated. :confused:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So I wasn't wrong, was I? An x-ray, on its own, by itself, without any sort of "special liquids" or kidney stones (which are not soft tissue) will not show soft tissue as I stated. :confused:

However if you were looking at an X-Ray specifically of your organs, they'd have put the liquid in ;)

I can't help but feel we've gone off track here. :D

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

Well, I just double checked and they can see tumors without contrast-fluids as a 'shadow' in soft tissue. With respect to the kidney stones, they cannot see the kidney stones themselves (to small) but they can see any obstruction caused by them in the urine flow using contrast-fluid. Soft tissue does show up on x-rays, only less visible than bones and stuff. So I guess you are wrong anyways. :p

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
However if you were looking at an X-Ray specifically of your organs, they'd have put the liquid in ;)

I can't help but feel we've gone off track here. :D

Yes, remind me never to make terrible jokes on an online forum.

This is mainly why I don't post very often, sigh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.