Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
It's a choice at the moment. I can't decide to change it.
The technical reason goes something like this: making UF run without a password would require to overwrite system information at every operation (info related to the fans themselves). I can make this process perfectly safe, but am not sure whether it's worth the work.

Perhaps take notice of the Cocktail application - There's an Add to Keychain option if you are at all worried about making your way around something?

-
Great app for keeping my MacBook 2009 White quiet and hover at 56-60 degrees celcius. Thanks!

jamper

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Hello there. Great App!! Thanks :)

If i reboot to bootcamp ( reboot to windows ), through settings, the temperature set in ultrafan will be maintained in windows?

corporategadfly

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Running Ultra Fan 9.2 on a MacBook Pro (Early 2011) MacBookPro8,3 with OSX 10.8.2.

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to show the left/right fan speed in the main Ultra Fan window?

hos56jph

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
show the left/right fan speed in the main Ultra Fan window?
11.jpg

12.jpg

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I'm using UltraFan to get around the fan speed bug on my RMBP 2013 with a SanDisk SSD, but I have a question.

What would happen if a temperature sensor stopped working, and started to report values way too low, or even 0? And if this app crashes, is there a risk for the fans not to spin up when needed? I don't want my computer to run too hot if this app would for some reason crash when I'm not using it.

Other than these concerns, the application is working well. It often reports a much higher temperature than iStat Menus though, and the fans run faster than necessary because of that. Maybe this is an average to stop the fan speed from changing too often?

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
To those who are using this app to temporary alleviate the fan issue in the 15' rMBP, what is the best setting? Thanks!

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Perhaps take notice of the Cocktail application - There's an Add to Keychain option if you are at all worried about making your way around something?

The keychain doesn't serve the purpose I'd like to implement, but I have never used Cocktail. Would you mind explaining briefly what you think it does?

If i reboot to bootcamp ( reboot to windows ), through settings, the temperature set in ultrafan will be maintained in windows?

That's correct.

Running Ultra Fan 9.2 on a MacBook Pro (Early 2011) MacBookPro8,3 with OSX 10.8.2.

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to show the left/right fan speed in the main Ultra Fan window?

Hi there,
I could implement it, but it would go against the minimal interface of the application. Where would you want those speeds to be in the interface?

I'm using UltraFan to get around the fan speed bug on my RMBP 2013 with a SanDisk SSD, but I have a question.

What would happen if a temperature sensor stopped working, and started to report values way too low, or even 0? And if this app crashes, is there a risk for the fans not to spin up when needed? I don't want my computer to run too hot if this app would for some reason crash when I'm not using it.

Other than these concerns, the application is working well. It often reports a much higher temperature than iStat Menus though, and the fans run faster than necessary because of that. Maybe this is an average to stop the fan speed from changing too often?

The question is totally legitimate.
UltraFan always checks for the most reliable thermal sensor. If no sensor is available, an error will be printed, and the app won't allow any operation (and, if it's working when the check fails, it simply gives the control back to the OS, which will have to deal with it by itself).
If a sensor reports strange values, such as 0, it's considered as unavailable, and UltraFan simply skips it.
As for the "risk" of it crashing, I've never received any crash report for a non-beta release of UltraFan. It can crash if some other processes cause a kernel panic, for example, as a consequence of the OS crashing. I can't prevent errors from happening outside the app. :)
We can investigate why there's a difference in the reported temperature, if you're interested, but the cause is probably very simple: UltraFan is basing on another thermal sensor which is considered to be more reliable than the one iStat is using.

very useful!

Glad you're liking it!
:)

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
The keychain doesn't serve the purpose I'd like to implement, but I have never used Cocktail. Would you mind explaining briefly what you think it does?

What I think it does is create an entry in the Keychain for the times when you open Cocktail so that it does not ask for your password on each launch. It's what I was referring to when I wrote that post. UltraFan asks for a password on each launch - so to get around that I only suggested that UltraFan could lend from Cocktail.

x0054

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
First, this is a great app! And free! I love it!

A few Feature requests, perhaps you would consider:

1. Could you add a selector, so users could choose from different sensors. For instance, I don't much care for direct CPU temperature. But there is a sensor in my MBP for the left heatpipe/heatsync. I find that the temperature more or less directly correlates to the temperature of the bottom of the case, and that's what I care most about. CPU temperature swings dramatically, but the case temperature stays more or less steady, and moves up and down slowly.

2. Could you add the "agression" setting. Something that allows me to set how aggressively the fans ramp up when the temperature is above set value. Something that for instance would allow me to set the desired temp and the max temp before fan hits 100%.

3. This might be asking for too much, but also perhaps CPU acceleration would be nice too. So, for instance, if the CPU has been at above 80% for 10 seconds or more, the fan starts to speedup, regardless of the temperature.

Oh, BTW, not sure what your ideas for this in the future are, but if you are thinking about making it Open Source, perhaps getting GitHub account would be a good idea.

Thanks for the great program!

- Bogdan

jdenner

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
Help

Hello
I installed UltraFan in my MacBook Pro and I have a problem.
The actual temperature is locked at 36 degrees. No is cooling. :(
Have you seen this before?

Thanks in advance!

Information:
Macbook Pro 13.3 (jan/2013)
OS X 10.8.3
UltraFan 9.2

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Brilliant app -- prefer it massively to SMCfancontrol

Only problem is the password on login box that appears :(

SundancePioneer

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
I don't know how i can thank you, man.. you literally saved my life!!!

I had a CPU fan going crazy after an SSD installation on my 27" mid 2011 iMac.. and i couldn't find any plugin or software that was able to change the speed. I was so lost because working on a machine with the main fan going at 3899rpm will drive you insane sooner or later..

Today i discovered your brilliant app and it seems to be the only working solution and it does the job so incredibly well.. i was screaming of happiness when i saw it worked :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you..

Are you accepting donations?

Thanks again...

flclkun

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
Would really really really love a feature that disables ultrafan from asking for a password each time it starts up. It gets very annoying how something so basic and something that was considered a standard back in the late 90's to be missing today in ANY software... uggh

You might as well have the software say

"Even though you're hardware architect, you're clearly retarded and don't know what you're doing. Are you sure you wish to run this software? Please be sure you are because you know...you're probably retarded"

It's insulting

mbze430

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
OSX 10.9 w/ultrafan constant error

I couldn't find the author of Ultrafan via google search. But I did end up finding this thread. So I just register to say, and hopefully someone will pass this along to the author of Ultrafan.

Ultrafan running on OSX 10.9 DP4 gives a series of error in the console.

kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff800fd1f000

M0V3M3N7

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
London, UK
Whats the "optimum" temperature for the system to be at? My SMC control (yes your app looks much better I will be downloading! - thank you) was putting my system at 96/97 c earlier today (gaming use) which seems really worrying high?

skynova

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
question about the option"Open at log in"

Hi everybody,
I've designed this app to be very easy to use. You set a target temperature, and it'll adjust the fans accordingly. I've coded it for my personal use, but since it's useful, I feel I should share it! :)

Edit: Revision 3 improves speed regulation.
Edit: Revision 4 adds a more gradual automatic speed change.
Edit: Revision 5 adds the "open at login" feature and fixes a display problem.
Edit: Revision 6 implements S.M.A.R.T. reading and small core changes. 6.2 provides a fix for certain machine's behaviour when no temperature sensor is found.
Edit: Revision 7
  • implements more gradual speed changes and more advanced criterias
  • when running on batteries, speed change is less aggressive
  • auto-start on login feature
  • improves the overall performance
Edit: Revision 8 brings an even more minimalistic and user friendly interface along with an increase in performance.
Edit: Revision 8.1 and Revision 8.2 fix minor glitches.
Edit: Revision 9
  • entirely rewritten the core of the automatic speed regulation
  • manual control: you can now manually control your fans' speed
  • new user interface
  • now checks for every available temperature sensor
  • fixes a series of minor bug fixes
Edit: Revision 9.1 fixes a bug involving the choice of the Farenheit unit.
Edit: Revision 9.2 now reads the real CPU temperature in MacBook Pro Retinas.

UltraFan(...-10.5) is for Leopard users.

Feel free to post feedback and suggest new features.

Readme
On the status bar, if either auto or manual mode is on you'll notice a symbol right before the current temperature. √ means auto mode is on; ~ means manual mode is on.
The "save log on Desktop" checkbox has been introduced in the beta development, and I'll probably remove it. For further information, you can read the latest Beta post.

I'm using the ver. 9.2 on my MBP retina DP 15" OS 10.8.4 , after I choose the option Open at log in but every time I start my computer it won't open and I need to open it myself, I want to know why, thanks!

chargerman426

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I just downloaded and installed UltraFan 9.2 but received a "Couldn't retrieve the temperature from both the temperature sensor and S.M.A.R.T. technology" error. Any idea why I would be receiving this error?

I had previously installed SMC Fancontroller but used AppZapper to remove it.

Late 09 iMac i7

Just installed UltraFan on my MBP that also had SMC FanController previously installed and UltraFan is working great on my MBP.

Last edited:

skynova

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
This is a great app for mac even better than smcfan control, but I think if you can make it no need to enter the user password every time when it open will be perfect.:)

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
The only problem is that you can't get rid of the window by clicking elsewhere, you have to click on the temperature in the menu bar. Kinda annoying. Otherwise though, it's awesome. Works on 10.9

Cassadian

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
For some reason when I start a game that utilizes full screen mode (almost every game) it leads to blurred text of the temperature and I'm unable to change settings. Is there a fix for this?

Otherwise awesome program!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.