Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I got too many passwords, userids and email accounts to remember. What is the best way to solve this problem? I know that there are programs that store the passwords. Isn't it risky? I mean if an unauthorized person has access to this database, that person will know the passwords of all my accounts. Am I missing something? Thanks.

superriku11

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Hi, I got too many passwords, userids and email accounts to remember. What is the best way to solve this problem? I know that there are programs that store the passwords. Isn't it risky? I mean if an unauthorized person has access to this database, that person will know the passwords of all my accounts. Am I missing something? Thanks.

The decent password managers encrypt the password database, and seamlessly handle decryption with a "master key" as you probably know it.

It would make it impossible to retrieve passwords from the database (assuming you used a good master key) when it is not actively being used, depending on how your password manager works. If you use a weak password, it would be possible to crack the database encryption and then retrieve all your passwords.

Technically it's also possible to retrieve the password to the database from a memory dump if you leave it authenticated while you're away, however that's a very professional type of attack, and it's doubtful that if you're an average user, anybody would try to do that.

So generally you'd be pretty safe using a good, secure password manager. If you're extra paranoid be sure you "lock" it (encrypt, de-authorize, de-authenticate, whatever your password manager calls it) when you're not using it. Or have it set so that anytime you need a password out of it, you must supply the master password, each and every time. But that may be more of a hassle if you don't need extra stringent security.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Just use 1Password. They tell you that if you forget your password you are so out of luck.

However, if you open 1Password or any other password manager and then go away from your machine without locking it then others could see your passwords. You still have to protect the machine itself.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get a small notebook.

Write things down.

Keep it in a safe place (even in a safe, if need be).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I highly recommend using LastPass to solve your credential management problems.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I'm another happy LastPass user. It works well on my Mac, iPhone & iPad, and Windows pc.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Use the password manager app Keychain that comes free with your Mac. Is there something specific Keychain is not doing for you?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
After years of resisting, I recently gave in and started using LastPass. I'm very pleased with it and one great feature is it will autofill login info on sites where Keychain won't.

It's a great tool isn't it?

Lastpass got top ratings from security expert Steve Gibson. It's the one I use.

Same here. I love his podcast, "Security Now" with Leo Laporte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.