Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kapali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
INDIA
I live in an area in India where the air is full of dust and wether humid. My MacBook Air screen gets dots of specs and a lot of stains.

Is there any simple method to clean the screen periodically, to keep the screen clean?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Do you have glass cleaner in India, you know that blue stuff in a spray container you buy in a super market?
If so use that, I always use this and never gave me problems, but do NOT spray it directly onto the screen, spray it on a tissue or cloth, then clean, I warn you because there have been people here on MR who did so and the screen got messed up for a while.

Example below.

glass-cleaner.jpg

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I never used window cleaner, but a bottle of cleaner for glasses (example). It's a non-aggressive product (Hey, you use it on something that's close to your eyes :rolleyes:) and it has worked perfectly for years. As previous poster said: never spray directly at screen, but on a piece of cloth to wipe it down with.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
An inexpensive microfiber cloth dampened with water, will do a perfect job of cleaning your screen. I keep one in my laptop bag. By using it daily, my display stays extremely clean. If you use this method there's no chance of stains, pits, or any damage to your screen.

Buying special cleaners is a complete waste of money.

However if you're display is so dirty that you must use something stronger, that's a sign you're neglecting you're computer.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
An inexpensive microfiber cloth dampened with water, will do a perfect job of cleaning your screen. I keep one in my laptop bag. By using it daily, my display stays extremely clean. If you use this method there's no chance of stains, pits, or any damage to your screen.

However if you're display is so dirty that you must use something stronger, that's a sign you're neglecting you're computer.

Bold, This.

I find it totally nonsense to spend $10 or more just for a screen cleaner while much cheaper products do the job.
Water is not always able to clean screens, I used a glass cleaner since I got my first laptop and those products never damaged anything, you're likely to get more damage from handling the laptop in daily use than using a glass cleaner.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Some people swear that the ammonia in glass cleaner will damage tablet, smartphone and laptop displays, such as by stripping off the anti-glare coating. Any truth to that?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
A microfibre cloth with just a small spot of water on the cloth will do the trick.

Never use window cleaner, theres a chance it has ammonia in it which as other have said is very bad.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
With screens (and optics, like telescopes) people usually do *more* damage to their screens by cleaning them, then by just ignoring the dust.

Special cleaners used to be the norm, but now Apple says to *only* use water.

As people have suggested, just put a couple of drops on a clean cloth (like a microfiber cloth) and wipe it gently. Keep all liquids away from your keyboard!

Humidity and dust are a lousy combination. I have bought a Mosi iVisor for my MBA, after loving it for my iPad. If you clean your screen, I would suggest then immediately putting this on, and then you can wipe the iVisor and have no worries!

Moshi iVisor for 13" MBA Make sure you get the correct size!

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
An inexpensive microfiber cloth dampened with water, will do a perfect job of cleaning your screen.

I disagree on both statements you make here. Water is not enough to wipe away fingerprints. I try to avoid touching the screen, but it does happen, and water is not enough to clean my screen without smears. Also, you buy a rather expensive laptop, as compared to Windows running equivalents, and a cheap special cleaner bottle is going to break the bank?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I disagree on both statements you make here. Water is not enough to wipe away fingerprints. I try to avoid touching the screen, but it does happen, and water is not enough to clean my screen without smears. Also, you buy a rather expensive laptop, as compared to Windows running equivalents, and a cheap special cleaner bottle is going to break the bank?

agreed. there are oils in fingerprints and sometimes you're going to want something with a detergent in it. although if he is doing it every day then he's probably cleaner than the rest of is as it is.

my theory is that the majority of dirt gets on laptops from A- dirty fingers on the keys that get on the screen and B- sneezing.

the solution for both is to stop being such a filthy fecker ;)

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A microfibre cloth with just a small spot of water on the cloth will do the trick.

Never use window cleaner, theres a chance it has ammonia in it which as other have said is very bad.

I agree with this. Water on a nice clean cloth is plenty 95% of the time. Not paper towel, but actual cloth. Old t-shirts cut into strips work well for me.

If you're dealing with a few finger prints, water on a cloth and bit of elbow grease is enough. If you have some kind of super smudgy finger prints (like after eating fried chicken and waffles) then I would suggest mixing in a tiny drop of plain dawn dish soap into 16oz or water or so (in a sprayer preferably). Shake it up nice and spray that onto a cloth (not onto the screen). The dawn will dissolve and lift the oil. Too much dawn will result in too many bubbles and froth, which is a pain to clean up later. Less is more in this case.

Also, to your comment about buying an expensive laptop and then cheaping out on the special cleaner: It's exactly about the money. Macbooks, iPads, and iPhones come with the screen's treated with various special coatings. Using harsh chemicals to clean them will wear away those coatings. Rubbing alcohol and amonia in particular will certainly dissolve any coating that was applies to the glass/screen. I figure, if I paid for a laptop with a nice coating on the screen, I am not going to wipe it away with a questionable cleaning compound. I know that water will generally not damage the coating, so that is will I will use to maintain that which I paid for.

RedWings

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I use a clean microfiber cloth and distilled water for all of my computer/TV screens. No streaking. Spotless results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.