Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
We all want retina display, a faster chip, and an updated OS in the next iPad Mini, but what physical changes would you like to see on the next generation device? Presumably someone at Apple (Hi Apple person!) is reading this, so let them know what's on your wish list.

Here's a few that I came up with:

1. Smooth out the sharp edges. It's a gorgeous device...an absolute home run, but when I lean the Mini against my thumb and index finger it really leaves a mark. Anytime you have to shift something because of discomfort there's probably room for improvement.

2. Keep working at that fingerprint-less glass. The Mini is easy to clean and is leaps and bounds better than my iPad 1 when it comes to smudging, but it still could be improved upon.

Anyone else have some ideas on how to make the iPad Mini even better?

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
More RAM- I'd be thrilled if they put 2GB in there, but I expect Apple to keep it at the lousy 512MB, or a bump to 1GB.

I'd also like to see digitizer support– which of course, won't be there. It'd be great if I could open a writing app that only accepts input from the stylus. This would allow you to rest your palm on the screen for comfortable note taking without having to worry about the problems caused by errant palm input.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I know this thread is about physical changes, but knowing Apple, there won't be any.And I find it perfect (IMO).

What I see is an A6 or A6X to drive a retina display,1GB Ram and Retina display-and well I know atleast 6-7 people who would jump on it (me included :D).

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I know this thread is about physical changes, but knowing Apple, there won't be any.And I find it perfect (IMO).

What I see is an A6 or A6X to drive a retina display,1GB Ram and Retina display-and well I know atleast 6-7 people who would jump on it (me included :D).

I certainly would too. In fact, I would gladly have just the better processor and RAM. I want a mini but I had so much trouble with my iPad 2 due to low memory crashes I upgraded to to 3 just for the RAM bump. I doubt the mini (in it's current configuration) would serve me any better. So no RAM bump, no mini for me. Sigh.....

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I doubt the the 2nd gen mini will look any different than the current model, however the thickness might change if it gets a retina screen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The thickness changed for the full iPad by .03", which is essentially imperceptible. The iPhone actually got thinner when retina was added. I doubt the thickness for the mini will change significantly when Apple adds retina.

The iPhone got thinner because it wasn't a rectangle to begin with, the Mini is. The iPhone $ was thinner at the center, but thicker at the sides. There is no curved back to get rid of; so it will get thicker and heavier all the way across. How much so depends on what battery tech they employ.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I personally love the current design of the iPad Mini, and don't have any real complaints on what to change for the next revision. That being said, I agree with most here saying that the next generation Mini will very likely not have any design revisions.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Don't really have any design changes, but would like Apple to make the Smart Case for the mini. I have done the second best thing and put on a Coverbuddy back and Smart Cover front but still.

Oh yes, A6 and more ram please

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
iPads still don't need home buttons, but having it on the iPhone and not on the iPad would create confusion for the consumers, but it's still a dream.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
iPads still don't need home buttons, but having it on the iPhone and not on the iPad would create confusion for the consumers, but it's still a dream.
And what would replace the home button? If you're thinking a gesture (or gestures) on the display, I dislike this because if you hit the gesture wrong, you could do something in the active app that you didn't want to do.

A home button is easy to use, try explaining more gestures to older parents and grandparents.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
And what would replace the home button? If you're thinking a gesture (or gestures) on the display, I dislike this because if you hit the gesture wrong, you could do something in the active app that you didn't want to do.

A home button is easy to use, try explaining more gestures to older parents and grandparents.

Wasn't that hard to explain, depends on your student. My parents found it very east to understand how you an pinch a screen of photos with two fingers to slide them back to a stack. and if you use all five of them, like you are balling up a piece of paper, it goes back home.

I could see them moving it to the slide or even making it part of other buttons. Like to activate Siri there is a tap or you could press both volume buttons together. Screenshot might be power and the same or power and one volume (just like either volume in the camera app takes a photo) and so on.

Given that button failure for all of them seems to be a major problem they are likely going to do something to change them or have alternative ways of doing functions.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Wasn't that hard to explain, depends on your student. My parents found it very east to understand how you an pinch a screen of photos with two fingers to slide them back to a stack. and if you use all five of them, like you are balling up a piece of paper, it goes back home.

I could see them moving it to the slide or even making it part of other buttons. Like to activate Siri there is a tap or you could press both volume buttons together. Screenshot might be power and the same or power and one volume (just like either volume in the camera app takes a photo) and so on.

Given that button failure for all of them seems to be a major problem they are likely going to do something to change them or have alternative ways of doing functions.

I have had a series of app crashes where my five finger gesture doesn't work, but the home button does...

I'm all in for no home button, but then the gesture needs to be as efficient when apps crash

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Also in cell digitizer would actually be higher on my list than retina display.

If in cell means stylus points can be a finer tip then I'm all for that. To me the iPad mini display is fine as it is. It's not that far off retina anyway.why bulk it up, add stress to battery etc for a small change when there are other more functional changes that might be better to add first.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
i also want more ram the ipad 3 and 4 have 1 gig and the mini has 512
i would like to see 1 gig in the mini and 2 gigs in the ipad 5

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I have a mini (Which is going to be sold) and the only flaw I see with it is the screen quality. More RAM at the current time is not necessary nor is a better processor. Then again, I do not think I will ever buy another mini again since I do enjoy the iPad much more...

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
If in cell means stylus points can be a finer tip then I'm all for that. To me the iPad mini display is fine as it is. It's not that far off retina anyway.why bulk it up, add stress to battery etc for a small change when there are other more functional changes that might be better to add first.

In-cell will make it thinner and more responsive. Just about that. It may also improve the display quality.

ImpKali

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
It needs a volume rocker in the vein of the full size iPad, and all the buttons need to stand out a little bit more. I found the model I tried was a little uncomfortable to work with in that regard. Nothing deal-breaking, but I suppose I might notice it over time.

As for physical specs, I say give it the same processor that will be used in the next full iPad (A7? A7x?) and at least 1 GB of RAM. If the processor would not be possible, the processor in the current full size iPad would suffice (A6x). Also, a Retina display would be nice.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
It needs a volume rocker in the vein of the full size iPad, and all the buttons need to stand out a little bit more. I found the model I tried was a little uncomfortable to work with in that regard. Nothing deal-breaking, but I suppose I might notice it over time.

I agree with this. The buttons are just a little bit too recessed and on the curve of the casing. Not a huge deal, but could be improved. This is what I was after when I originally started the topic...design/usage elements that Apple might like to hear about.

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
What will probably happen-

RAM bumped up to 1 GB
Retina display added
A5X processor used
iPad similar to- 3rd generation

Currently, the iPad mini is like a small iPad 2. Next year, it will become a small 3rd generation iPad.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
What will probably happen-

RAM bumped up to 1 GB
Retina display added
A5X processor used
iPad similar to- 3rd generation

Currently, the iPad mini is like a small iPad 2. Next year, it will become a small 3rd generation iPad.

More likely A6X. I think Apple wants to forget about the 3rd gen iPad....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.