Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
QuickTime 6.0.2 Read Me
What's New:

QuickTime 6 delivers a host of new features that include:

* MPEG-4 ISO compliant file creation
* MPEG-4 video codec
* AAC audio codec
* Instant-On streaming
* Macromedia Flash 5
* An enhanced QuickTime Player interface
* QuickTime Picks, bringing you the best, up-to-date QuickTime content
* JPEG 2000 (Mac OS X Only)
* Enhanced AppleScript support (Macintosh Only)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Thats almost the same as the original QT6 read-me.

I'm not trying to nit-pick; but the update seems awfully minimal to me..

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Anyone have any more specifics? I only use QuickTime about once a week, not going to bother upgrading if it doesn't improve anything.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
his was already included in the Jaguar dev seed ages back wasn't it it or was this 6.0.1

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Taken from xlr8yourmac.com
QT 6.02 Update Notes (warnings) for FCP and DVD Studio Pro Users - In reply to the earlier problem report from a QT6.02 user:

" Hi Mike on the QT download page it says....
"Check system requirements and notes to QuickTime Pro and DVD Studio Pro users."
The link takes you to: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/system_req.html
which clearly states....

"Note to DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro Users:
DVD Studio Pro users and Final Cut Pro users should not update to QuickTime 6 via download at this time. Final Cut Pro version 3.0.2 and DVD Studio Pro version 1.5.1 are qualified for use with QuickTime 6 included in Mac OS X v10.2. "

As a note of caution to people making money with your mac (i.e. Film Editors). It's not worth the heartache to be an early bleeding edge adopter. When something like this is released, you must be diligent in finding out if it can corrupt your workflow. Let someone else do it first and read the results.

To recover his system, He will need to blank his system and reinstall 10.2 and then re-install FCP.
Jim Foreman
Senior Technical Advisor
Aurora Video Systems
http://www.auroravideosys.com "

Another reader replied:

" just in case
-----
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
"Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 has been qualified for use with QuickTime 6 included with Mac OS X v10.2.

Users running earlier versions of Mac OS X should continue to use QuickTime 5.x"
-----
Deinstall 6 - Reinstall 5 info
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120084

Nobody wants to hear this, but... I would advise NOT making any upgrades/etc. until your current projects are finished, because 'most' in-house tests are run under 'ideal' (current hardware/software) conditions, and fixes are provided 'down the road'.
;-) Anybody remember the path from X-Beta to 10.2 ? (-;
--curtis "

Good advice on not updating any critical workstation without waiting for reports and checking for any compatibilty notes. (The old if it ain't broke, don't fixit is also a good rule...) However I really think the installer Readme should have had the info on this in bold at the top of the text.
_
= 9 AM Update Follows =
__
Reader Report on QT 6.02 Update Problem with Linked Files (Update - see later news item above for warnings/notes on FCP/DVD Studio Pro)

A reader sent a note that the QT 6.02 update seemed to break linked files:

" Hi Mike,
It would appear that updating to Quicktime 6.02 with Mac OS 10.2 breaks QuickTime linked files. i.e 030/9-av-0, 030/9-av-1, 030/9-av-2
I'm editing a feature film, after the upgrade the few files that had been captured with the 2GB limited set in FCP now appear to be scrambled when you reach the linked part in the file. I have enclosed 2 screen grabs to show taken in the finder. The same thing seems to happen with the finder, QuickTime Player and FCP 3.0.2.

Unfortunately Apple's 'ReInstall QuickTime 5' will not work with 10.2 and 6.0.2!
PowerBook G4/400 1GB RAM/10GB HD, 3 X 75GB and 1 X 120GB LaCie FireWire HD's.

Maybe people should hold off updating until this can be confirmed.
Regards,
Charles T.
United Independent Pictures Ltd. "

If anyone else has seen this problem with QT 6.02 (or has a tip/suggestion), let me know.

Lots of issues with this small update, huh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.