Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
A few weeks ago, my Macbook Air's screen turned into a flickering mess of vertical lines, whited-out areas and fragmented pieces of the icons on my desktop. I brought it to my local Apple-licensed repair guy, who initially told me he would replace the video card. Unfortunately, my computer was briefly partially submerged in bathwater about a year ago and, according to him, there is visible water damage inside the computer, which voids my AppleCare and turns this into a 1000-dollar repair, including a replaced logic board.

Presently, my computer works just fine outside of the screen. I'm using it in clamshell mode as a desktop and I have no problems. Could the logic board really be damaged in a very specific way that affects the screen but not the displayport (and nothing else about the computer)? And more importantly, is there any way I can fix this myself for significantly less than 1000 bucks, or should I just use my computer as a desktop from now on?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Since there is no video "card" per se, a logic board replacement is the only way to fix the issue IF this is not something with the display. The fact that you CAN use your Air as a desktop, with fully-functioning external display, means that it's likely something with the LCD or its rather fragile connector on the logic board.

There's no easy way of determining which is the problem. You could order a complete display (LCD, wires, and connectors) and try hooking that up to the logic board. If it IS something with the logic board, however, the new LCD won't fix anything.

"Broken" Macs sell for pretty decent prices on eBay, especially if yours is fully functional except for the display. I would personally sell your laptop on eBay, take the loss, and use that money to buy a new one.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
How much would you charge for a 2-year-old Air in this condition?

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Bumping because I honestly have no idea what to charge. There are broken Macbooks on eBay but I can't compare my Macbook Air with a broken screen to a differently broken MacBook Air (plus I don't need to know how much people are charging, I need to know how much I can SELL it for, successfully).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Bumping because I honestly have no idea what to charge. There are broken Macbooks on eBay but I can't compare my Macbook Air with a broken screen to a differently broken MacBook Air (plus I don't need to know how much people are charging, I need to know how much I can SELL it for, successfully).

What I would do it put it up for auction on eBay with a low minimum (like $200 or so) and see what you get. If it is worth $500, the bids will be driven up to near $500 for example.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Is this a 2010 MBA with the NVidia 320m GPU? Just curious, I have heard of similar problems with the graphics with these processors, but Apple has never officially recognized this as a problem. Although, it doesn't matter if you had it submerged...

re: the eBay root...if you want to sell it, but aren't sure what it is worth, "let the market decide." As Weaselboy points out, start with a low minimum.

My advice: describe it as accurately as possible, and start it at $0.99...you will attract a bunch of people who will think they will get a bargain, and then as the price climbs, they won't want to give up on it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My advice: describe it as accurately as possible, and start it at $0.99...you will attract a bunch of people who will think they will get a bargain, and then as the price climbs, they won't want to give up on it.

Just saying: The people who see it at $0.99 and offer that or other ridiculously low prices are just trying it on; they are not going to be the ones that eventually end up buying.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Just saying: The people who see it at $0.99 and offer that or other ridiculously low prices are just trying it on; they are not going to be the ones that eventually end up buying.

Yeah, but they drive the price up anyway...the first bidders usually don't wind up winning anyway.

0bone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013

I have fallen for this little psychological trick before so I can attest that it works (at least on us easily manipulated types).

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Is this a 2010 MBA with the NVidia 320m GPU? Just curious, I have heard of similar problems with the graphics with these processors, but Apple has never officially recognized this as a problem.

320M had problems? I have two computers with this chip and purchased applecare for both. Never had even a single problem :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op I would replace the video/LCD cable and see if that solves the issue. It's a wee bit of a bugger to do but 9/10 it solves the issue. If however it dosnt then it's the LCD from the info you've given.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I have fallen for this little psychological trick before so I can attest that it works (at least on us easily manipulated types).

It's just human/nature, or "auction psychology." You just get sucked in, and you don't want to lose...ever notice how eBay is always playing up the "You WIN!" aspect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.