Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoinOP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Amsterdam
Hi everyone!

Has adhesive magnetic strips been discussed?

I've ordered the Imac 2.9 base model. As soon as it is in I'll bring it to a certified repair center to replace the HDD with a spare SSD from Samsung I have.

So for easy excess in the future I want them to apply magnetic strips.

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi everyone!

Has adhesive magnetic strips been discussed?

I've ordered the Imac 2.9 base model. As soon as it is in I'll bring it to a certified repair center to replace the HDD with a spare SSD from Samsung I have.

So for easy excess in the future I want them to apply magnetic strips.

The last I heard aluminum is not magnetic!

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Would you have the space to do this? The tape that holds the screen in place looks pretty thin.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If there's such a thing as magnetic tape that's as thin then it sounds like a great solution. I'm not sure how many times I'd need to be in and out of it, though.

CoinOP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Amsterdam
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If there's such a thing as magnetic tape that's as thin then it sounds like a great solution. I'm not sure how many times I'd need to be in and out of it, though.

Me neither, but I just don't want to spend 100/150€ just to open it by a certified repair centre....

tanker5

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
Thin magnets are probably not strong enough

The magnets used in the previous generation iMacs were very strong magnets. I suspect that one of the reasons Apple switched to an adhesive is that thinner magnets may not be strong enough to hold the display in place (also adhesive is cheaper and makes it more difficult for people to get in and service their own machines). Keep in mind you would have to make sure you line up the magnets properly to make sure the polarity of the magnets makes them attract to each other. Even though the tape is a pain, I suggest 3M VHB 4910 tape. It's expensive, (roughly $30 for a 5 yard x 1/2" roll on amazon), but it's the closest thing I could find to the adhesive Apple uses.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thinnest mag tape avalible atleast from a supplier I use is 1mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.