Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
I just got a tmobile iphone 5 and i want to know what it covers?

like if my phone gets run over by a car and is damaged beyond belief, will they give me a new one for $50?

what if i dropped it and crack the hell outta the screen and what not, will they give me a new one?

if i drop it in a pool and leave it in there for a week, will they give me a new one?

im going to go get it tomorrow if its worth it... ive never damaged phones really but i spent $615 on this so might as well protect my phone. i feel like a fool for spending that much but oh well

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

like if my phone gets run over by a car and is damaged beyond belief, will they give me a new one for $50?

what if i dropped it and crack the hell outta the screen and what not, will they give me a new one?

if i drop it in a pool and leave it in there for a week, will they give me a new one?

im going to go get it tomorrow if its worth it... ive never damaged phones really but i spent $615 on this so might as well protect my phone. i feel like a fool for spending that much but oh well
Applecare+ extends the standard warranty by one year.

You get two cases of accidental damage at $49 each. The second time you use the coverage for accidental damage Applecare+ ends, no matter how much time you have left.

Liquid damage, drops, cracked screens, etc. Theft and loss are not covered.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Applecare+ extends the standard warranty by one year.

You get two cases of accidental damage at $49 each. The second time you use the coverage for accidental damage Applecare+ ends, no matter how much time you have left.

Liquid damage, drops, cracked screens, etc. Theft and loss are not covered.

so after the 2nd use, you are left with 0 warranty period?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I believe you still get the standard year warranty (inside of the first year), but anything that would be accidental damage is going to be OoW ($229) after the second incident.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
After two replacements, you get the manufacturers warranty for the remainder of your two heat warranty period.

Something to pay attention to is that Apple is apparently rolling out on site repairs. Initially it will be minute things, such as batteries, but is supposed to evolve onto screens and logic boards. This will mean fewer "refurb exchanges". Not sure if people who are currently under apple care will be subject to this (depends on how terms are written and I've not read them to such detail), but future purchases surely will.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After two replacements, you get the manufacturers warranty for the remainder of your two heat warranty period.

Something to pay attention to is that Apple is apparently rolling out on site repairs. Initially it will be minute things, such as batteries, but is supposed to evolve onto screens and logic boards. This will mean fewer "refurb exchanges". Not sure if people who are currently under apple care will be subject to this (depends on how terms are written and I've not read them to such detail), but future purchases surely will.
I heard about that on MR yesterday. What worries me is jailbreaking. Say the device breaks while jailbroken. It's sufficiently damaged to prevent removing the jailbreak and wiping the device and ordinarily would be replaced by Apple. But with repair instead of replacement that means it's examined in store. I see some instances where the Apple genius comes back to you and hands you your damaged phone back, explaining to you how the warranty has been voided. I suspect that's one reason Apple has decided to do this. I may be wrong. I hope so.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I heard about that on MR yesterday. What worries me is jailbreaking. Say the device breaks while jailbroken. It's sufficiently damaged to prevent removing the jailbreak and wiping the device and ordinarily would be replaced by Apple. But with repair instead of replacement that means it's examined in store. I see some instances where the Apple genius comes back to you and hands you your damaged phone back, explaining to you how the warranty has been voided. I suspect that's one reason Apple has decided to do this. I may be wrong. I hope so.

Probably more depends on the problem. If its not directly related to the problem then it will likely be covered. For example if you drop and break a jailbroken iPhone the AppleCare+ should cover it.

You see that a lot in the automobile industry. If you soup up a car and the engine blows up the engine may not be covered. However if you soup up a car and the power windows stop working then its totally covered because they are totally unrelated to one another.

Where the line is drawn is the problem. If the logic board fails was it related to the jailbreak or not? Who determines this?

Regardless if you buy an iPhone then buy AppleCare+ its in Apples best interest to just fix it. No sense in losing a customer that's already paid you an arm and a leg.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

I got the insurance for T-Mobile a bit more coverage.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
I got the insurance for T-Mobile a bit more coverage.

meh, dont feel like paying $10+ a month plus bigger deductible.

only reason the tmobile warranty would be good is if its stolen but im usually good with my phone its just in case of damaging it.

anyways i got the applecare plus today so thanks guys!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
meh, dont feel like paying $10+ a month plus bigger deductible.

only reason the tmobile warranty would be good is if its stolen but im usually good with my phone its just in case of damaging it.

anyways i got the applecare plus today so thanks guys!

You can also look into adding it to homeowners or renters insurance, if you have it. I am sure numbers vary, but I've read numerous people mention $50-USB for the year, though not sure on a deductible.

Either way, that's the way to go I think. I know we insides the wife's wedding ring at $5k and its something like $24 for the year.

Just some food for thought. I actually went with AppleCare but probably will look into homeowner's on my next device.

alanamhb

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
5f1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.