Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
You really have to sift through a lot of Chinese garbage in the app store to find good stuff sometimes. So many "vendors" (loosely used) push out the same app under different names and different price points and graphics just to scam as many people as they can. Then there's just the stupid junk like this that is just throwing poo at the wall to see who'll buy it. The app store is like a giant trip to an asian bazar. As controlled as it appears to be, they sure let quite a bit of useless fluff get by.

It's because Apple is primarily interested in the control over their customers and not so much the "vendors".

Wubby

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I think I may know what's wrong.

Gifting stickers was always fine before. I had gifted a few sets to my wife and she to me. Before recently there wasn't this 'coin' system on the iOS version to send stickers (that I remember at least). I would just pay the exact amount and the sticker set would be sent.

Last week a new Iron Man 3 sticker set became available on Line. My wife knows I love IM so she gifted the set to me. But now it required her to buy coins in order to gift it. She went to buy the 200 coins it would cost (200yen) but she ended up buying 400 coins. It didn't bother her cause she buys stickers so she'll just save the extra for later but there seems to be a bug with the system.

I don't know if that is what the issue is or not though. I hope they can work it out and get the feature back on.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Great, just great.

So much for the virtual sex toy app I'd nearly finished.

I'm tellin' ya, it was gonna be HUGE!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
You really have to sift through a lot of Chinese garbage in the app store to find good stuff sometimes. So many "vendors" (loosely used) push out the same app under different names and different price points and graphics just to scam as many people as they can. Then there's just the stupid junk like this that is just throwing poo at the wall to see who'll buy it. The app store is like a giant trip to an asian bazar. As controlled as it appears to be, they sure let quite a bit of useless fluff get by.

Yeap so much "poo" on the wall that they made a ton of money with it :rolleyes: oh lets not forget the garbage that is free texting and free calls :rolleyes:

Guess you prefer the app store that is just full of to-do apps, reminders and note taking apps.

mnbinth

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
As others have said, this app is immensely popular in east Asia, particularly among the younger crowd

I work in a professional business environment in Bangkok and see it being used constantly by people of all ages.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Little kids spending their parents money. This is exactly designed to stop that.

except.. it doesn't. line accounts aren't part of apple system. you can still buy coins via other means and spend it.

but I applaud your positive apple spin effort. B+

This is Apple saying "we want our money.. b*****s". As an Apple shareholder, I say THAT'S RIGHT BABY!!

----------

But then Apple won't get their 30% cut. I want Apple to make more $, not less. :)

Thank you, it's bad enough I hate in-app purchases. If it were up to me I would take away all in-app purchases. I want to be charged up front for everything so there are no hidden "gems" to discover along the way....and a virtual sticker for $1.99? Are they serious?? There are some nice apps on the App Store with $1.99. :D

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Sounds like Apple didn't like the idea of App's creating and using their own virtual currency.

I think that's really it... and what do they need virtual currency for? What can you just buy the sticker and send it? THat's the shady part... you have to buy currency as in app purchase, and then use to to buy the sticker.

I think Apple's stance is if people don't use that currency up, they lose their money. I think they would just need to remove that extra step cause it is stupid.... like Microsofts xbox points.... why points? Why not jsut say "this is $3, pay us $3"

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Line App (chat, picture, card, games) are very popular in Asia. They made tons of money from it. They sell 'emotion' product and not 'sticker'... it might be hard for American to understand..

Hi, I just read your reply. Thanks for the explanation without putting any kind of bias in your response. Appreciated.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This app is extremely popular among Asian girls mostly because of the cute emoticons. They call it "stickers" because it's sold as a pack containing emoticons of the same theme or genre just like a sheet of stickers.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Who the hell would pay to send a virtual sticker?
8.5 million people apparently.

This has me seriously thinking I should invest some time to learn how to make an iOS app. Target audience - teenage girls.

badams002

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
TX
You don't have to understand the craze. You just have to be able to sell it. I don't understand Psy (Gangnam Style), the Cooper (is that really a car), or skinny jeans for men, but I can sell them.

I would like to know the whole story. Did Apple try to advise LINE to change something before they had to remove the stickers altogether? Though we do not have the ENTIRE back story, there are enough facts to draw the conclusion that this is "strongarming".
1. Removal of cross-platform functionality.
2. The purchase portion of the application was the catalyst.
3. Apple is actively going after apps, right now, that they perceive as a threat to the App Store.

I would not be surprised if Apple is not upset at the in-app purchases, rather they are not getting their proper cut.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I think that's really it... and what do they need virtual currency for? What can you just buy the sticker and send it? THat's the shady part... you have to buy currency as in app purchase, and then use to to buy the sticker.

I think Apple's stance is if people don't use that currency up, they lose their money. I think they would just need to remove that extra step cause it is stupid.... like Microsofts xbox points.... why points? Why not jsut say "this is $3, pay us $3"

With LINE you can use the coins on any plataform, if you move to another OS no problem and thats really good for the consumer but not for apple i guess ? Regarding microsoft i think you can pay directly with money and not only with "points"

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
I'm guessing the problem is the "coins" that were being purchased, and then used to later purchase the stickers and gift them. This could be a revenue recognition issue for Apple. Selling the coins is when Apple gets paid, but the actual service (stickers gifts) that occurs later is when the revenue probably (read conservatively) needs to be accounted for tax wise. So Apple was taking 30% for a currency conversion to coins and then not recognizing revenue on the actual purchase of the gift packs. If this were a gift card, the revenue recognition would be delayed until the card is used for a more clear example.

We will see if they will just do away with the coins and sell gift sticker packs without any problems.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Wow. So many people don't read the article. It's the gifting of stickers via in app purchase of coins that's causing the big issue. Not the stickers itself. If you want to buy or give stickers, just do it via real currency. Why do you have to buy coins then exchange coins for stickers? That's convoluted!

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Not the app maker's fault.

Irrelevant. Apple bears the complaints, so they will do what they feel is reasonable to mitigate them.

People have to be retarded to pay money for something sooo irrelevant.

True, but that's not the issue here. Everyone of us has spent money on something someone else would consider "retarded."

However, it did sound like those coins were being purchased in-app originally, so Apple would still be making money off of that.

True, but the getting stickers from someone else can change the economics of it. You could for example, pay a friend in real money to give you a sticker. The friend might have gotten the sticker from someone else who "earned it" another way, without the purchase of coins. It also lets the dev change the price at any time. The dev could change the price to something 100x what it is now, or 100x cheaper at any time. It could be used to rip people off, or to reduce Apple's revenue cut. E.g. a one sale of a bajillion coins for a $1 IAP. Someone could then buy a bajillion coins and then charge friends for them, cutting Apple out of the equation for all but 30 cents.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Plenty of games use coins or some other specialized in-game currency that you can potentially earn or purchase in-app using real money, and this doesn't really seem any different that that, at least in that respect.

chkenwing

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
It's so popular here in Hong Kong as well, that they've even started "Line" promotions are the Circle K-Mart convenience stores.

Spend $xx amount, get a sticker, collect stickers, get a Line-related gift (from plushes to other various tack).

Only thing I do like about Line is that my friends and I can send larger and longer videos that Whatsapp does not allow (which is only 45 seconds)

xbeatz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I don't care but removing it are known to reducing one of my fav functions Bad Apple!

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
Like Thunderbolt peripherals?

Thunderbolt peripherals are not useless. I have a Matrox MXO-2 NLE breakout box that leverages Thunderbolt to stream SDI and many HD formats in real time, daisy chain a thunderbolt raid array and you have yourself an amazing video editing setup.
Check out Adobe's Premiere pro demos with Thunderbolt and see the possibilities.

chadbag

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
the cross platformness of coins

As someone mentioned in a previous reply, I would bet the issue is using the in-app "coins" when you can buy the coins on a different platform but spend them on the iOS version of the app. Apple is not getting the 30% of the transaction when you buy the "coins" on Android or elsewhere.

My wife is from Japan. We live in the US but she uses Line regularly to communicate with her mother and sisters in Japan. They only use the messaging part -- not the calls. They use Facetime for calls right now. But if you look at their messaging screen, stickers are used a lot in their conversations. My wife only uses the free stickers, and no one had gifted her any and she has not gifted anyone any stickers, so this does not affect us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.