Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I was watching a Chrome commercial yesterday and noticed how "Flat" their logo is. I remembered the old logo was more 3D-like and the new logo is very "Flat"

I think we will see something similar with the icons in iOS 7... just my two-cents.

Napkin 05-12-13 11.51.02 PM.png

isarat

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Too much hype on Flat design

I feel the rumor mills are in a real-bad state. I am sure, there's something coming with iOS7 and could be more towards a UX change with iOS. True or not, but almost everyone behind a flat-design rumors.

What people miss talking about are

- What it takes for a new UX for iOS?
- What about widgets, better notifications and other interactive components to streamline the user experience?
- What else other than flat?

iOS users never demanded for a flat UI, rather they're asking for a change but that doesn't mean that Apple has to pull an Android or WP. We need to hear some sensible rumors on this.

Apple is skeuomorphic design champion which helped to shape their products for all these years. THe culture and the taste they brought in wll not be easily trashed just for the sake of bringing in a flat UI. May be another new culture from Apple but I am sure they won't be ready to leave the taste.

Now take the flat thing for granted. What else?

perspectivebass

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
I'm getting pretty tiered of Flat VS Skeumorphism...

Flat design is not an approach nor a "style". Its a trend, and with every design trend it dies and gets a place in the pocket of great designer.

Design is about thinking of solutions for a problem. If "flat" design is the solution then use flat design, If skeumorphism is the best solution use Skeumorphism. Fact is that everything has skeumorphism. it starts with the terms like web PAGES it isn't a real page so the its referring to a real life example so only the term is already skeumorphism. The same counts for buttons the button isn't necessary for the function, but we do it to make things clearer and make people understand how it should be used.

So to ay skeumorphism is bad just doesn't make sense. So get over it embrace the fact there will always be skeumorphism and that flat design isn't the solution for iOS.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I wouldn't mind icons like this...

ios-flat-icons-preview_1x.png

Don't think it will happen though as it would mean devs would need to change their icons for a more consistent look.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm getting pretty tiered of Flat VS Skeumorphism...

Flat design is not an approach nor a "style". Its a trend, and with every design trend it dies and gets a place in the pocket of great designer.

Design is about thinking of solutions for a problem. If "flat" design is the solution then use flat design, If skeumorphism is the best solution use Skeumorphism. Fact is that everything has skeumorphism. it starts with the terms like web PAGES it isn't a real page so the its referring to a real life example so only the term is already skeumorphism. The same counts for buttons the button isn't necessary for the function, but we do it to make things clearer and make people understand how it should be used.

So to ay skeumorphism is bad just doesn't make sense. So get over it embrace the fact there will always be skeumorphism and that flat design isn't the solution for iOS.

It isn't about flat vs skeuomorphism, it's about ugly vs not ugly. And a lot of iOS is ugly right now. Some of that is attributable to skeuomorphism on steroids. Most likely that will get toned down or removed in iOS 7. Who knows maybe Apple will create a new trend that has the right mix of flat vs non flat; will take the best of what iOS has and the best from Windows and Android.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
If 'flat' means a more uniform design then great. It's one thing I think Windows Phone nails quite well. Skeumorphism can take it's place in history now.

2 cents.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Scott Forstall and Steve Jobs loved Skeumorphism, but since neither are at Apple anymore and with Jony Ive taking control of human interface design for iOS, we will start to see his influences. Whether it is a flat design, or something completely different, time will tell.

But if Apple's history is to go by, these changes are more than likely to be subtle and on going. Or to the least, not like Windows 7 to Windows 8.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Why does everyone think that flat = metro? I sure that what they mean by flat is just the removal of skeuomorphic design elements with a slight new design language (think the current App store and music apps). iOS features dont usually get leaked, the only feature i think that got leaked from iOS is maps for iOS 6. I highly doubt there will be widgets but im sure there will be new feature that are similar.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

Don't think it will happen though as it would mean devs would need to change their icons for a more consistent look.

I don't see why not; developers all had to transition to revised dimensions of the iPhone 5. It wouldn't be a dramatic shift to flatten their icon (if not the entire app). At some point, peer pressure would force most of the big-name app developers to follow Apple's lead (nobody wants to be the last hold-out on shiny/bubbly styling).

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
It isn't about flat vs skeuomorphism, it's about ugly vs not ugly. And a lot of iOS is ugly right now. Some of that is attributable to skeuomorphism on steroids. Most likely that will get toned down or removed in iOS 7. Who knows maybe Apple will create a new trend that has the right mix of flat vs non flat; will take the best of what iOS has and the best from Windows and Android.

It's true. If you only had stock apps it would be fine, but some developers go overboard on their icons which really makes your screen look terrible. Also, some people just tend to use really tacky/****** wallpapers, which makes things worse as well.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The lack of good design in iOS (and especially Apple apps) has nothing to do with the icons or skeumorphism. You can change the Apple Weather app icon all you want but the app design is still terrible. Hopefully iOS 7 is going to bring a more functional design regardless of what textures are being used.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Why does everyone think that flat = metro? I sure that what they mean by flat is just the removal of skeuomorphic design elements with a slight new design language (think the current App store and music apps). iOS features dont usually get leaked, the only feature i think that got leaked from iOS is maps for iOS 6. I highly doubt there will be widgets but im sure there will be new feature that are similar.

Some reports have used the words "Windows Phone" or "Metro" in their article title. It's not surprising that people are making the comparisons.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Would love to see a full refresh of all the stock iOS icons in this sort of style. Would look so much better in my opinion!

Follow the icons up with the same type of interface inside the apps, I would be impressed.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark

Actually, I think Apple could just remove the gloss from the icon they put on. Most developers uploads a "flat" icon, and lets Apple do the gloss (unless they mark the icon as precomposed - and the ones who does that, usually have a precomposed FLAT icon - like Facebook, Google Maps etc.).

So I don't think it would be THAT bad.

Looking so much forward to Ive's iOS.... IveOS :cool:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
@ the comment about web "pages", websites tend to be very fluid these days, I doubt the page thing applies anymore.

I do prefer the static navigation to the javascript mess that we're getting these days though.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Gee, thanks for yet another thread.

As said before, most dev's already have flat designs. It's Apple who is behind the design curve, and none of their apps have a cohesive feel to them.

shadowlawless

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Flat design =

Am i the only one thinking that "flat design" might mean

Remove all colour and shading
remove features that people really liked
replace with "IOS Mission control"
make very little effort to innovate or actually make some new applications.

Naturally i could be wrong but been real p****d off with apple lately, they used to be ahead of the game. there last few updates (thats including OS x) have either been boring or actually bad.

p.s.

if your wondering what i mean

Apple Maps, expose, spaces, save/duplicate, full screen apps disabling your other monitor, heavily advertised features only available in very newest MacBooks and bugs bugs bugs

----------

The lack of good design in iOS (and especially Apple apps) has nothing to do with the icons or skeumorphism. You can change the Apple Weather app icon all you want but the app design is still terrible. Hopefully iOS 7 is going to bring a more functional design regardless of what textures are being used.

was wondering when someone was gonna point this out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.