Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Looks like a computer museum.

:p
Maybe a little. :cool:

comp_IMGP3260.jpg

Computerspielemuseum - Berlin

Last edited:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
OK, I may be a bit biased but I've been lucky enough to visit quite a few of the Apple flagship stores around the world, and I still think my favourites are in London - Regent Street for the external architecture and Covent Garden for what it's like inside.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Unless you make your way to that 1 - 3 stores in the entire country, the majority of people are only going to see an Apple store as a store in a mall.

Ah, right. Not all Americans can live near nice stores like New York, or Philadelphia. There's no way for everyone to experience these amazing U.S. stores in person:

appl1.jpg

appl2.jpg

Good point.

We should be more like Germany where they make 100% of their citizens live near the Apple store in Berlin. All those other German cities are empty now...just ghost towns...since all Germans moved to Berlin last year to be near that Apple store. You're right. That is a better idea. I'm not sure why we don't do it here.

See this boring old German Apple store in a German mall?

appl3.jpg

Rhein Center, Rhein Center Köln-Weiden

Look how it's empty. That's because no one visits malls in Germany anymore since all Germans moved to Berlin. Thank goodness for that.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
That's because no one visits malls in Germany anymore since all Germans moved to Berlin.
True. But that's not the reason why not all Americans can live near nice stores.
When your city has great architecture to offer, Apple will rent it.

portadiroma_hero.jpg

Roma, the eternal city.

viaroma_hero.jpg

Torino, 4th largest city of Italy.

viarizzoli_hero.jpg

Bologna, only the 7th largest city, still a very nice store.

Apple will take the very best that is available in each location at that moment.
Or just build their own stuff without any ornaments of local culture.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I do wish there was a little more uniqueness about each store. Inside they all look exactly the same. Would be nice if maybe they allowed each store some leeway to reflect the local culture.

----------

Why doesn't America get such beautiful stores???

I thought the vogue in America was to knock down old buildings and build new rather then restore and convert. That's why so many Apple stores around Europe look so nice. Apple have simply restored the building to it's former beauty.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Hmm...

Picture of the Berlin store in the OP...

Apple store, Arden Fair Mall, Sacramento:
ardenfair_hero.jpg

Apple Store, Forum Shoppes at Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas:
theforumshops_hero.jpg

Even in places that should be nice, they really aren't. So far in the towns I've traveled to or lived in, the Grove in Los Angeles was the only store that had somewhat of a "wow" factor, and barely at that. So the question stands. Why can't the stores in the US look as elegant as Berlin? We all don't have a Grand Central Station..

BL.

Got any ancient buildings in your area? Maybe that's why!

To be realistic though, the inside looks just like every other Apple Store.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Got any ancient buildings in your area? Maybe that's why!

To be realistic though, the inside looks just like every other Apple Store.

In fact, yes.

Sutter's Fort, around the area where gold was discovered in 1848, that started the entire gold rush.

Old Sacramento, which was the railyards and the original town of Sacramento, with cobblestone streets, still exists. Wouldn't be a bad place for a store.

Vegas, unfortunately, doesn't have much original left. They take pride in selling tickets to see places get blown up. Either way, 3 Apple stores on the same street says a lot; just that they could quite a bit more elaborate than the drab layout typical Apple stores have.

BL.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Las Vegas? Sacramento?

Don't compare a mall store to a flagship store. Flagship stores are in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Beijing, Boston, Chicago, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Montreal, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo and Turin; and now, Berlin.

I look forward to the day that Apple rents out the White House or Capitol Hill or maybe even just the Smithsonian for a flagship store in D.C. ...

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
In fact, yes.

Sutter's Fort, around the area where gold was discovered in 1848, that started the entire gold rush.

Old Sacramento, which was the railyards and the original town of Sacramento, with cobblestone streets, still exists. Wouldn't be a bad place for a store.

Vegas, unfortunately, doesn't have much original left. They take pride in selling tickets to see places get blown up. Either way, 3 Apple stores on the same street says a lot; just that they could quite a bit more elaborate than the drab layout typical Apple stores have.

BL.

Hmmm.. I just Googled those places mentioned and they don't seem very... populated. But then again, I don't live there, so I wouldn't know.

There are a couple stores 10 miles from where I live -- in fact, four stores (and I have tried applying to all of them :p ) the best one I've seen is the one at Clarendon (VA) but even that one is eclipsed by the giant Barnes and Noble building next door (although the buildings behind the Apple Store make a nice backdrop).

Maybe Apple will buy out that Barnes and Noble building... :)

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Wow, this is beautiful.

I'm sure the rent is costing them a pretty penny.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
...Also, in America prime real estate is not wasted. Every inch is used to maximum efficiency.

You're kidding right? Here in United States, we are the most wasteful country that I have ever lived in. How about those hundreds of millions of dollars of wasted government buildings that lay empty in and around Washington DC elsewhere. Or, if we get tired of looking at a building we simply destroy it and build a new one as they do in Las Vegas. In Europe some of the bridges that were built in the 13th 14th century are still used with heavy vehicle traffic - without compromise.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You actually make my point for me.

Unless you make your way to that 1 - 3 stores in the entire country, the majority of people are only going to see an Apple store as a store in a mall. It is on that premise alone that the original question was asked: why some places get beautifully constructed stores, while most to all places in the US look like mall shops.

There are places in the US that would scream for something as elaborate as this, but instead get a mall shop, flagship store or otherwise.

BL.

Apple is incredibly picky about their retail space. It seems to go one of two ways for Apple:

1. Amazing space opens up, Apple swoops in
  2. No amazing space? Stick it in that mall over there.

Even here in Seattle, the rumors point to an eventual downtown store. The problem? The right spot hasn't opened up.

100 year old theatre buildings don't become available everyday you know.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
This is my "local" store. Have to drive about 2 hours to get to it though.

Still wish apple would open a store closer to where I live

Attachments

• thesummit_hero.jpg
    thesummit_hero.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 143
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.