Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.
It appears that Apple can now help us with access to our data. Capturing it and putting it on a USB for those who want it, is a feature that is no long unique to just the thieves.

Here's an article that explains how Apple can also access our data for us, or those officials that want it. Pretty neat.

http://www.examiner.com/article/apple-can-and-will-bypass-your-password-if-necessary?cid=rss

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It appears that Apple can now help us with access to our data. Capturing it and putting it on a USB for those who want it, is a feature that is no long unique to just the thieves.

Here's an article that explains how Apple can also access our data for us, or those officials that want it. Pretty neat.

http://www.examiner.com/article/apple-can-and-will-bypass-your-password-if-necessary?cid=rss

Sorry, but this has been discussed to death on MacRumors and slashdot.org as well, with some very informative posts (plus the usual garbage), and the blogger that you are quoting is an absolutely clueless **** who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. He doesn't explain anything, he has read articles that were published elsewhere and his "explanation" is just an incorrect interpretation of what is actually happening.

Fact is: If you protect your data with a four digit passcode, then it isn't safe if law enforcement agencies want it.

But in order to get to your data, they'll need to first confiscate your phone, second get a search warrant that allows them to get the data on your phone (most definitely needed; even in case of an arrest where the police is allowed to search you _and_ open your belongings and look inside they are not allowed to look at data on your phone anymore according to recent court decisions, which lead to a conviction for 50 years jail being overturned), and with a search warrant in place, you can't complain that they perform a search.

However, even Apple, even in possession of your phone, cannot just access your data: They have to try out every possible passcode that you might have used. Which is simple for four digit passcodes (10,000 possible codes), but if you use a strong password, like eight truly random digits and characters, it is impossible to crack. It is made harder by the fact that the iOS device itself is part of the encryption, so they cannot employ some supercomputer to try out all the keys, but it must be done on the iOS device itself. And as an anti-hacker measure, the encryption method is designed so that trying any key takes about a tenth of a second.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
It seems they stepped back or something.
On Friday I requested the activation of this 2-step verification and got 3 day waiting period and now I see that the 2-step verification option disappeared :eek:

Last edited:

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
On Friday I requested the activation of this 2-step verification and got 3 day waiting period and now I see that the 2-step verification option disappeared :eek:
same here :mad:

arturoimaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009

SAme in Mexico, I enabled it, got the email and waited 3 days and nothing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.