Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Absolutely amazing. No other words to describe it...

Actually there is. Regardless of if this guy is married or not, he's gettin' some when he gets back to Earth! :p

Seriously, truly an amazing performance. Just watch and enjoy.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Awesome video, unrelated, those russian capsules seem to land hard.:eek:

I was thinking that too, especially after seeing how smooth the STS landings were smooth in rolling out on 16000ft of runway.

Once we get our economy back in shape, we need to update that design and get those back up in the sky.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Here's what the AP had to say:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=183601928

Astronaut Exits Space Station With Music Video

by The Associated Press
May 13, 2013 5:13 PM

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — In a high-flying, perfectly pitched first, an astronaut on the International Space Station is bowing out of orbit with a musical video: his own custom version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."

It's believed to be the first music video made in space, according to NASA.

Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield's personalized rendition of "Space Oddity" was posted on YouTube on Sunday, one day before his departure from the orbiting lab. He's wrapping up a five-month mission that began last December.

His return aboard a Russian Soyuz capsule, along with American Thomas Marshburn and Russian Roman Romanenko, was set for late Monday in Kazakhstan.

Hadfield, 53, a longtime guitarist who played in an astronaut rock 'n' roll band, recorded the video throughout the space station. He had some down-to-Earth help from a Canadian music team.

"With deference to the genius of David Bowie, here's Space Oddity, recorded on Station. A last glimpse of the World," Hadfield said via Twitter.

The spaceman altered some of the lyrics of Bowie's 1969 version, singing "Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing left to do." The Bowie version goes "... and there's nothing I can do." And instead of "Take your protein pills and put your helmet on," it became, "Lock your Soyuz hatch and put your helmet on."

Planet Earth provided a stunning backdrop for many of the scenes.

"It's just been an extremely fulfilling and amazing experience end to end," Hadfield told Mission Control on Monday. "We're, of course, focusing very much on flying the Soyuz home now and looking forward to seeing everybody face to face. But from this Canadian to all the rest of them, I offer an enormous debt of thanks." He was referring to all those in the Canadian Space Agency who helped make his flight possible.

Hadfield, an engineer and former test pilot from Milton, Ontario, was Canada's first professional astronaut to live aboard the space station and became the first Canadian in charge of a spacecraft. He relinquished command of the space station on Sunday.

He sang often in orbit, using a guitar already aboard the complex, and even took part in a live, Canadian coast-to-coast concert in February that included the Barenaked Ladies' Ed Robertson and a youth choir, and featured the song I.S.S., "Is Somebody Singing?"

I.S.S. is NASA's acronym for the International Space Station.

Also last February, Hadfield joined the Irish band The Chieftains and two ground-bound astronauts in a Houston concert, singing the lead on "Moondance."

The five-minute video posted Sunday drew a salute from Bowie's official Facebook page: "It's possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created."

NASA broadcast the video on its daily space station update late Monday morning.

One of the video collaborators was piano arranger Emm Gryner, part of the Bowie band in 1999 and 2000.

"Planet Earth IS blue," she said in her online blog, "and there's nothing left for Chris Hadfield to do. Right. Safe travels home Commander!"

Props to Bowie for lauding this guy after finding out what he did.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Ya it would have been bad press for him to demand it be take down for copyright infringement.:p

He couldn't, nor could the RIAA. Space isn't pursuant to the Berne Convention, and the DMCA only applies to Earth and a rather small part of it. ;)

BL.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ya it would have been bad press for him to demand it be take down for copyright infringement.:p

He couldn't, nor could the RIAA. Space isn't pursuant to the Berne Convention, and the DMCA only applies to Earth and a rather small part of it. ;)

BL.

He's an upstanding Canadian... I'd bet money that he paid the royalties due.

Hadfield for GG, eh!

----------

Absolutely amazing. No other words to describe it...

Actually there is. Regardless of if this guy is married or not, he's gettin' some when he gets back to Earth! :p

Seriously, truly an amazing performance. Just watch and enjoy.

YouTube: video

BL.

Thanks for posting this....

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
At first I only saw snippets of this on Today, and I thought it was an awfully morbid idea. I mean, the original song is about an astronaut dying in space. Then I found out he changed the lyrics.

Better. :D

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
At first I only saw snippets of this on Today, and I thought it was an awfully morbid idea. I mean, the original song is about an astronaut dying in space. Then I found out he changed the lyrics.

Better. :D

I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. It then occurred to me that the reentry is a risky thing. His choice of song may have been influenced by that too.

====

For anyone who watched the reentry coverage, right to the end, you may have noticed that Hadfield was the last to come out and that there was a lengthy delay before he was extricated. I understand it is because he barricaded himself inside demanding that they "Just shoot this puppy back up, eh! I'm not coming out until I'm back into orbit!" If you watched the footage you can actually see a couple of Russian technicians outside the closed capsule hatch, waiting patiently. It was the CSA technicians who finally got him out with the promise of cold beer, and an update on the Leafs vs Bruins game. Though, they lied about the game since he was still in weakened state after the reentry.

====

Marc Garneau, Canada's first astronaut, recalled last night that when he got back it was a shower he wanted badly. So he took his beer into the shower. I'm not making this up.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Earlier in 2013, Cmdr. Chris Hadfield talked about playing (the Larrivée Parlor) guitar and making digital recordings aboard the space station...

RE: Copyright and Permission Issues...

According to The Independent Hadfield received permission from Bowie to cover the song...

Commander Hadfield had already sought Bowie’s permission to use the song. “We’ve been working on it for about six months,” the astronaut’s son and media manager, Evan Hadfield, told The Independent. “It was planned before the mission began and fleshed out as we realised what was possible.”

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Interesting to note:

The video was edited by his son.. but was mainly put together and recorded using GarageBand on his iPad.

I'm betting that Apple's marketing teams are sporting some major woodies on how to spin this into sales.

EDIT: From that Independent article:

Commander Hadfield was due to land in Kazakhstan early this morning. He will emerge from his capsule as the most famous astronaut for a generation. Next up: Life on Mars? In a Q&A last month Commander Hadfield said his dream was now to visit the red planet. Bowie has already provided the soundtrack.

That made me laugh.

BL.

Last edited:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Interesting to note:

The video was edited by his son.. but was mainly put together and recorded using GarageBand on his iPad.

I'm betting that Apple's marketing teams are sporting some major woodies on how to spin this into sales.

EDIT: From that Independent article:

That made me laugh.

BL.

Err, how would it be possible to "film and edit" video in Garageband for iPad? Sure, Garageband can do audio but I don't believe the iPad version of Garageband has any sort of video editing/recording ability, does it?

EDITED TO ADD:

via: https://twitter.com/Evan_Hadfield

Evan Hadfield ‏@Evan_Hadfield 1h
@DrCrypt Hi - just sent off an email but wanted to let you know that your article about Dad's video is completely incorrect, factually.

Evan Hadfield ‏@Evan_Hadfield 1h
@DrCrypt He did not film and edit the video on his iPad, and I'm not sure where you would have got that idea. It was edited on Earth.

/END EDIT

The video credits (see image below) at the end of the video outlines how the video was created and in the video I posted earlier Hadfield talks about using Cakewalk (a Windows based DAW) and Shure mics and a video camera.

Attachments

• credits.jpg
    credits.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Terrific video, wonderful idea, and amazing execution. This was a rare moment of music, moment and setting coming together perfectly. Sheer class. Well done, one and all. :D

Edit: Just checked the video of Commander Hadfield's version 'Space Oddity' on YouTube. It seems that there have been well over 12 million hits so far. Wow.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Reviving Col. Hadfield's work..

He just did an interview with Terry Gross on today's edition of Fresh Air. A very pleasant, and wonderful person to talk to. I didn't realize how much of a burden he carried on his shoulders, in being one of the people at Mission Control who could have objected to Columbia's re-entry, and possibly saving their lives.

I also felt fortunate to not ever have seen the Aurora Borealis, but have seen the Aurora Australis, and was amazed by those lights. But to be able to see them as he had would have been amazing.

This is someone I would definitely look to for mentoring, and look forward to reading his book. But definitely an interview you should read or listen to. This guy made being an astronaut cool again.

BL.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

He just did an interview with Terry Gross on today's edition of Fresh Air. A very pleasant, and wonderful person to talk to. I didn't realize how much of a burden he carried on his shoulders, in being one of the people at Mission Control who could have objected to Columbia's re-entry, and possibly saving their lives.

I also felt fortunate to not ever have seen the Aurora Borealis, but have seen the Aurora Australis, and was amazed by those lights. But to be able to see them as he had would have been amazing.

This is someone I would definitely look to for mentoring, and look forward to reading his book. But definitely an interview you should read or listen to. This guy made being an astronaut cool again.

BL.
Not to derail but how could they have saved the Colombia crew? Their only option was a rescue mission that has never been attempted.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

BL.

He gave a terrific interview to the Observer newspaper (the oldest, extant, Sunday newspaper in the world, one which has been continuously published since 1790; nowadays, it is the sister paper of the Guardian) last Sunday 27.10.

A very impressive, rounded, thoughtful, incredibly qualified yet modest, level headed chap, one who has made scientific stuff more accessible, (always hugely welcome) and who, in himself, is an incredible role model.

Not to derail but how could they have saved the Colombia crew? Their only option was a rescue mission that has never been attempted.

Indeed.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

I don't think it was the rescue mission that would have been the problem, as they could have readied another shuttle to send up..

But the way I heard the interview, it was a group decision on whether to attempt re-entry, knowing the problem that they had, and one objection to it would have been enough to not attempt it at all. He was thinking of objecting and with good reason, but decided to agree and attempt re-entry. It was one of his decisions that lead to the loss of Columbia.

I believe I have that right. The interview comes on again on my local NPR station in an hour, so I'll have another listen.

BL.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't think it was the rescue mission that would have been the problem, as they could have readied another shuttle to send up..

But the way I heard the interview, it was a group decision on whether to attempt re-entry, knowing the problem that they had, and one objection to it would have been enough to not attempt it at all. He was thinking of objecting and with good reason, but decided to agree and attempt re-entry. It was one of his decisions that lead to the loss of Columbia.

I believe I have that right. The interview comes on again on my local NPR station in an hour, so I'll have another listen.

BL.
If I remember correctly Colombia was not equipped with a hatch to the ISS so how could they dock another shuttle? I don't think they had a way to connect.

So I guess their only option for a deorbit would be a spacewalk to Atlantis.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Since this thread has been revived (and thank you!)…

Hadfield announced on this twitter account that he is running a Hallowe'en costume contest (with prizes). The news story on CBC is here. I've attached what I hope ends up the winner. When you scan the photos you might notice a certain facial hair feature crops up over and again… ;)

Attachments

• BXlqlZqCcAAjiGy.jpg
    BXlqlZqCcAAjiGy.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 109

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Since this thread has been revived (and thank you!)…

Hadfield announced on this twitter account that he is running a Hallowe'en costume contest (with prizes). The news story on CBC is here. I've attached what I hope ends up the winner. When you scan the photos you might notice a certain facial hair feature crops up over and again… ;)

Pretty good costume!

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.