Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkyMarc91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2013
Can we expect the 6th Generation iPod Touch to be released in 2013? There hasn't been much hype for it, at least not from what I've seen. I sure hope it is released this year, it could be considering Apple' pattern..

1st Gen. iTouch - Released Sept. 5, 2007
2nd Gen. iTouch - Released Sept. 9, 2008
3rd Gen. iTouch - Released Sept. 9, 2009
4th Gen. iTouch - Released Sept. 1, 2010
5th Gen. iTouch - Released Sept. 12, 2012

Have there been any rumors for a new iTouch?? The main focus seems to be the iPhone and iPads.

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My best guess is maybe. It depends on what this years iPhone has for improvements. There have been no rumors this year that I recall. Then again, last year there weren't many rumors around the 5th gen iPod Touch.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Most likely not. They need to stop selling the 4th gen though. It's hardware is just recycled 3gs internals with the name A4 slapped on. Selling 4 year old hardware is a crime with how fast things are moving. And it's a laggy mess with iOS 6

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
There could be an iPod touch 6th gen, I actually was in contact with Phil Schiller of Apple, and I complained about the missing Ambient Light Sensor, and Battery Percentage not being present and I think he might reconsider these things for the next iPod touch, or release a minimal update to the 5th gen including these fixes. I do think the iPod touch should be on the same release schedule as the iPad mini though, due to the fact that both have similar specs, but the iPad mini also lacks some things the iPod touch has now, like a camera flash.

elliwhi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2011
UK
There could be an iPod touch 6th gen, I actually was in contact with Phil Schiller of Apple, and I complained about the missing Ambient Light Sensor, and Battery Percentage not being present and I think he might reconsider these things for the next iPod touch, or release a minimal update to the 5th gen including these fixes. I do think the iPod touch should be on the same release schedule as the iPad mini though, due to the fact that both have similar specs, but the iPad mini also lacks some things the iPod touch has now, like a camera flash.

After reading that, I hope he does take that into account.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
It's not gonna happen this year, not a "new" design, anyway. The best that can be expected are new colors and the inclusion of a 16gb model. It's a great device as is, my daughter has one and I'm a little envious despite having an iPhone 4S. I just don't think they make enough money on them to justify updating it yearly anymore. That's not to say I think it's days are doomed. I just think it's a minor player in the iOS field. The next iPod touch will most likely be based on the internals of the iPhone 5 or 5s (or whatever they call it).

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
They would probably just add a 16GB Ipod touch 5th gen and they should.

Ipad mini price steal buyers who initially wanted to get the Touch. Some people even feel they dont need 32GB so why not get a 16GB with bigger screen and an "Adaptor" included.

They should drop Touch 4, this is silly. I dont think the worse part is the A4 Chip but a 256ram. Even the cheapest Android now carry 512mb or even 1G. U simply will just have all apps closed down all the time.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Your right they will probably release a iPod touch 5 16 GB and retire the slow iPT 4.

Next year when the iPhone 6 comes out then they will most likely release a iPT 6 with iPhone 5s specs. I think we can expect a new touch every two years.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Your right they will probably release a iPod touch 5 16 GB and retire the slow iPT 4.

Next year when the iPhone 6 comes out then they will most likely release a iPT 6 with iPhone 5s specs. I think we can expect a new touch every two years.

I know you said you used to have touch 4g and was slow on iOS 5.1.1 firmware with lots of lag and crashes. But what about iOS 5.1? Was it smooth and crash-free especially when using Safari? Because that has been my experience as my touch came with 5.1 and was buttery smooth while 5.1.1 is not-mainly Safari.

Still on 5.1.1 as iOS 6 changed lots of things that I don't like. Hoping Ive releases a great iOS 7 for touch 4g with good free RAM available.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
A 128GB will be a bonus and I think will sell well.
Add a few extra features, God knows what, and it's a pretty decent update.
Apple needs to push the iPod. It's iPhone sales are proving unreliable with competition from Samsung.

iPads are selling well but you can't quite fit that in your pocket at work, gym, shopping.

I will only ever own an iPhone when it comes in 128GB :apple:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
For iPod Touch 6, a couple features I'd like to see:

1) Add a true compass and GPS already.

2) Give them larger capacities (64, 128) and then Apple can safely get rid of the old iPod Classics (people still want those mainly because they had the larger storage)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple needs to push the iPod. It's iPhone sales are proving unreliable with competition from Samsung.

iPods have been declining for years.

Samsung is only a threat if its marketshare you're after. Apple has always been after profit, and the iphone still rakes in more than half of the entire smartphone industry's yearly profit.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
iPods have been declining for years.

Samsung is only a threat if its marketshare you're after. Apple has always been after profit, and the iphone still rakes in more than half of the entire smartphone industry's yearly profit.

Posts in this section have been declining too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I would like to see a price drop. 300$ for an iPod touch is a little ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Will not happen, especially since, the iPod Touch is an iPhone without the cellular radio(s). The price of the 32GB iPod at $299 versus the iPhone 5 32GB at $799 (unactivated) when the only difference between the two is the phone features makes the iPod a deal. That, or we're getting ripped off on iPhones. :))

pod5g

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
I'm thinking maybe. I just wish the iPods would get numbers like the iPhone.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Will not happen, especially since, the iPod Touch is an iPhone without the cellular radio(s). The price of the 32GB iPod at $299 versus the iPhone 5 32GB at $799 (unactivated) when the only difference between the two is the phone features makes the iPod a deal. That, or we're getting ripped off on iPhones. :))

There is a massive price difference, but there are far more differences than the lack of cellular radio. The internals are totally different. Look at the the iFixit teardowns.

Different cameras, different screens, different internal speakers and microphones, even a different home button assembly: the iPod touch has a much cheaper button mechanism.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
There is a massive price difference, but there are far more differences than the lack of cellular radio. The internals are totally different. Look at the the iFixit teardowns.

Different cameras, different screens, different internal speakers and microphones, even a different home button assembly: the iPod touch has a much cheaper button mechanism.

Different cameras (5MP on the pod, 8MP on the phone), but the same 5-element lens assembly. The same IPS retina screen. The Touch has the retractable loop post for adding an optional wrist-strap. The iPod Touch is smaller by volume by 20% than the iPhone 5. The iPod Touch has the A5 proc instead of the A6 found in the phone.

iFixit doesn't mention the speakers on the iPod Touch on its teardown, and only mentions the ear speaker - a component that the devices don't share in common. So, I'm not quite sure where you got that information.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525/4

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+Teardown/10803/1

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
It may be the same panel, but the display assembly (including glass, touch sensor etc.) is apparently different (and cheaper). It says so on the iFixit teardown for the 5th gen touch.

I haven't seen anything definitive about the speaker in the bottom, but I own both devices and there is a massive difference in sound quality and volume. It's not surprising really, since there's a massive difference in the thickness of the devices.

grace4star

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Who knows? But there isn't much rumors or news about it. It could or could not be, considering that the iPod Touch 4th gen was released in 2010, and then the 5th in 2012. But then again, I don't think so, because Apple is way more busy with other stuff. New iOS, new iPhone, new iPad, new iPadMini, new macs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.